In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

3AM Co alarm

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by MissouriFrontier, Dec 23, 2019.

1. MissouriFrontier

MissouriFrontier

This is my 6th winter running a Blaze King Princess. Two days ago I got a call from the wife, while I was at work. The CO alarm was going off. Sitting here now at 4am because the Co alarm is going off again. The living room smells strong of wood smoke. Stove door seal has been checked. Stove and stove pipe cleaned in early October before I began burning. I’m running the stove the same as I always have. Burning oak and hedge minimum 3 years in the woodshed. I load it up, bring it to cat light off temp, engage the cat, burn it hot for about 30 mins, then crank the thermostat down to 1.5. The stove may drop below “cat active” after a long burn. If it cold in the house I’ll turn it up. If not I’ll just leave it be. Been running it this way for 6 years, never a co alarm or any other issue. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Chaz and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  2. Maina

Maina

Cat getting plugged?

3. MissouriFrontier

MissouriFrontier

Will have to check. Was just replaced before winter 2018.

Chaz, Chazsbetterhalf and Maina like this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker

Has it ever puffed (back blow)?
    My Fisher occasionally give a puff if the conditions are perfect.
    Low-pressure, plus Gusty winds.
    The smell of woodsmoke leads me to think its a draw issue.

5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Any new fans in the house that were on...dryer, kitchen, bathroom, etc? Other changes to the house since last year?

6. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I’ve had this happen twice in the three years I’ve been burning my cat earth stove and both times the chimney cap has been partially plugged. Any chance your pipe got cleaned but the cap didn’t? I know it’s sucks to wake to the co alarm but glad I have mine as I simply air out the house and open stove to full air

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

It is often the screen on my stack that causes all the trouble. However, I will also have smoke spillage when loading when the cap is plugged.

8. moresnow

moresnow

After the stove is cooled. Pull the cat flame guard and brush/vac the face of the cat. A bit of compressed air from the front works wonders. Vac the rear if you have a slip joint connector pipe. Just did this recently. I had noticed a significant flame reduction when I closed my bypass. Worth a shot.
    Replacing the battery's in your co monitor is a idea also(if batt operated).
    The smoke smell would make me think I needed to run the stat at a higher setting. May be due to a slightly wetter run of fuel etc. It happens!
    Have you been getting a prevailing wind out of a odd direction lately? I've had this cause smoke to re-enter the house. Occasionally from the clean out at the bottom of my unused masonry chimney. In the basemento_O
    As mentioned above I'd also go through your vent sys and make sure there is no restriction/blockage. Also as mentioned are there any new fan setups competing for available indoor air?
    The Princess is about the last BK model to have problems. Something is awry.
    Let us know what you find. Good luck.

9. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Check your spark arrestor.......

10. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

That got us 2 years ago. Stove and chimney cleaned annually, spark arrestor ignored for 4 years... so up on the roof in mid January wire brush in hand, with a foot of snow on the roof... rather do that in the fall or spring next time...

11. billb3

billb3

I'd check the chimney first, especially tthe cap.

12. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Yeah, thats the only thing that has really ever gotten dirty in either one of my flues. That hot smoke coming out into that freezing air....

How have you been, buddy?

RGrant, Chazsbetterhalf, Thor and 2 others like this.
  13. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Been well. Thanks. No hoarding recently. Just coasting on my 4 years supply of wood. Enjoying the season and staying busy. Merry Christmas Scotty Overkill !!!

Chazsbetterhalf, Thor, Chaz and 2 others like this.
  14. TBONE

TBONE

I'd also check your cap. I had issues with mine during shoulder season burns when doing the low slow burns and I'd get build up in my cap.

I did this in mid November. I'd engage the cat. and it was like I'd turned the tstat down. I'd brushed and vacuumed the front of the cat. but didn't change any. Thinking maybe my cat. might be going bad I called the dealer to see if he kept one in stock. When I described my issue he said pull the cat. and clean behind it as he's been seeing issues with a build up of ash on the back side. Since I had the cat. out I went ahead and gave it a vinegar bath. Big improvement.

15. TBONE

TBONE

B1A22294-73B6-4475-8193-10823B7B2E88.jpeg 54290AD6-DAE9-449A-B3A3-63577D65CAFF.jpeg 4C4AB86C-456E-4CE2-9E88-48B62407618C.jpeg

Make sure to get a new gasket before pulling the cat. and scrape off the old gasket on the cat. and the housing in the stove.

16. Eckie

Eckie

Tbone, are those pics -1. new cat, 2. well used dirty cat and then 3. same cat but cleaned?

17. TBONE

TBONE

Eckie, first pic is the result of the 50/50 vinegar and distilled water. Second pic is the back side of the cat. and the bottom pic is the front. There was some build up of ash sitting behind the cat. that I vacuumed out.

18. MissouriFrontier

MissouriFrontier

I’ve never seen it do it, but then the stove is never on the cool side until the wee hours. I suspect you are correct as what’s happening.

Chazsbetterhalf likes this.
  19. MissouriFrontier

MissouriFrontier

We installed an attic fan that is automatic and cycles off a combo thermometer and humidistat. Because the attic has no opening to heated envelope of the living area the vacuum it would pull would have to be slight if any. But it’s certainly possible. Great point, thanks.

brenndatomu and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  20. MissouriFrontier

MissouriFrontier

My cap is a very open non spark arresting type. It clear