In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Scored some slightly used sheet metal.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Ohio, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ohio

Ohio

My friends barn had a tree fall on it sometime ago and I finally got around to asking if I could have some metal roofing.

Here is the barn.
    0626182035.jpg
    Unfortunately the wood was sycamore, not interested. A local tree pro removed the whole tree from the barn for 800 bucks. I did not take any pictures but it was an extremely sketchy undertaking. He was standing on top of the barn chainsawing this bad boy. Needless to say it involved a great deal of sweating and swearing. He hauled the wood off with a handful of overloaded trailer loads being pulled by a clapped out dodge Dakota.

1117191437.jpg

Here is the pile of sheet metal. I was welcome to all of them, I took about 20 sheets. There are holes in the metal from the roofing screws but it beats not top covering my stacks. The metal should be way more jacked up from the tree but its pretty straight.

Got the old ford loaded up. 1117191437a-1.jpg

1117191635c.jpg
    I threw a bunch of junk logs and crappy old pallets on top to keep them from being blown away. 1117191635b.jpg 1117191635a.jpg
    Here's my slab kindling drying for next year.
    1117191635.jpg
    I'm pretty stoked to have the wood covered. Some of the lesser quality wood was not looking so hot from being rained on( poplar). Now I just need to get a more permanent hold down system.
    I need to build a woodshed but this is a decent set up for the time being.

2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice stuff.:thumbs: I scrounged some similar metal this Summer. First time ever using metal myself. To prevent cuts/etc. ive bent the corners over. Can make for a nasty injury if not careful!
    LOVE that old Ford btw! What year? Ive owned 1986, 2001 & now a 2008!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Ohio , I like it, I like it a lot. I love the look of your stacks coming up the drive, it looks old school and farm country. Just the look I strive for. And even better how it worked out for you scoring the metal.:yes:

4. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

One man's problems are another man's joy. Nice score and I hope everything works out for your friend.

5. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Nice score and nice stacks!

6. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea wood rots quick with out top covering.

Use all the metal to make a huge shed!! The metal is the expensive part

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. Ohio

Ohio

The barn is rebuilt and looks great. The insurance didn't pay out as much as they would have liked but that's to be expected. 0805181811b.jpg 0805181810.jpg

Some Amish guys from the millersburg area came down is put a new roof on in two days.

8. Midwinter

Midwinter

This whole thread is so Ohio, Ohio! Right down to the new Amish-built barn roof. I love the state and love visiting.

9. farmer steve

farmer steve

Ohio. Get some silicon caulk for the holes. A little dab will do ya. To help hold it down get some plastic baler twine (or any rot resistant rope) and tie it to some nice size rounds and drape over the tin on each side. I'll try and remember a pic later.

10. Yawner

Yawner

I hope you post a pic and I hope I see it! I love the look of stacked wood but I don't like to put non-uniform stuff on top of stack coverings, to me it doesn't look nice, it kind of ruins the 'beauty' of stacked wood.

11. Jon_E

Jon_E

Would love to see more photos of that old barn with all the advertising on the sides. I'm glad it was repaired and not torn down.

Ron T, Ohio, metalcuttr and 3 others like this.
  12. JWinIndiana

JWinIndiana

I was pleasantly shocked to find out they rebuilt that barn! Great job on them! Love the old advertising. The stacks look great going up the drive. My problem if I did that, I would not have a place to push my snow to and then it would drift in the middle and be a disaster. BuzzBrad is correct, those corners are sharp as razors.

13. farmer steve

farmer steve

Not the prettiest but works. Didn't blow off last week when we had 40 mph winds. You may need heavier pieces for metal an closer together. 20191203_103107.jpg

FatBoy85, MikeInMa, unclefess and 7 others like this.
  14. Stoveburner38

Stoveburner38

Nice score.
    Is sycamore not good to burn?

FatBoy85, metalcuttr, Ohio and 2 others like this.
  15. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Hec yeah, great score!! I got a bunch from my bro in law few months back and finally put them to use. Initially I didn't pitch them correctly as I have two overlapping but I corrected and liking them much better than tarps.

20191124_103210.jpg
    20191124_103235.jpg

I was doing this with my tarps but using bricks with holes in them I had laying around, worked well.

16. Ohio

Ohio

Its alright I guess, lots of ash,lower btu. The grain is pretty awful for hand splitting. I have some sycamore rounds in the picture by my slab wood. I have it because it was cut out of the power line right of way on my property.

Midwinter and metalcuttr like this.
  17. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Fantastic that you got all the metal. Get more if you can!!!!

There are many ways of holding down the metal and for sure those that you fellows pictures are not held down enough. Those things can really catch the wind!

We tend to hold ours down with junk wood or even some big rounds that I put up there with help from the tractor. Whatever, make sure the windward side is weighted down the most.

For those who have stacks closer to the house and are concerned about looks, farmer steve has a great idea but for sure you will need a few more and at the ends or sides where big wind will catch them, use even bigger rounds for more weight. Another idea is to use small buckets filled with sand for weights; even milk jugs will work but it will take many more to do the job.

Some have even tried screwing the metal down to the wood pile itself and that can work to a certain extent.

As for the screw holes, we've never concerned ourselves with this and had no problems.

Woodpile-2 2014.JPG

Woodpile-1 2014.JPG Woodpile-2 2014.JPG Christmas-2008d.JPG

MikeInMa, Midwinter, Ohio and 3 others like this.
  18. Ron T

Ron T

Glad they rebuilt the barn. My wife works down around millersburg.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  19. Marshel54

Marshel54

I have seen a similar tiedowns. They filled gallon milk Jugs with water for weights.

20. farmer steve

farmer steve

The only problems with jugs is they can freeze and burst and they are not uv stable. Like Backwoods Savage mentioned sand would probably be better.

Backwoods Savage and Marshel54 like this.