In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★★☆ Stihl MS250

Discussion in 'Chain Saws' started by Grizzly Adam, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

This was the first chainsaw I bought on advise from many of the guys here, before this website existed. I used it to cut my first two years (11 cords) of wood and it did a good job. As I began my third year I did end up picking up my second saw, a 034 Super, to do some of the heavier cutting. The 250 is a touch undersized for my needs, and I found that when cutting honey locust especially it was outmatched. But I am not going to hold that against this saw, as I do not feel that a very heavywood like that is what this saw was meant to cut.

The MS250 takes .325 pitch and .63 guage chain, which is a bit odd and keeps the bar and chain from being interchangeable with my bigger saws. The flippy caps on this one drive me mad because it is quite difficult to tell for sure if the things actually secured ans there have been quite a few times all the fuel or bar oil has run out onto the ground.

The saw is reliable, starts when I need it to and does its job. The chain brake is easy to operate.

Overall, 4/5 stars mostly due to those damm flippy caps.

T.Jeff Veal, Bert, wildwest and 11 others like this.
  2. Valleyman

Valleyman

Those caps certainly are a pain in the arse. The other pain is I miss the priming sequence and she floods out.

Bert, metalcuttr and Chaz like this.
  3. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

I bought one aout a year ago after trying a friend's 250. It has done real well for what I bought it for and has even exceeded my expectations on some of the things I've cut with it. I would have liked to see a better air filter and maybe an adjustable oiler although I don't have any oiling issues so long as I keep the bar reasonably clean.
    It's never failed to start unless I flooded it by not paying attention.I run only Stihl Ultra mix with non alcohol gas at around 45:1.Never touched the screws on the carb.I don't ave a tach and don't know enough to trust my "ear"to change it.

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz and Bert like this.
  4. MAF143

MAF143

I've had one a couple years now and I'm well pleased with it. Way more pleased after doing a muffler mod to it. I've had a couple small issues with it, but nothing most handy Red Green type guys can't take care of easily. Sharp chain and clean bar are in order for any saw and regular air filter blow off is highly reccommended.

T.Jeff Veal, Chaz, Bert and 1 other person like this.
  5. Bert

Bert

Thanks for all the good input! I traded for one a few months back. I really didn't need another saw but it takes up less room in the garage than what I traded for it......I guess I'm one of the few that likes the flippy caps.:saw:

6. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

I like the flippy caps, don't have to have a scrench to take the off.

MAF143 and Bert like this.
  7. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Only complaint I really have with the new caps is on my 250s bar oil.It sometimes won't engage correctly but I found a cure.The inner ring must be rotated a little to a different spot when this happens and it will lock up just fine.

Bert and T.Jeff Veal like this.