In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why not split vertical?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Jan 23, 2020.

1. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Put it on blocks. Block height = your desired height of the work station.

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz, Slocum and 4 others like this.
  2. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

I also like vertical. I have a bulging disk in lower back and I can't stand for long periods of time. I have my stump and boat cushion so I am comfortable. We stage the to the left of the splitter starting at my seat. 3/4 rows high. I just roll them down when I need a new log so I don't have to hey up for the next one. Once that row is done then have to restate. Have a cart right next to me to toss the splits in to take to the stacking area. Works for me.

3. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

I like vertical :rofl: :lol:

4. walt

walt

I didn't copycat anything I took a regular horz. + vert. Wallinstein wood splitter and put it up on a trailer. Looked on you tube before I built it and didn't find anything to copy. Used it one time and decided it was never going back on the ground , so I cut the wheels off. Then bought a dual spool valve and put the log lift on. Have built two more of these for friends. My wife claims I am cheap but I say I am thrifty. Had the splitter for 15 yrs ,bought trailer for 80.00,log lift cylinder for 70.00, sasafras for 100.00 . Valve for 200.00 ,welding and hoSes for 500.00. So I don't have a lot invested compared to commercial vertical splitters .Probably have all the comfort of those units just not the fast cycle time they have.

Loon, T.Jeff Veal, Eric VW and 10 others like this.
  5. walt

walt

And I might mount a seat on there just for Dennis.

6. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Walt,

It wasn't meant as an insult. If anything a compliment. Just reminded me a lot of the Powersplit splitters is all. No hard feelings.

Here is a youtube video showing them.

Cheers

7. walt

walt

Hey no hard feelings,it's all good. I had used my splitter for years mostly horizontal but when I had big rounds would flip it up to vertical. Really liked splitting vertical just didn't like sitting down or kneeling, I'm kind of a big feller and standing up is most comfortable for me. Just wanted to raise my splitter a couple feet and have a work table that was easy to maneuver big rounds on. Putting the whole thing on a small trailer was the simplistic way. The Powersplit units sure look nice but I think the smallest one is 8,000.00

8. Screwloose

Screwloose

Well when we bought our splitter (speeco) nobody even sold vertical splitters. I do cut 3 logs to a convenient length and set the splitter on them to get it waist high.

9. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

:BrianK: This is America man! I believe in freedom. I believe you my split in any orientation that suits you needs and equipment.

Should I split vertically or horizontally, is a question that has no correct or incorrect answer. Either works for the individual who chose it.:BrianK:

10. Erik B

Erik B

What I have found in splitting horizontal or vertical is the ground you are working on. If you have a large flat area where you can stage your rounds and have easy access to them, that is one thing. If you are working on a flat spot in the middle of a hill, trying to move rounds would have you running down the hill to retrieve the wayward wood. There is more than personal preference in deciding how one wishes to split wood.

11. Stinny

Stinny

:D

12. Maina

Maina

Failed back surgery...that’s me, and I can do just fine splitting vertical but not horizontal for more than a few minutes. I sit on a bucket and fill the tractor bucket and head to the pile. Breaks it up nicely. I don’t have to get off the bucket to finish a load, it’s all about setting things up ahead just like when you’re splitting horizontally. This is what works for me, and I’d say since most splitters being sold now do both it must be pretty popular. And I agree 100%, it’s a matter of personal preference. We’re all built a little different thankfully

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I split vertical all the time only its with an ax or maul. I absolutely love it :axe:and wouldnt have it any other way! You'll never see this: IMG_1685.JPG

14. Spencer

Spencer

I split vertical. Since my splitter is on the back of the tractor, i can just back the tractor up to the round if it is big. It also has a PTO pump and has fast cycle times. If i wanted it to go faster, i could just get a bigger PTO pump lol (i have 32 PTO hp to work with). After splitting, i will either pile it or throw it in the back of the UTV.

15. Slocum

Slocum

I split vertical 99% of the time because I split by myself 99% of the time. I’m more productive that way. I make a big stack of rounds beside where I sit, then I have a 4X7 pallet that I set on the other side of me that I toss the wood on. When pallet is full I carry it with tractor to where I’m stacking. Everyone’s situation is different, I split at home all the time and splitting vertical works best for me and there’s isn’t much bending over or handling of wood. BTW Walt’s splitter is sweet!!!! I really think I need one like his.

16. SpeedShop64

SpeedShop64

My splitter will split horizontal and vertical. Vertical is a PITA. If you have a big round that doesn't split all the way and you have to rotate the round its a pain on the ground. Plus kills your knees. Usually my dad and I can get pretty big rounds up onto the splitter. If it's something we cant pick up together we will wedge and sledge it into quarters. My grandfather built us a work table that fits around the splitter so you have a place to set the large split while you work on the other half.

17. motoguy

motoguy

I much prefer horizontal. I like the working height, and my engagement lever is in a more comfortable position to actuate while horizontal. I can use my left hand to catch "fallers" while running the lever with my right, retc. My oversize table holds the bits I'm working with, and gravity keeps the rounds in place until the wedge hits them. If my rounds aren't cut square, or I'm splitting a weird crotch or knot, it doesn't matter... they stay in place. Generally, I operate much more efficiently horizontal.

I only use vertical for large rounds that are too big to lift. Usually 20" or larger rounds if solo, or rounds that can't be 2 manned. As mentioned above, the footplate is too small for these. They're wobbly, won't stay square to the plate, and usually require me to muscle them into place (and hold them) while my son or dad run the ram. Since these big rounds have to be "chunked out", you then have to spin these big rounds on the foot (which they are trying to fall off of), etc. Overall, it's just a big PITA.

I've consider making a big "foot extension" plate to use while vertical. At least that would keep the rounds from falling off the foot. However, this ties in with another problem splitting vertically... lack of level ground. I'm usually splitting on some sort of incline. Not a big deal horizontal, but when vertical, the foot usually needs to be on the "downhill" side (or it won't stand vertical). This is part of the issue with the big rounds trying to slip off the foot, and/or having to keep them muscled into place while they are being split. This same incline problem poses a bit of an issue trying to create a foot plate extension for use while vertical. It exacerbates the uneven-ground issue.

Of course, it seems the ground is always greasy/leafy/slick when trying to muscle the big 35t ram/beam into vertical as well. Everything about it is just one big PITA.

Which is why I plan on building a log lifter...

18. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

Walt, does you cylinder lay horizontal when the trailer is being pulled down the road?

19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I understand. Tough to live with but we do what we have to do.

As for the bending over, that again is one reason I will not do horizontal. I see people bending over to pick up logs to put on their splitters and it really makes me wonder. The way I split does not require bending. Some seem to think when they split vertically they have to stand and yes, that will make them having to bend over. I certainly would not nor could not do that. I sit and split; just like Redneck does.

101_0167.JPG Randy.jpg

20. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Hey Yawner, don't take this the wrong way, my four year old son was asking me a BAZILLION questions last night and I thought of you.

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.