In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Selling a few saws...need advice.

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by fezdawg12, Jan 18, 2020.

1. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

I am looking to sell a few saws of mine and would prefer not to do ebay or CL. Wondering if it wood be better to try on FHC. I know there are a lot of good people on here but naturally worry about fund transfers, shipping, verification etc.

I am somewhat remote out west and we flat out don’t have the trees thus chainsaw enthusiasts that are present in the eastern half of the country. Any insight wood be great.

Thx!

2. Ikeholt

Ikeholt

It's a lot easier to buy than sell, that's for sure. I've never had a problem selling on forums such as this, especially if the buyer has been around several years. Definitely not fun to ship saws though. Good luck.

Felter, amateur cutter, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  3. farmer steve

farmer steve

I know you said not eBay or CL but Facebook marketplace seems more secure. You can see who you are dealing with. You wouldn't have to pack up a saw and deal with a shipper. I have had good luck buying and selling on there. And got some free wood to boot.

4. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

I guess I will just post to the classifieds here and see what happens. Thanks!

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Posting in the classifieds is free. You'd probably want to take PayPal for payment, don't do friends and family. Then you have to securely box the saw and ship it. Like Steve mentioned, a face to face transfer is quicker and less hassle. I've had good success on FB Marketplace too (selling saws).

6. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

I don’t do Facebook but my wife does...I might think about that one.

7. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

I have had an easy enough time selling some other saws on eBay and packing + shipping has been equally as painless. Just get irked about their transaction fees.

GRR!

8. Ron T

Ron T

What are you getting rid of?

amateur cutter, Chaz and farmer steve like this.
  9. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

555 husky with el-48 carb, bars and chains

ms271 with bar and chains

Mac 10-10 bar and new chain.

amateur cutter, Ronaldo and Chaz like this.
  10. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

A little off topic but still relevent. Our Sheriff has established a "safe zone" in the parking lot of his office for transferring items if someone is wary of the person they are meeting.I know that's probably extreme for this type of sale but at least you're on camera if dealing in cash transactions. Might keep you from unknowingly buying a "hot" saw,too. I doubt any saw thieves would want to meet you there.

11. Warped5

Warped5

Yah, police dept parking lots are a good place.

I've also used Wal-Mart parking lots, but only the 'inner' lot nearest the store. Those are pretty much all videotaped.

12. fezdawg12

fezdawg12

Posted a classified for the Husky.:thumbs:

13. motoguy

motoguy

I'm in a similar boat. I have (4) Stihl 028 Supers that I'm going to be selling. I've considered using eBay, but I really don't want to mess with shipping (I use eBay daily for my work products, but they're small/easy shipping. I spent about a decade selling motorcycle parts on eBay, and I developed a dislike for packaging/shipping larger/heavier items like saws). I'm a long-time Craigslist user, and have bought and sold a LOT of items via CL. That being said, FB Marketplace seems to be kicking CL in the teeth. I can't remember the last time I used CL (buying or selling). I use Marketplace now. I'll likely use Marketplace for my saws, as a local transaction will be easier to deal with than boxing/shipping the saws.

M2theB likes this.