In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Firewood Drying Times Adjustment Factor for Different Climates esp. Summer Humidity

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by SteveWest, Feb 1, 2020.

1. SteveWest

SteveWest

I noticed this resource which has a lot of good information including drying times:

Firewood BTU & Drying Chart

One question I have is what climate is this based on? I am asking that since there are areas like in the Southwest where the summers are quite dry (they even can humidify- not dehumidify) in the summer to cool a space. Where I live in the summertime you definitely need to dehumidify though I know there are areas where dehumidification is even more important.

Thus we all know that depending especially on how dry your summers are will to some degree affect drying times like shown in the above reference. Any idea how to quantify this or what conditions the drying times were based? I know these times are a general guideline and perhaps based on the trees being felled in the winter time but still curious.

Too bad it isn't cost effective to ship my wood to the Southwest to season and then ship it back. ;-)

Just a question.

2. Ctwoodtick

Ctwoodtick

I’m in Southern New England and the dry times in the chart seem accurate for me. My location is on the coast and humid.

3. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Accurate for MN for the sugar maple and paper birch that I burn (24 months is best).

The only exception I notice is for Poplar. I cut enough for heating our camp during October and November hunting seasons in late March or early April. If spit, stacked and covered it is good and dry for burning in 6 months. I am talking about smaller diameter trees, not the monsters.

4. creek chub

creek chub

The chart seems accurate for SW VA. I do split my wood thin mainly so it’s easier for my wife to handle and it speeds up drying time too. I normally only cut dead standing oaks. I’m going to compare CSS dead standing vs green drying time just to be a nerd

Chazsbetterhalf and FatBoy85 like this.
  5. SteveWest

SteveWest

I imagine where I am in Western MD the chart is accurate for me.

I imagine in the Southwest and even areas in West Coast states that are more dry in the summer the recommended times can be shortened. I would be curious by how much a dryer climate (especially a dryer summer) shortens wood drying times.

FatBoy85 likes this.
  6. billb3

billb3

From the reviews section of your link:

Screen Shot 2020-02-02 at 12.01.11 PM.png

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.