In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Log lift idea for splitter?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by motoguy, Jan 22, 2020.

1. motoguy

motoguy

I'm researching what would be involved in adding a log lift or crane to my DHT 35t splitter. I like the idea of a hydraulic lift, as the crane/winch based options seem to be very slow and a hydraulic unit is self-contained (no battery needed). Still, I'm interested in seeing what you guys consider the "best" ideas/photos you've run across, regarding adding a "way to lift a big 'ol round onto a big box store" splitter.

Currently, I'm either noodling them down with my saw, or wrestling them to the splitter, and using the splitter in a vertical orientation. I'd be perfectly content making my splitter horizontal-only, if I could come up with a decent lift idea.

I do have access to a large CNC plasma table, so the ability to cut/make parts is within the realm of reason. I'm just looking for ideas.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  2. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Simple. Lots of ideas on youtube.

3. Stinny

Stinny

Nice n simple... me like... :stacker:

4. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

walt has a sweeeet setup...:yes:
    And welcome to FHC motoguy :salute:

5. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

The corded cordless drill was interesting.

6. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

This was nice and simple.

7. Stinny

Stinny

Yes sir... sure is... :yes:... both ideas would be worth whippin up...

8. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

X2

Brandon Scott likes this.
  9. motoguy

motoguy

I like this idea a lot. I've looked at a lot of videos over the past few days. I like the side-lift / table setup, like this video. However, I don't like the aspect of electric (needing a battery) or additional hydraulics (expense/plumbing/snag points of additional valves, hoses and cylinders).

I'm trying to come up with a way to let the cylinder lift a side-mount table like that. Some type of harness/metal "sleeve" that slips over the wedge, connected to a cable, some sort of a pulley to re-direct the force, and then a pivot or lever arm which will extend one side (lift the table) when pulled on the other side (like a bellcrank). I'd also like the setup to be like this one, where it can be easily removed from the splitter for transport / storage. My DHT 35t splitter has several pre-drilled holes in the beam for the existing HD/long log table. It also has a large flange on the bottom of the beam. I think between the holes and the flanges I can create a secure attachment point. My main challenge is figuring out how to "push a rope", so that pulling the cylinder back will lift the table. I'd like for all bracketry wire/cabling to be run under the table, vs lift points on the top. That way if a round rolls weird or something, it's not tangled up in the lift apparatus.

Stinny, brenndatomu and Brandon Scott like this.
  10. motoguy

motoguy

I'd like to use the main ram, as this video does. However, I want it to be a side-lift. I think I could create a slide-on "sleeve" which slips over the foot of the splitter, with a pullet mounted on a bracket out on the corner. This would redirect the cable 90 degrees, in-line with the lift table. The next issue would be directing that cable -under- the lift, and figuring out how to get it to lift the table when retracted. A top side connection point would be ok, as long as it's designed in such a way that a round can't roll into it.

Stinny, brenndatomu and Brandon Scott like this.
  11. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

6670F1BE-06D4-4340-B449-2A5729E9D72E.jpeg

My log lift....

it is simple....not real cheap though..

Stinny, brenndatomu and eatonpcat like this.
  12. motoguy

motoguy

Maybe something like this. Build a "sleeve" that will wrap around the thick part of the foot plate. Roughly horseshoe shaped. Perhaps a hinge at the top, so it can wrap around the bottom taper as well, with a clamp or latch to hold it together.

DHT foot mount clamp idea.JPG

That would go over the foot of the splitter, something like this. I think it would be strong enough to mount a fixed idler wheel, to redirect the "pull" of the cable across the splitter to the table.

splitter idea.jpg

Then to figure out how to use that to lift the table.

Something like this, combined with the table idea above, would be faster than electric (and not require a battery), less expensive than a hydraulic system, and easily removable. When not lifting, just slide the sleeve off the wedge, and let the whole cable system dangle/rest on the ground at the idler.

Just brainstorming. Feel free to tell me why this is stupid.

brenndatomu, Stinny and Brandon Scott like this.
  13. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

From my perspective, in your drawing the cable would be in your way. If the cable hooked to the back of the wedge/front of ram and ran to the back and then to a pulley to the lift table, when the ram is retracted this will pull the cable lifting the table i.e. the piece of wood, when splitting with this method the table raises and lowers as the ram moves back and forth.

14. motoguy

motoguy

You are correct, the cable would be right in the work area in my drawing. My idea would be to load/lift the table, lock the table (something like the lock-notch in the video above), then slide the sleeve off the wedge, thereby disconnecting everything. Toss the sleeve on the ground below the foot or something while I split the round. The idea of the lift going up/down with each cycle of the ram would annoy me.

Running to the other end of the lift is an idea I hadn't considered. As outriggers will likely also be added, they could be used to house an idler as well.

splitter 2.jpg

15. motoguy

motoguy

The more I watch this video, the more I like that table. The "beam clamp" attachment idea is exactly what I had in mind. No welding, nothing permanent, quick to remove, etc. Drill a couple of holes on either side of the mount, insert some bolts and nuts, and you have stops that would keep anything from sliding as well. For that matter, if you don't want to weld, some sort of clamps (even c-clamps) would lock it all in place.

I even thought "I may as well just build that, and see how well it works." However, watching people occasionally struggle with round shifting on a lift table, I'd like a way to stop the table (wherever it's at), go to the round, and adjust/shift/whatever it. With this method, if something goes sideways while lifting, your two options are pretty much 1) drop everything, or 2) lift it to the locking point, and hope all goes well. I'd like to be able to stop all movement right when / where things start to go hinky.

Stinny and Brandon Scott like this.
  16. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

When your table becomes lifted, if you had a circle/section of pipe welded to the beam and to the table that when the table is lifted you could stick a hitch pin or something similar through the two pipes, the table would stay in the up position without hurting anything as it is controlled by a cable. Then if you are not needing the lift as a lift but only as a table, it can stay locked in the up position. Clear as mud??????:p

17. motoguy

motoguy

Yeah, something like that was my initial plan, but I like the idea of the notches in the catch arm, per the video. Easier to unlock / drop. Heck, his table (even with the manual lift stuff still there) with the ability to lift via the ram would be almost ideal, IMO.

Stinny and Brandon Scott like this.
  18. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Motoguy, I'm not sure what type of budget you have, but check out RuggedMade log splitters. RuggedMade sells a complete hydraulic log lift package. It's listed in their log splitter parts section. I assembled mine with no hassles. I've put some monster stuff on my lift. It's rated for 350 lbs.