In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

This is a bothersome tale....

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Greg, Jan 22, 2020.

1. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I re-read the original post and have been thinking about it. You say you have a 4wd tractor with a grapple. I see you live in central PA. With it being mid winter why can’t you build a quick log bridge over the creek, and get the logs from that portion of the property to a more accessible area on the other side of the creek? Then come spring you can work on bucking it with whatever machine without disturbing the wetlands. You’d save alot of time and it’d be mostly seat time. I have a 45 hp Kioti and a Worksaver grapple. Between the grapple and my 3 point log hog, I could easily pull out at least 6-8, 12” diameter x 10-12’ long logs at a time. Over the course of a day, with one other person helping who can fell and limb, you’d make a huge log pile in quick order. Could split the wood with him or her, and have no money invested.

2. Greg

Greg

I have though of that, and loggers that timbered nearby did exactly that. Have researched a culvert and permanent bridge, which I wont bore you with what this takes to do legally in my township. But temporary could be a possibility.
    in some of the thickest stuff, might just have to let them go, but the thought of usable firewood rotting on my own property I don't like. A couple of guys near me have responded to this thread, so I will keep researching and find a way.

3. Horkn

Horkn

If you can simply load from a curb, or a drive up pile of wood, and load into a big trailer, then using an ATV with a small trailer simply takes more time and handling of wood.

Obviously, the less you have to handle it, the better. Everyone's situation is different. If you can simply drive the ATV with the smaller trailer to where you split it, then there's no extra handling.

4. Brad M

Brad M

Could you offer it to a local Boy Scout troop to let them cut, process and sell it as a fund raiser for them? Troop leaders running saws and a bunch of strong, young backs to haul split and stack? They might be able to make some money at it and help you out at the same time.

5. Pricey106

Pricey106

Hey Greg I am about 2 hours north of you in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area...wish I was 2 miles of you....I love hoarding with my ATV. Maybe if my truck wasn't ready for retirement, gas was $1 a gallon and I needed wood bad...good luck finding some help.

6. Biddleman

Biddleman

Greg Im just south of you east of Dork, uh I mean York. Once I get my round score moved, maybe I can be of some help.

7. farmer steve

farmer steve

You were right the first time:rofl: :lol:. I think a couple of us could knock out a bunch of wood for Greg in a short amount of time.

8. jrider

jrider

I think you have to look at it from an efficiency point of view. If someone drops a bunch of coins on the ground, why spend time picking up pennies when there are quarters lying on the ground as well?
    We are all limited by time. I would go for what makes sense time wise.

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Welcome to the forum BronzyFern

Midwinter and farmer steve like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Greg, what you are describing sounds exactly like a great setup for a weekend get-together! You can be amazed at how much wood can be put up and everyone still have a great time.

For example, for the last 2 years during our GTG here in MI, some of us have gone to a neighbor's to put up wood for him. He has an outdoor boiler and I believe we cut close to 9 cord each year we've done this for him. The longest it has taken us is 3 hours! Then everyone comes back to our place to eat and party but some work is done too. The following day lots of work is done and much food is consumed along with a grand time. I highly advise it. I'd be happy to tell you more about a GTG if you are interested. Send me a PM.

Horkn, brenndatomu, TBONE and 3 others like this.
  11. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Greg,

Another thought.

In MA, we have Chapter 61 which is a classification of your land by the assessor as forestry. It usually entails having a forestry plan drafted by a licensed forester and it results in much lower taxes. Same with 61A (agriculture land), and 61B (recreation land). I assume PA has something similar in their General Laws, that could result in your land being taxed cheaper and the forester would almost certainly advise removing the dead Ash trees in his/her plan, as well as a stream/wetlands crossing. Presented to Conservation Commission in your town/township should be pretty straight forward.

12. jo191145

jo191145

Haven’t really had a chance to put it to work yet on woods clearing duties. Bought a used log arch and rigged 12V winch to it. Sure beats a small garden trailer for volume. No loading and unloading rounds just grab it and go.
    You can buck off a portion of the log at home while it’s in the air or just drop the whole thing. Whatever you prefer.
    You’ll probably find the logs of those ash are the only thing worth saving. Branches seem to turn to muck real fast. My limited experience anyway.

5153FDDA-76C9-4004-B391-F19439E681C7.jpeg

13. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

buZZsaw BRAD hasnt showed yet this post was yesterday, check your woods. Oh man i wish you were closer so we could lay the smack down on that ash

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Greg , im with Backwoods Savage . A GTG with some guys with equipment and a lot of wood could get done...even if its just pulling trees/logs out of the woods for later processing. Seems like a lot of Pennsylvanian FHC guys close by.
    I too, agree with you...hate to see good trees go to waste.

15. Spencer

Spencer

Would a 3pt tractor winch help the situation? Not sure how far away some of the ash are to drier areas on your property, but thats usually my solution. My winch has 230' of cable, so you can reach out and get some logs.

16. PA Dutch

PA Dutch

Greg you are not the only one with this problem in central PA. I'm part owner of 50 acres with a large amount of dead standing chestnut Oak that the bark did not fall off of. I will be unable to process the majority of it before it is to far gone. At the same time I am getting offers of "free" wood that is easier to access. I have the problem of chosing which wood to hoard, yet I feel a pang for the wood that will end up rotting. I wish I had the time and/or capability to hoard it all but alas I have limits.

17. TBONE

TBONE

Good Lord why can't folks like you be within a stones through of me. I'd love to have a problem like this. GTG is a great idea. A TON of wood would definitely get processed during one of these events. Backwoods Savage GTG being just one example of this. You possibly could even send folks home with some of processed wood. Pending certain laws though.

18. Greg

Greg

I would be up for a GTG sometime. Though I’m not sure if the 25 mile haul limit in PA is still valid. Might not be since emb is through the whole state and beyond???? I can check

Since the journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step, and my wife was a willing atv driver, I cut and helped load and she drove and unloaded while I kept cutting. Then she helped load and I took it from there. Started at 510 and finished 545, two heaping loads of 4ft logs which fit in OWB. Forgot to take pic of loads as it was dark when done, but this is rig. I think now staged and ready we can hit half hour. 0062C483-088C-44F9-A57B-87BC4BF4BCB3.jpeg

19. Stinny

Stinny

Looks like your bride helped a lot Greg... how much of one tree would those two heaping loads be?

farmer steve and Midwinter like this.
  20. Greg

Greg

Though I have bigger ones, these two were 6-8 inc diameter ones. Anything less than 3-4 inches just flattening out and leaving.

Midwinter, farmer steve and Stinny like this.