In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

collectors and collections

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by hovlandhomestead, Jan 23, 2019.

1. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Ive been collecting US coins since the mid 80's. My GF of 12 years knew nothing of the hobby and i showed it to her. She got got hooked on ancients and is doing a 12 Caesars type set. She also makes coin jewelry Ive turned numismatics into a part time business doing coin shows and ebay. Wood and coins are my addictions.

metalcuttr, Chaz, Midwinter and 3 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I collect US coins for 30+ years...serious collector. My GF of 12 years collects ancient coins and oriental stuff

3. Screwloose

Screwloose

According to my friends and family it would be easier to list what I don't collect !

4. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

the 12 Caesers is doable if you stick to double denarius and denarius.......then, we get into higher grade examples....some can be pricey!

5. jdude

jdude

Creek Chub lures were made here in the city I live in! I remember the building they were made in which is long gone now but they did put up a historical marker on the site of the original factory. A few years ago they were getting good prices for them, currently not so much. I sold the ones I had collected last year, for $500.00, I probably had 15-20 of them.

6. Screwloose

Screwloose

I have to admit that I am clueless about most of the stuff you guys are talking about.

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

dont feel bad, im clueless most of the time!!! LOL!!!

8. yooperdave

yooperdave

The only collection and by far the largest collection I can get away with keeping at this house is...… firewood.

I will spend the early part of summer finding pieces hear and there and haul them home and place them in a stack in the yard right away. By fall time, I usually scramble a bit faster know quite well that the upcoming months I'll have to put this collection on hold and the weather limits my ability to search and seize any more specimens.

9. SammyWhammy

SammyWhammy

I’m a silverbug myself, I love the old coins as well

metalcuttr, Screwloose, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  10. ironpony

ironpony

I have had several interests over the years but lost interest in all of them. It seems the ONLY thing in life that I enjoys is restoring homes, all building trades. Unfortunately I can not keep all of them. I have one now I am refusing to sell but I know at some point here I will, someone needs to make it a home and enjoy it. ( unless I can convince the wife to move into it) we would only have to move next door.

Friends always ask why are you always working on houses? I reply I have never worked a day in my life. You golf, watch sports go out drinking I restore homes and build things. I work by myself, well Lucy (avatar) keeps me company, gut, electrical, plumbing, drywall, paint and trim. stand back admire it and sell.

11. TBONE

TBONE

I used to do the football, baseball and basketball card collecting but stopped years ago. Now, I just started collecting Case knifes.

metalcuttr, Screwloose and Chaz like this.
  12. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Here's a pic of a few of my cigar cutters and tobacco related items. 20190203_112656.jpg

13. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

More tobacco and tavern related Tobacco Jars.jpg 20190217_104634.jpg 20190217_103943.jpg stuff. Not that old, but fun to fill the shelves in the man cave. Tobacco Tins.jpg Pulp Cigar Boxes.jpg

14. yooperdave

yooperdave

15. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Thanks Yupper Dave. It's been a fun road. We have always collected odd little items, but now have to face reality. We are discovering, collecting is a double edged sword. We have boxes and boxes of other collectables in storage. I have no idea why we collected this stuff. Nostalgia I guess. My MIL passed away recently and she was a very high end collector. Now we have all her stuff as well. Sadly there's no longer a market for this stuff as kids just don't care to preserve history tidbits. Other things we collect are decoys, whimsical wooden carvings like childrens toys and whirlygigs, snuff boxes, certain old hand blown bottles, brass candlesticks, arrowheads, bird hunting memorbilia, humidors, oriental ginger jars, coins and currency, pre WWII movie posters, cast iron figurines and just anything odd. My wife has about 250 pieces of pre-1890's Staffordshire and many pre-1860's furniture pieces she inherited and you can barely give it away. We're trying to downsize for retirement and thinking we should just hire an Ebay broker. We have donated to museums and rented a storage shed for all this stuff, but the collection seems to be growing as family members and friends just give us their collectioins. We're not smart enough to say no I guess.
    :doh:

16. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I like it!!

Midwinter and yooperdave like this.
  17. yooperdave

yooperdave

:picard:

:rofl: :lol:

Oh boy!

Midwinter and eatonpcat like this.
  18. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I collect Hound dogs, and mountain tops.

Attached Files:

19. Holland Dell

Holland Dell

Oopsy!:headbang:

yooperdave likes this.
  20. yooperdave

yooperdave

There is one member here who does that intentionally. After a years worth of it, I returned the favor. They complained and had my entire posting removed!

But that particular member has some serious issues with being forthright and honest......:picard:

eatonpcat likes this.