In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

I really should get in the Firewood selling business

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by VOLKEVIN, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Donny Price

Donny Price

If people are buying 7 sticks of wood for $6 I am definitely short changing myself. I sell all of mine for $80 a rick aka facecord aka 1/3 of a cord. I could be making a ton more money if I were to sell it like that. Personally I feel like thats ripping people off though. Yes its hard work and all but its doing a service for the community. I try to make everyone a fair deal where everyone comes out a winner. Landowner wins by getting their place cleaned up. Customer wins by getting a good amount of wood for a fair price and I win by profiting about 60% of total sales.

2. Woodshax

Woodshax

It is not about ripping people off.....The smaller the quantity you purchase.... the higher the price, coupled with the convenience factor and just having a token fire is why people buy by the bundle

3. billb3

billb3

Pretty much like any other commodity.

4. Donny Price

Donny Price

I get that too. I guess Im just not geared towards that type of sales. I would rather do the full rick instead of just the "pleasure" fire.

5. MikeyB

MikeyB

I’ve been guilty of buying the .75cf bags at my local supermarket in the past. Can’t see spending that kind of money now when I have almost 3 year red oak to burn. Thank God I found this site......

6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Depends, some camp trips I’ve been on where either the wood wasn’t suitable to burn, fresh and not much dry wood in sight. Other times just a saw and axe wasn’t Jumping in the truck. It’s easier to get that branch wood not much bigger than your arm cut up with a hand saw but not everyone comes prepared. Others just want to focus on why they are out camping instead of working on wood. They aren’t like us who become scrounge-hounds.

I’m guilty of buying wood bundles but depending on where you’re at, collecting wood has been frowned upon, or in places like state parks it can be illegal.

Chazsbetterhalf and Cash Larue like this.
  7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Same. Remembering that growing up we had a combo of fuels. One is the wood fire we all know and love. The other was the Dura-log with the burning wrapper...burned like 2- 4 hours? Mostly I think remembering it was an ambience thing too.

Now many realize why investing a lot of time in the wood: having learned more detailed about keeping the wood dry, split and stacked, above ground, the fires are more appealing and appreciated. It seems like a no brainer for some but I’ve picked up wood from some who had kept the wood in rounds before splitting it and there’s not a stack involved. They were getting rid of the wood so they could move but I wondered how their place wasn’t on fire yet since the PINE was not fine being in those rounds. I just felt fine with doing that job and now they are split, drying can continue.

Depends on how much folks want to put the time and effort into it. But our discussions have led to educating those outside of this realm, whether they wanna listen or not.

Chazsbetterhalf and MikeyB like this.
  8. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

Just saw this at the store. Put my foot in there for perspective. 5-6 small pieces for
    $6.99. damm!!!!

4C938DB4-7608-4EAA-B30A-F6D6EAF70546.jpeg

MikeyB and Cash Larue like this.
  9. Stoveaclaus

Stoveaclaus

Hey Stoveshamster are those Berkenstocks?

10. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

15E2D72A-DC7E-424C-808B-D36BD894C141.jpeg
    Negative

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Cash Larue likes this.