In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

My PV Solar Carport Build

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Semipro, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Semipro

Semipro

After something like 50 years of planning I've finally begun my solar PV install at our property. I thought some here might be interested.

***Edited by a Moderator to remove link.***

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2019
    TurboDiesel, Screwloose, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  2. bogieb

bogieb

Poor form to link to the "other" site. They do not allow any linkage to this site (go ahead, try it - heck, just try typing the name of it in a post), and this site was started by people kicked off that other site.

Not judging (I visit it too), just putting it out there.

3. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

4. Semipro

Semipro

I wasn't aware of the present conflict though I did know this board's origin resulted from discontent elsewhere. I just thought I'd share here and at other sites without having to recreate a lengthy post. Somehow it seems like even worse form to copy and paste content from one site to another so I'm not quite sure what to do.
    Though I post here I guess I've never tried to reference it on the other site.
    If you can tolerate one more cross-link I did a quick search of the other site and did find a reference to FWH though. Rugged made splitters
    Mods, please delete this thread. I'd edit to delete my content but it doesn't seem to allow that.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

No need to delete the thread. I’ll clean up your post, but not sure it’s even necessary.
    Can you pull the pics from over there to here?

6. cnice_37

cnice_37

Not a mod, don't care about links... just waiting to see your build, sounds interesting :popcorn:

7. Semipro

Semipro

I've PMd a Mod to try and better understand the issues with my post and how I should follow-up. I don't mean to appear unresponsive to those that are following.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  8. bogieb

bogieb

They must have changed their policy on that. For years, that was a no-go.

I don't see anything wrong with copying the post and putting it on here too. Some of our other members do exactly that.

9. Chaz

Chaz

I'd be interested in your PV Install adventures Semipro
    :binoculars:
    :popcorn::coldone:

10. Chaz

Chaz

^^^^^^^^
    :thumbs:

11. billb3

billb3

so do a readers digest version for here

savemoney and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  12. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I've done it...

savemoney and Chazsbetterhalf like this.
  13. Semipro

Semipro

All right, for those of you that may DIY vicariously as I do. ;)

Finally - My solar PV installation

I've been threatening for years to get solar PV installed and its finally happening. I bought 30 Peimar 315 watt PV panels and am now building a structure to mount them on. Our house is well shaded by trees and roof mounting didn't make sense because of that and other related issues. This structure will also serve as a carport and host to a future EV. I plan to mount the EV charger in the carport and have installed the conduit underground to service it. I've purchased a Sol-Ark inverter which I've yet to install. Though expensive it has some interesting features that I hope will serve us well.
    The structure is mounted on 3 poured concrete curbs that should provide sufficient weight to counter wind loads and are tied into large boulders in the subgrade. I made my concrete onsite so that was an effort in itself.
    Rather that going with commercially-available ground mount hardware I decided to use dimensional lumber to build a structure that would host solar panels at 40 degrees from horizontal while also providing cover for our cars. I intend to use the PV panels to create a sealed, water shedding roof.
    Thus far I've done all the work by myself with the assistance of an old person lift that I bought and repaired. I'm sure I'm getting older/weaker but damm!, saturated treated lumber is a pain to move around. Some boards easily weigh twice that of others.
    I've long felt like a poser for so long WRT solar PV, and its good to be moving forward with it.

Some photos of the site and build below with descriptions.

Thanks for the interest!

Side view of the basic structure. Details like additional bracing not shown. My favorite tool shown for scale. The site is sloped and the one shown is the end with more vertical clearance.
    Carport side view.JPG
    Progress as of last weekend.
    Carport.jpg

Progress as of last weekend looking Southeast.
    carport 2.jpg

Aerial view of the site before I harvested some big cedar and other trees.
    aerial1.JPG

Aerial view after clearing trees and showing the location of underground wiring and the concrete curbs.
    aerial2.JPG

Excavation was tough. Some rocks were removed, I worked around those to big to remove.
    PV trenching around rocks.jpg

Mini excavators are kind of fun. I've only used larger trackhoes and backhoes.
    PV trenching with large rocks.jpg

Trenching and conduit under the center concrete curb.
    trenching and conduit.jpg

Trenching and conduit access to the house.
    PV to house conduit entry.jpg

Center curb formed up and with anchor bolts set. The 3 curbs contain a total of 5 tons of concrete I made on site - ouch.
    Center footer curb.jpg

2 of 3 finished curbs looking east. Concrete mixer under the tarp, gravel/sand piles in the background.
    Footer curbs.jpg

Just thought I'd share a hopper quickly built to help move gravel/sand into my concrete mixer. I stall had to load it with a shovel but unloading into the mixer was a breeze with this.
    FEL hopper for concrte making.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  14. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Great pics Semipro :handshake:
    Thanks for bringing us along thru the early stages. :handshake:

15. Christoph

Christoph

Very interested, looks like a great project !! I'll be following.

Chaz, metalcuttr, savemoney and 3 others like this.
  16. Brad M

Brad M

I was just browsing the forum without logging in. I saw this and had to log in just so I could "like" it! Great job!

17. bogieb

bogieb

That is quite the ambitious project to tackle by yourself. Looks like it is coming along pretty well. Love the aerial photos!

18. cnice_37

cnice_37

5 tons... ouch.

Very cool build. Are you tying back in to the utility or have storage plans?

Your system capacity is well over twice mine and you are further south... you energy hog;) Future EV will have a nice parking spot!!

:popcorn:

Chaz, metalcuttr, Jack Straw and 3 others like this.
  19. Semipro

Semipro

I may do net metering but Virginia has a lot of hoops to jump through to get it. We are also planning for storage. I've already salvaged a battery from a Chevy Volt and configured it in 48 VDC modules for use with the PV inverter.
    The capacity is way more than my current usage due to wood/pellet burning and efficiency measures. I plan to use more PV electricity for HVAC and such once the system is online.
    One of the hangups with net metering in VA is that I'm not allowed to produce more than what my past usage has been which I don't really understand. Most of our heat has come from wood so this has a big impact on us.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Chaz, metalcuttr, brenndatomu and 4 others like this.
  20. cnice_37

cnice_37

Semipro I hear ya. Mass is same way, but we have killer rebates and the net metering is pretty easy to get.

I'm enjoying the build, looks like you know what you're doing.