In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Stihl MS271 Farmboss....get another?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Pricey106, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Pricey106

Pricey106

I bought a MS 271 Farmboss 20" bar 2 years ago, and so far love it. Cut about 14 cords with it. I am planning on getting a spare saw. I thought it would be a good idea to get the same thing...thinking same chains, bars, parts. What do you guys think? I want to stay below 400 bucks.

2. Andimus Prime

Andimus Prime

I would look into used pro saws like the 026, 260, 261 if you wanna stay with .325. The 036, 360, 361, 362 are great too but they run 3/8 b&c.

amateur cutter, Chaz, Stlshrk and 3 others like this.
  3. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

It makes a lot of sense to do it that way(fleet style) but maybe not that fun or adventurous. In the end do what makes you feel good.

4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've been using Husqvarna 16" saws for years. I have three of them, different models. There have been a few times over the years where a bigger saw with longer bar would have been nice. But, the 16" models are fine for 99% of what I cut. And as you mentioned, same chain size.

5. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Is this your only saw?

If so, I'd be looking to get into a 70-80cc saw for a 2 saw plan. A 50cc and a 70-80cc saw is the perfect combo so you can do everything from limb branches to buck 24"+ diameter logs. Even if it means waiting and saving more money, that's what I'd do. Something like a Husky 372, or a Stihl 462 is going to run you at least double what you want to spend, but your cutting time will be cut in half, and you wont be trying to cut logs way too big for your saw to handle.

6. farmer steve

farmer steve

I know there were some coil issues on those saws a few years ago. I had to replace one for a buddy. Sounds like yours is running good. I try and stay with the same bars and chains in the same cc class. Not sure how good a repoire you have with your dealer but I would talk to him about his best price on a MS 261. I know that's a little more than you want to spend but more power than the 271 in the same cc class. I got mine new for about $100 less than MSRP. Good luck in you quest.

7. AJtree88

AJtree88

This is solid advice. I’d be more inclined to try a bigger, used saw as it will give your lineup more versatility, but the ms271 is a good all arounder kinda saw.

8. bushpilot

bushpilot

I like being able to choose the saw for the job. So I would buy a different one.

9. creek chub

creek chub

If you are happy with the power of the 271, you may consider the stihl 241cm. It’s great for limbing and smaller firewood duties. I have a ported 241 and ported 362. I run the 241 80-90% of the time except when blocking up larger logs. A stock 241 is impressive if you can find a used one.

10. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

i upgraded from a 290 to a 261 pro model saw last Summer. Problem is its a $600+ saw out of your price range. Lighter weight and a better power to weight ratio. When the dealer showed me one a year ago when i was in for a part. I fell in love with it.
    Came with a 20" bar and i can interchange bars/chains between it and the 290 (which is now collecting dust in my workshop)
    Consider a good used 261 which is around your price range. Ive cut 18" red oak with the 20" bar and it handled it fine.
    Good saw and built for a lot of use. I prefer the non Mtronic, but thats me.
    Just my two cents worth.

11. Reddingnative

Reddingnative

I have ran a ms271 for over two years now, I really like it. Has cut about 40 cord, works fantastic. I went with a new ms311 with a 25” bar, andam super happy with it. I tried a ms441 and boy it was great, but was used and likely needed a few things, so I chose new and love it. Hard to roll the dice at $500, so I pulled the trigger and used it to finish the job I was doing. It definitely cuts quicker than the ms271, but nowhere near the pro saws.

M2theB, mirnldi, buZZsaw BRAD and 2 others like this.
  12. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I've found great utility in having interchangable parts. I don't need any more fun or adventure in my life. Too much of that already. You only have to be an expert on one saw, and one set of parts. I suspect I'm in the minority on this one, but I use my saws as tools, and I get no thrill from variety. I have different sizes, because as tools, I'd rather use the lightest one possible when I'm on the end holding it up for hours and hours, and sometimes the small ones are not enough.

Once the battery powered ones are up to snuff, I'm putting finicky two stroke engines in my rear view mirror.

PatrickNY, M2theB, mark.nowak and 2 others like this.
  13. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I see your point, however no one saw is going to do all cutting chores great. A good limber won’t be a good big log bucker or noodler and vise versa. If you only handle small wood I’d agree, but big logs are fun to cut and produce a lot of splits quickly. If someone were to only have one saw, I’d say a pro grade 60ish cc model would be the best option.

14. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Agreed!

I have three gas saws of different sizes, and three electric saws. I bought a 16" bar for the biggest one, it came with a 20". It's no fun keeping track of all this stuff, at least for me. Different chains, files tools, etc.

In my perfect world, I'd have one lightweight, powerful, battery powered saw with three different length bars. I'd buy a spool of chain, and have only one set of tools. Actually, would need two, cause a backup is almost essential, to get back to Pricey's question.

We are not there yet with the technology, but will get there. I'm tired of worrying about ethanol in gas, mixing oil,carb tuning, and all that other nonsense that we just don't need anymore.

15. mirnldi

mirnldi

I had a 271. I sold it. But now I wish I never did. Mine always ran and cut real good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmer steve and buZZsaw BRAD like this.
  16. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

what did you replace it with?

17. mirnldi

mirnldi

A 361. Then I bought a 362 mtronic. So I wasn’t using the 271 much. Then I was missing a lighter saw and bought a 260 that hasn’t been very consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmer steve and M2theB like this.