In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Anyone done AIT at Fort Lee

Discussion in 'As You Were' started by Marshel54, Dec 17, 2019.

1. Marshel54

Marshel54

First of all I am embarrassed to say I did not serve. I am riding along with my son to Fort Lee to pick up my grandson for Christmas leave from AIT training. I have been into my Christmas baking and was thinking about taking along some goodies.

1. Will there be soldiers that don't get to go home for Christmas?
      Is there a common area that my grandson could put some of goodies out for those soldiers?
      Would security forbid this?

2. higgy

higgy

Was there in 1987/88. There will be some who stay for the holidays. Everyone likes cookies and your grandson could share them.

3. Marshel54

Marshel54

Thank you. I brought stuff along but it was different than when we attended graduation at Fort Jackson. At Ft. Jackson we were on based and met several of the soldiers in his unit.
    I can't remember the term but my grandson said it was mandatory leave. The security and the likes weren't forced leave. Should of had my son take the stuff up to the tent where he had to sign him out and set it on the table. Those soldier were not going home that day. Didn't think of it at the time.
    At Ft Lee they bussed them to a building outside the secured area for pickup. Good trip and great to have our grandson home for the holidays.
    Pick up was sort of ,what do I say, comical or unorganized. At least hurry up and wait.
    First we were suppose to pick him up at midnight, got the call at 2100 that pick up was changed to 0300. Went to the pickup sight. Got a text it would be 0330. 0330 came and it was moved to 0400. 0400 came and went and now it was going to be 0500. 0500 came and went. Finally 0530 we picked him up. Got back to the hotel just in time to be the first ones in line for the continental breakfast.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    stuckinthemuck likes this.
  4. Sourwood

Sourwood

Have a cousin who was top of his AIT class. Was allowed to pic his own duty location as in, not Vietnam. Chose Germany.

that sums up the military mindset. The best at advanced infantry school don’t go to Vietnam.

Marshel54 likes this.