In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

22 Ton, 25 Ton or 37 Ton....is there really a difference??

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Nordic Splitter, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Nordic Splitter

Nordic Splitter

Decided to finally bite the bullet and purchase a wood splitter this spring...With that said...Concerning Tonnage...Is there really a difference>>> I mean is there anyone out there who has found some wood that a 22 Ton just won't split??? What about a 25 Ton or even a 37 Ton? Most of the wood I get is Ash, Maple, Cheery, some Elm and Locust....along with a log load of Pine every now and then. I'm thinking a 22 Ton will be fine...but want to make sure...

TBONE, FatBoy85, metalcuttr and 5 others like this.
  2. yamadog

yamadog

got a 35 ton organ have yet to find a pice of wood to stop it i split oak,ash,gum,beetch,birtch,hickory,walnut, way i understand lower ton faster they are.

3. Felter

Felter Banned

I had a 25 ton. I never found anything it couldnt split thru. crotches, gum sycamore. cottonwood. it ate em all.

4. Chris F

Chris F

I never had a problem with my 22 ton either. I just wanted the security of a full beam and you know, bigger is better and all that.

Woodsnwoods, TBONE, FatBoy85 and 7 others like this.
  5. Slocum

Slocum

I’m wanting a bigger splitter for 2 reasons, log lift and a 4 way wedge. If your ok with a smaller splitter I’d be looking at cycle times. I bought my 22ton Duerr 27 years ago used. 2 engines, a cylinder and a valve later it still does what I need it to do. It’s just slow.

6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You are right...it will split 99% of what you throw at it...chances are that if it wont split it, a larger splitter may, but it would probably just more or less smash it into shreds...kinda like splitting some nasty elm.
    Heck, I have a 5 ton electric that will split most stuff...

7. Locust Post

Locust Post

22 ton Huskee, have never stopped it, had a few pieces of Elm it sliced rather than split. If I run into something that it won't split it can go on the firepit.

8. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

I have a 27t, but 99% of the wood i cycle rarely slows it down at all.

what would be more important to me than tonnage, would be that it hinges between horizontal and vertical.

9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And cycle time...most large tonnage consumer grade splitters are slow

10. yooperdave

yooperdave

I bought a 37 ton for the wood I was getting. Yes, I used all 37 of them. Had to take off the 4 way and it still bogged down into low for the stuff I had.

For the most part of what I see on here, 22 would be more than adequate.

11. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

Difference - cost. :)

12. creek chub

creek chub

Ditto to the above post about a 22 ton duerr. Been using a really old one for about 10 years. Splits everything I’ve ever loaded up. It’s slow but plenty strong enough.

I did just buy a Countyline 25 ton that’s way faster and has a log catcher. For me, cycle time and the weight of splitter was the main factors.

I keep the duerr in the pasture and the Countyline in mountain portion of the property. I’d still be using the duerr exclusively but there are times where I would rather not transport the splitter around much and having two works better

13. Fifelaker

Fifelaker

I have had a 22 ton Speeco for years, I have yet to encounter any thing it wouldn't split. The 16" elm was a struggle, but the 42" oak was a breeze (for the splitter not me)

14. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I have a 25 ton county line. I run the engine at about half throttle, and have yet to encounter a round I couldn't get through.

15. Yawner

Yawner

I have one, too. Curious, why do you run at half throttle? I guess you think there is no harm to the motor? I don't know... it seems I recall something like a zero turn mower, they recommend full throttle, don't putt putt around like my elderly neighbor lady. I always wonder is she hurting her mower. I do know for sure, half throttle is quieter! But on a splitter, cycle time is longer.

16. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I run it that way because as you said, it's much quieter, and will use less fuel. Cycle time difference is negligible to me.

17. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

This one is probably the quietest, but it's only 1hp

giphy-2.gif

18. farmer steve

farmer steve

25T county line. No problems with anything so far. Biggest thing is reading the wood. Ask bear 1998 how anal I am.:loco: :crazy:

19. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I run mine about 1/2 to 2/3 throttle too...it wont hurt a thing....same with the mower, as long as you have enough power/speed to do what you want to do, set the throttle where you want it...the only thing with mowers is some models want you to start the blades under specific throttle settings so that the belt doesn't jump off upon engagement...once running you can adjust the throttle as desired...higher engine speed means a better cut, especially if you want to travel fast.

20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Ours is a 20 ton with a 5 hp engine. Does just fine and has split well over 300 cord of wood.

Perhaps the nicest thing about the smaller splitters is that they are quieter, use less gas and oil, start easier and are less costly to purchase.