In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Colder here. What's your temp? What ya burnin?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Gasifier, Nov 4, 2013.

1. JCMC

JCMC

42* this morning a load of Beech and Oak keeping the house at 72* dropping temps. tonight and possibly 1" to 3" snow winter weather for a change. I also hope it doesn't last to long.

2. Locust Post

Locust Post

45 out, 75 in, burning some cherry and silver maple. Colder weather coming in soon, 20 tomorrow night. Have plenty of hickory, ash, beech and locust close at hand.

3. Thor

Thor

32* ost 71* ist. Temps going to drop to 12 over night. Ash and a piece of Pine at the moment. After the next round of weather Friday into Saturday winter is going to show it's face. I'm hoping the lakes get some ice!

4. SammyWhammy

SammyWhammy

3 f or real feel of -22 f, mainly white ash with some red oak.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

I punched a hole to the backside of the wood pile this morning in order to get to some larger rounds that are un-split. The stuff I have been burning so far this year has all been split and is piled on the close side of the OWB. It was a real headache due to the warm and mild early snows we had and then the freeze up of them. The snowblower would just ride up onto the snow pak. I ended up breaking it open with a #2 spade (formerly a long handled one....) and then shoveling it away with a snow shovel.

This way, I'll have some larger rounds instead of smaller splits for the little bit of cold weather coming my way.

Still snowing here with temps at 16f and dropping.

6. Gasifier

Gasifier

26 this evening. Ash, Maple, and Beech mix in the Wood Gun. Snow coming overnight and morning. Kids hoping for a delay or snow day. Colder temperatures Thursday night into Friday. Down near zero.

7. Maina

Maina

31 out 77 in, no reload for a couple hours yet. It’s snowing like mad and we have about 3” so far. Supposed to snow all day but they’re only saying 6-8” so it better let up some. At least it seems to be all snow so far. I’ll be cleaning up the driveways at sunset and finishing tomorrow in the cold and wind. Into the freezer tomorrow then another snow storm on the weekend. We’re finally seeing a return to winter.

8. Gasifier

Gasifier

22 with a mix of small splits of Ash, Beech, and Pine.

Slocum, Chazsbetterhalf, Thor and 3 others like this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Wild forecasts for this weekend. Anywhere from a wintery mix or 3" or 5" or 6-10" or 8-12". If it turns out like last weekend, we'll maybe get an inch or two but we'll see. It could mainly be rain too as I see they also predict 40 for Saturday. All told, it sounds messy.

10. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Looks like I’ll get to run the stove tonight finally. I tell ya, this winter has been beyond mild.

Sunday was the last day of a short extended rifle season. It got up to 73° and I got destroyed by skeeters... 73° and skeeters on 1/12/2020!! I woke up this morning, 1/16/2020 and it was 56°!! Ive barely burned over a cord and we usually go thru at least 3 a year but sometimes almost 5....

Mid 30’a tonight so it will be running.

11. yooperdave

yooperdave

-5f this morning. Feels like -25.

12. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Hasn't been too cold here. Currently in the low 30's. Supposed to get colder over the next several days, with highs in the low to mid 20's. The basement wood is dwindling down. I have approx. 1 cord left before I need to refill. I have about a half cord of Shag bark set aside for cold nights, and some Cherry, Birch, Maple and Poplar for mixes during normal weather days.

13. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

22 out 75 in burning silver birch..
    Temps are dropping going negative tonight and snow falling. Predicting 6 to 9 with this one.. Looks like they might be right for once as already have four on the ground and it’s still snowing:yes:

14. papadave

papadave

26 out, 70 in with some small Beech splits and a couple pieces of Willow......which didn't last long.
    Been snowing for about 1.5 hours now, but should only amount to about an inch or less. Better stop soon or the forecast will be wrong. :D
    A smaller snowpocalypse than last weekend is predicted for Saturday. We'll deal.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  15. ole

ole

7F at 6am. House is cold. I let the fire go out last nite to clean out the ashes and clean the glass. I shoulda picked a warmer morning to do this!

16. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Haven't been burning, pretty mild temps the past week (last weekend almost hit 70), according to local news 9 degrees above average this winter so far. All going to change later this afternoon, strong winds and a big cold front moving through. Fire in the hole this evening for sure.

17. lukem

lukem

The mild weather has left and we're back to normal Jan temps (highs in low 30's and lows in teens or 20's).

Boiler got a few hedge uglies this morning.

18. zymguy

zymguy

[​IMG]
    Burnin birch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. billb3

billb3

Been a mostly sunny day despite the waether indicator's otherwise, but quite windy.
    Stove is getting a break. Colder weather is on the way.

Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 2.58.48 PM.png

20. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

We got a good dumping of snow, will be burning locust tonight.

Screenshot_20200116-160831_WeatherBug.jpg

Backwoods Savage, Maina, Thor and 3 others like this.