In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

This is a bothersome tale....

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Greg, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Greg

Greg

I work with arborists and certain removal gigs and get my large dump trailer filled that way pretty often, and process 30+ cords a year roughly. I haul it home and process it for my hungry OWB and the stoves of some friends that help. Meanwhile, I live in the middle of 21 acres of wooded area, with a pretty good population of dead ash trees. I have tried to cut them up as soon as they fall, as I simply could not get to all the dead ones standing. Even though I have a 4 wheel drive tractor with bucket and grapple, and a wagon, due to creek locations, some marsh area etc.. it is difficult to get to a lot of it. So what has worked best has been my 4 wheeler and small cart. Issue is that two hours of the 4 wheeler route might produce third to half a cord at most, while that same time on a road side gig with my large trailer could do 1.5 cords. So what I need is a small army of 4 wheelers and carts (might have 100-150 ash trees, still standing, and 25 or so down), of people that know enough about what they are doing to not die. Craigslist terrifies me based on who that might produce. But I am haunted by all this wood going to waste. And I know as one man in a 4 wheeler and cart I couldn't possibly get to it all before it goes bad. Any thoughts appreciated.

FatBoy85, M2theB, Maina and 12 others like this.
  2. farmer steve

farmer steve

Wish I was closer Greg. If nothing else to saw while you haul. Get the ones that look the worst dead wise first. They hold up pretty good standing dead. I look for ones that have a greenish fungus growing around the base and they should be cut first.

FatBoy85, M2theB, Maina and 7 others like this.
  3. Yawner

Yawner

I just happened to view a video of a man with an ATV, which I have, and a nice trailer with a winch to dump it. I got a trailer, but no winch setup. Really like his trailer. ()

Sorry, I can't help haul ash trees!

4. BronzyFern

BronzyFern

Where in Central PA are you located, Greg? I’m near State College and would help get rid of those pesky ash if you are nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Greg

Greg

I live not far from Harrisburg, near where 81 crosses Susquehanna

6. Stinny

Stinny

Would you rather still pull those trees yourself, when you can, or have others do it? I think you'll end up with the least ground damage (no matter who does the work) by using tracked ATVs with the logs on wide skids. If you could get a crew... have a couple experienced guys dropping and trimming/prepping the logs, couple guys on 2 dif ATVs sliding them to your log yard area, where you can get at the logs with your grapple. I know my respect for how much work goes into getting the trees down and to my yard area goes up every year I get older... ;) ... good luck.

7. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

How much are you looking to pay the helpers?

8. Greg

Greg

Was looking to give all the wood to the helpers I guess.

9. billb3

billb3

Here, ( before the housing boom ) there were dirt roads into the woods about every quarter mile.
    From what I have been told they used to haul logs thru the woods to the roads with horses onto large haul out wagons .
    When I was a kid all those dirt roads were little more than tractor/wagon ruts. You couldn't drive down them any more as they were overgrown, but the ruts were pretty easy to follow.

10. Greg

Greg

Plan I'm leaning toward now is trying to cut most nights for an hour and only bring one load back each night. Maybe work towards an all day hauling brigade once I have that much cut. I'm pretty sure if i get it cut, i'll find a way to go get it. One friend with 4 wheeler and cart may have interest.

11. SpeedShop64

SpeedShop64

I have the same issue on my wood lot. It can get very wet and the soil does not drain well. I've had every piece of equipment stuck more than once and I still haven't learned my lesson. I have two windows of opportunity to harvest wood. Summertime in the middle of July when the mosquitoes are blood thirsty. And in the middle of February if we have has a good freeze and not a lot of snow.

12. farmer steve

farmer steve

I thought you were farther north . Must have you confused with another member from central PA.:picard: East or west shore? I'm just below Dillsburg.

13. Greg

Greg

west shore, one mile from intersection of 81 and 114

14. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

Maybe you can run the saw and let a hardworking kid load and haul, even if your not there.
    I will cut wood and my son will load the wood with the four wheeler and wagon through the week.

15. Greg

Greg

I might try to find a hired hauler to use my gear. I have four sons but sad/happy to say they are all married and gone, and the current grandson and two on the way aren't old enough....yet. :) But this wood will be long gone/gamey within two years.

16. Horkn

Horkn

I do the same. ATV with either the 4x8 trailer or or a small yard cart or ice fishing sled tired behind the quad. Or I cheat and go up the farmers field in winter, which I could just leave the trailer on the truck and do less dicking around.

Hauling in woods with an ATV and shall yard trailer or the sled is tedious. I only burn 5 cords a year, and don't do 40 cords like you do. I hoard from Craigslist too, so I don't have to do all my hauling with the ATV.

Honestly, an ATV hoarding group is probably the only way to get it all.

Maybe a log arch for behind ATVs will help make it more efficient? TurboDiesel , what do you think? I think it would have to be more efficient with a log arch.

17. Marshel54

Marshel54

Not for sure where your are running into slowness problems with the ATV hauling. I believe you are felling, bucking, loading a trailer, hauling and off loading.
    How about a log arch and transport the logs to a processing area. Buck and split at your convince.
    atv-log-skidder-down[1].jpg
    ATV Log Skidder - ATV Log Arch Hauler Ball Hitch Adapters by Country ATV. Made in the USA.
    walt and TurboDiesel have one of them. They seem to work well. Maybe it would allow you to get all the logs out during dry season.
    I know the feeling. I also have a little bottom ground that restricts me from cutting year round. I have buried the Mini before and don't care to go through that again. Would be a wonderful day to bring some trees up, but way to wet.

Another thought. Host a GTG and you would probably get all the wood downed and hauled. In a weekend.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  18. RobGuru

RobGuru

If such was organized, I would be interested. No too far from you... Adams County to your south.

19. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

me too

20. gboutdoors

gboutdoors

I have the same problem only with dead standing Red Oak. Built our home on 23 acres 10 years ago. The year before we bought the land the Gypsy moth came though and then that winter the winter moth hit it also. Most oaks 10” and under could not take the stress and died. I have been at it for ten years trying to get to the dead standing before they drop but it’s a loosing battle. I offer to let anyone who wants to come cut with me and we split the load but it’s still not enough. We still have hundreds standing but many on the ground now. Good luck with your task but like me learn to let some go as nature will use them up.