In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Time to dig out and more wood for the garage

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Mag Craft, Dec 1, 2019.

  1. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Yep I see you have the Terry Bison ranch buffalo. Would you believe they have incorporated a cell tower into that buffalo. You cannot tell from your pic but when you drive by you can spot it.

    Yep the truckers never seem to learn about that Wyoming wind and blow over every year. Sometimes they lay there on their side for days before a wrecker gets to them.
     
  2. Casper

    Casper

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2017
    Messages:
    1,710
    Likes Received:
    9,667
    Location:
    Ohio
    Here's a little Wyoming summer pic to keep you motivated. Near LaGrange.

    20180621_172152.jpg
     
  3. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Yep no trees in that pic. LaGrange is just north east of me. Not to far away.
     
  4. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,381
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
    It would be neat as heck to see those old covered wagon wheel marks imbedded in the surface rocks out there.

    Big part of history!
     
  5. chainsawsoldier

    chainsawsoldier

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2014
    Messages:
    250
    Likes Received:
    1,363
    Location:
    NE Kansas
    I remember those wide open spaces when we had some LONG drives in a military convoy headed to Guernsey, WY. Last time I was up there, there was a forest fire that tried to burn our tents down...
     
  6. Midwinter

    Midwinter

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2017
    Messages:
    19,846
    Likes Received:
    130,475
    Location:
    Nashua, NH
  7. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,381
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.
  8. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,164
    Location:
    Central MI
    Mag Craft I'm sure you put that back hoe to good work. Looks like it is a nice size for sure.
     
  9. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    I bought that last year. I think it is around a 1976 Ford 555. Weighs around 14,000 lbs. I had to do some work on it before I could use it. The steering which is all hydraulic was shot and required about a thousand in parts to fix it. When you get something like this you have to be willing to tinker with it. But I only paid 8000 for it to start with and backhoes are not cheap. So far it has been invaluable to me and has been put to good use. Like when I rebuilt my gate and I had to pull out some fence posts that were set in concrete. The backhoe lift them like a tooth pic. I did take it out and dug a 5ft deep hole to make sure all the hydraulics were good. It is a good size. Thanks.

    IMG_1260.JPG
     
  10. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,164
    Location:
    Central MI
    Great. Sounds and looks like one a neighbor had and it was a work horse!
     
  11. yooperdave

    yooperdave

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Messages:
    35,718
    Likes Received:
    224,381
    Location:
    Michigan's U.P.


    Right......to find out if the hydraulics were good...… Yeah! I wonder what is at the bottom of that hole..... :D

    [​IMG]
     
  12. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Right now just dirt. I covered it back in.
    but you are right. Everyone out here owns a gun and about every 4th person has a backhoe.
    I would like that sign twice if I could.
     
  13. Rich L

    Rich L

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2019
    Messages:
    965
    Likes Received:
    3,896
    Location:
    Eastern Mass.
    Ah that sign speaks volumes.The gun puts you down and the Backhoe puts you farther down.Yikes !
     
  14. Cash Larue

    Cash Larue

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2019
    Messages:
    2,531
    Likes Received:
    21,012
    Location:
    Pine, CO
    That thing is awesome. My dad has an old blue ford tractor. It’s big, but maybe not quite as big as yours. Not sure what model it is. He’s had it about as long as I can remember. It has 4 wheel drive and will crawl through 4 feet of snow like it’s Cotton candy. I love using it to dig out tree stumps:D
     
  15. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    I wish my tractors had 4 wheel drive. I do have chains on one of them which does help a lot.
     
  16. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,658
    Likes Received:
    144,638
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    This reminded me of your garage
    [​IMG]
     
  17. Mag Craft

    Mag Craft

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2014
    Messages:
    4,802
    Likes Received:
    27,736
    Location:
    South East Wyoming
    Wow that is a good size drift.
     
  18. eatonpcat

    eatonpcat

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2013
    Messages:
    10,287
    Likes Received:
    58,546
    Location:
    Eaton Township, OH
    dammnnn, that should be a commercial for reasons to move to Florida!!
     
  19. sirbuildalot

    sirbuildalot

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2019
    Messages:
    3,424
    Likes Received:
    22,826
    Location:
    Mass

    Wow!!! Is all the snow actually up against the garage, or is there a cleared area in between. The angle of the picture makes it hard to tell.
     
  20. wildwest

    wildwest Moderator

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2014
    Messages:
    30,658
    Likes Received:
    144,638
    Location:
    Coastal South carolina
    I'm not sure, it's from a local newspaper. Reminded me of Magcrafts garage. We have about 6' drifts towards the back of the yard now, thankfully none against the house!