In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Warning: getting chain sharpened at dealer

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

I made a terrible mistake, my haste cost me. Took 3 Stihl chains to a large Stihl dealer to sharpen. $7.50/chain. One for ms362, 20" bar, two for ms200, 14" bar. You wouldn't believe how bad! The difference in length of cutters was negligible before they got them; I know that because I put a caliper on them this morning! Wow, some teeth look now to be 1/4 to 1/3 shorter than others! I wish I lived near this dealer, I would march right back in there and show the owner; they should give me something in return for this butchering. I also noticed that the ends of the cutters look burnt. Makes me so mad! These were pretty new chains, all Stihl brand.

2. saewoody

saewoody

Sorry to hear about that. That is a lousy situation. Brings to mind the phrase “haste makes waste”. I hate when I make a decision that busts burns at me afterwards.

on another note, I can’t believe the prices. $7.50 is almost half what I would have to pay to get a 20” chain sharpened around here.

maybe it is worth a phone call to the dealer. Maybe they will put a new chain in the mail for you.

3. M2theB

M2theB

There’s a shop, in Griswold or Moosup or somewhere close to there, I’ve seen at $5/each. I have no experience with them myself but the CL add read like it was what they do, sharpen chains. I inferred it was a second career for a retired person. Very specific on turn around times. If I was closer I’d visit.

4. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Ace hardware does if for $8 for a 16 in chain. Not sure if longer chains cost more or not. They are also using a grinder.

5. Chaz

Chaz

Wow!!

And I was thinking that was very expensive.
    :faint:

I've never checked on prices here as I do my own. But if they told me $15 per chain, I'd be like.. "Thanks for the information."

Hmmm.. A 30 pack of blue smoothies is about $20 with tax & deposit here.

I'd be willing to sharpen 2 18" chains per 30 pack of smoothies.
    :thumbs::thumbs:
    :pete:

6. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I think shipping cost would make it cheaper to buy new

7. Chaz

Chaz

Yeah, shipping 30 packs could add up.
    :rofl: :lol:
    :emb:

8. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea. And to think the last Oregon chains I bought I paid $13 shipped to my house for 20" loops and I think $15 for 24" loops. I haven't bought chains for my main saws in a few years now. I grind and sharpen my own. But even at $10 and the little wood I cut compared to others I have paid for my grinder a few times now.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Pallet Pete use to have a chain sharpening business. He was sharpening members chains here. The best deal was when those flat rate boxes were cheaper and they crammed the boxes full .

He sold that business to someone with the tools.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Screwloose, Hammy, Stinny and 4 others like this.
  10. Horkn

Horkn

I just priced out 72 link 3/8 .050 woodland pro chain and it's $17 a loop. I send my chains that need to be sharpened with my cutting buddy. He's got a coworker that does a nice job on them for $6 a chain. He never takes much off the cutters, just enough.

11. Diesel 4 life

Diesel 4 life

I can’t remember the last time I had the stihl dealer sharpen mine or what it cost. But I do know I quit having it done because they would burn the crap out of them and take off way more than needed.
    I bought a cheap grinder for around $60 that works fine. It has more than paid for it’s self.
    I rarely hand file a chain as I just have a bunch and take extra into the field with me and just change them out as needed then set down and sharpen them all at once when the last one gets dull.

12. Warped5

Warped5

The view from the other side .....

I work in a Stihl dealership. I'm the guy who does the chains and think I do a pretty good job.

My worst nightmares are (1) the guy who uses a file between visits to us .... and does it wrong, or (2) the guy who went to the OTHER shop to have his chains done.

I need to get the cutters the same length and I know it. Both of the above will require more than a few laps through the sharpener to do so. Lots of these guys will then spot that their cutters are significantly shorter .... and I try to educate them.

BTW, we charge $.30/inch.

Screwloose, Stlshrk, Hammy and 16 others like this.
  13. In the Pines

In the Pines

I made the same mistake once, I've sharpened mine by hand ever since.
    Took 3 chains in, first they missed the deadline they told me they would be ready by, than they burnt all the cutters.
    Some were way shorter than others as well. Guess they kept getting distracted and kept doing the same one over and over again???
    I kind of liked the place since it wasn't a chain, wanted to support a local guy. Would buy my 2 cycle oil there.
    Now I don't spend a dime there, buy my 2 cycle oil online.

Screwloose, Hammy, metalcuttr and 8 others like this.
  14. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

sometimes the dealers do not take things like sharpening chains seriously because it is not a big money making item. I used to work for a shop that did small engine repair and I did all the chainsaw repair.

I would not sharpen chains there because they would not allow the time to do them right. So someone else who probably never has run a chainsaw did the sharpening.

15. tamarack

tamarack

Only got one dealer here, and it's a Stihl shop. I don't care for their elitist "Stihl is better than husky, dolmar, echo" attitude. BUT they can sharpen a chain! I sharpen my own unless I hit something big, then I usually will take it to them. $9 for 3/8 84 drivelinks but Brad and that simington grinder make it worth every penny.

16. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Sorry to hear that. That happened to me once, had a guy at the Ace Hardware that could really sharpen a chain, he wasn't in one day and a different guy butchered my chain, burnt every cutter, wouldn't hold an edge after that, went back next day, they gave me a brand new chain. Finally bought a nice grinder

Screwloose, tamarack, Hammy and 7 others like this.
  17. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Wow, I can't believe what people are paying to have chain ground. I got a deal on Oregon LGX and bought 3 - 100' rolls. A 20 " chain costs me $8/chain.

Even still, being a cheap B@st@rd, I will run them down past the witness mark.

18. Biddleman

Biddleman

Too bad to hear that. Hopefully they'll make it right.
    I'll get a chain sharpened after it's well beyond my ability to hand sharpen it. Local family owned echo dealer does them for $9.00 any size loop. They brought chains back from the dead for me.

Screwloose, tamarack, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  19. saewoody

saewoody

So I did a little re-research. I had posted I would have to pay nearly double the $7.5o the OP mentioned. I thought I remembered the sign reading $12 for a 20” chain last time I was in. They had three different listings. I thought it had been up to 14”-$8, 16-18”-$10, and 20”+-$12.

But I just called and they told me $10 for 20”. There was a lot of “checking” of the price. Maybe it has changed recently. Or I am just misremembering. Either way $7.50 is a deal to me. Warped5’s recent post mentioned charging $0.30/inch. That would only be $6 for a 20” chain. That’s a good deal to me.

I recently bought the 2-in-1 sharpener from Pferd. Looking forward to using it. I believe some of the reviews on Amazon mentioned that they actually make the Stihl version of the same sharpener. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

Screwloose, Stlshrk, Hammy and 7 others like this.
  20. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Yep, chain ain't dead till it's spitting out teeth.