In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. Oakman69

Oakman69

23 out breezy..oak n hickory in there keeping the fam at 70

2. Eckie

Eckie

Please forgive my ignorance....but what does "rake the roof" mean. I have seen this several times...assuming its getting some snow off...? Round here we rake leaves or hay...
    Thats when it really makes me nervous, cause that means the "experts" have even less of a clue than normal!

3. JCMC

JCMC

9*F this morning feels much colder with the wind house holding at 70*. Burning Beech and Red Oak still loading the OWB once a day.
    Little dusting of snow yesterday more coming in tomorrow suppose to get 6 to 10 inches here.

4. Maina

Maina

Yeah we rake a lot of leaves also, but that’s just a warmup for the real raking job to come. The rake consists of aluminum poles with a plastic end on it similar to what’s in the link below, to pull snow off the roof. We do it for weight reasons in case it decides to rain on top of a couple feet or so of snow. Roofs collapse every year because of it. It also prevents ice damming and the constant dripping along the soffits. I pull the snow off the edge up to 3’ or so and that does the trick. I’m hoping a metal roof is in my future so I’m not doing it in my 70’s and 80’s providing I live that long. No way in hell you’d get a young person to do work like that these days unless there’s a cell phone attached to the rake maybe :rofl: :lol: and they could do it from the couch
    Roof Rake and Snow Rake On-Line Store

5. lukem

lukem

24 out there now. Boiler still digesting some oak and BL I put in there yesterday afternoon.

Wild ride for temperatures this weekend...supposed to be 50 on Saturday, 12 Saturday night.

6. Eckie

Eckie

Wow, thanks Maina. I had no idea there was a business for such contraptions. So you pull 3 feet from your edge or gutter line down/off the roof? Sounds like a steeper pitch metal roof would be more the norm to help with that.

After watching this thread, i seriously dont know how y'all can stand all that...all these single digits and minuses, and ridiculous windchills. We get a couple days of that in a winter and everyone is grumpy as he$$, and that's putting it really nice...

7. Maina

Maina

With a metal roof usually they install something along the eve to keep huge chunks from falling at once, especially over a door or walkway because it slides off so easily once it gets heavy enough. To put it in perspective I live in southern Maine now but when I lived up north I shoveled the roof and most still do up that way. Otherwise the roof would collapse. I’m sure yooperdave could tell you a few stories along those lines too. My MIL still lives up north, as well as my stepfather, and they hire it done after every big storm. One SIL and BIL spend the winter in SC but hire someone to keep their roof and yard clean. Otherwise they wouldn’t be able to get into the house when they get home in April.
    upload_2020-1-17_8-54-1.jpeg
    This is the back of their house in Caribou one April recently just for scale.

8. Eckie

Eckie

Omg...that pic makes my stomach hurt....

9. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

24* this AM, 73* inside...............Winds are howling pretty good at 20-25MPH with gusts over 40MPH, should make for some good scrounging although free time is not on my side this weekend. Good load of Oak in the stove before off to work. Also was able to get replacement baffle in LN before firing the stove back up!

10. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

2 degrees wind chill was -25.. winds whipping. Tomorrow supposed to be -15 air temp at least 6” of snow more coming on Sat. Inside is 78*. Burning beech and sugar..
    It’s cold outside!

11. Maina

Maina

Here’s a couple more just for giggles. My BIL is 6’5”. The front door is somewhere behind that snow bank. Second one is my SIL on the deck by the back door. I remember one winter in the 60’s when we could slide right off the roof of our two story house. We had a tunnel from the driveway to the front door and we had to have a bucket loader clean out access to the garage. The tunnel lasted almost 3 months that year.
    upload_2020-1-17_10-44-39.jpeg
    upload_2020-1-17_10-45-42.jpeg

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Great pics Maina :thumbs: BUT right now it’s got to warm up to snow;)

13. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Well it was 7* this morning. Coldest temps so far. Currently 14* and not going to get much warmer. Clear blue skies here. Ok winter has arrived and now can go away.

14. Dazza95

Dazza95

We’re expecting a bit of cooler weather over the weekend but it’s still going to be quite mild. I’m normally tired of the early morning frosts and having to scrape my way into the car at this time the year.

15. billb3

billb3

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 4.00.27 PM.png

Into some crappy red maple that's giving me fits to burn. Didn't see the stack top had blown off in the rain(s) a month ago and though I got the stack cover(s) back on right so they shed water the wood just isn't drying out. I've been cross-stacking the heavy ones and taking the lighter ones.
    Also out of split pine so spent the afternoon splitting some old pine rounds that I keep putting off. At least that goes quick.

16. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

I can officially say it's 83°F warmer inside the house compared to outside the house. :D

17. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

18. Well Seasoned

Where's your pellet?

19. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Not mine yours.. ha ha ... I’m struggling to keep stove room 80* in these winds it’s -6 now I think

20. Well Seasoned

Oh, ha ha. Nope just the woodstove going. -8°F here at the moment, heading down another 8 deg by morning. Another storm tomorrow