In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

"Advanced" splitters

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

Use my splitter as a base, a basic splitter like my Countyline 25-ton from Tractor Supply. It's just a splitter, no holding table, single splitting wedge, no log lift. You can buy those with everyday price of $1,000 here and $800 on sale. Those of you who have bought a "better" splitter or one with more advanced features... what have you found? Is there a feature or characteristic that makes it worthwhile for the extra money you had to spend or could you get by just fine with a 'simple' splitter like mine?

2. sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

I used a basic splitter like you describe for years. There are tricks you can use like double stacking the halves, not letting it do a full cycle if it splits prior to that, build a simple wooden round holder, etc. Then I discovered the kinetic style splitters and bought a new Supersplit. They are made in my home state about an hour away. Best $2,500 I ever spent. Can easily split a cord an hour by myself, and although I don’t need that productive a splitter, it frees up more time to do other stuff I need to do, or want to do. If I can recommend anything for your splitter, it’d be a 4 way wedge (assuming it can handle one), and a grate to hold resplits and rounds. Also splitters with the wedge on the beam have always worked best for me. That way you can split into a trailer, cart, onto a conveyor etc. The rounds push the splits as you go. Much less handling.

3. GrJfer

GrJfer

Great question. My basic 22ton Country Tuff splitter has done everything I have asked of it.

That being said the more I use it the more I find things that I'd like to improve upon. 1. A log table, or cradle. I have one on the way. 2. A log lift. I'd have to have one fabricated.
    3. Push feed. Not much I could do here as mine is a hor/vert set up.

I have been looking at the 22-Ton Push Through Gas Log Splitter w/ Log Lift & Catcher (RS-322) It seems to have the features I desire, and not priced to bad.

Chaz, amateur cutter, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  4. wishlist

wishlist Guest

I had a basic splitter for years . Added a log table to it and it worked fine . Couple things made me decide I needed something better . I sell some wood at a campground so I need small splits to bundle and I need small splits for the maple evaporator.
    Did some research and found a steal on a used Timberwolf t-5 . I really like the log lift , auto cycle , and the hydraulic adjustable 4 way .
    I can split small when needed and get larger pieces for the house stove .

5. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

I
    I'm old and in no real hurry. My county Line 25 ton is a great advancement over my X-27. I added a rack on both sides for times I split right out of the back of my truck. I rarely use, or need to use, a full stroke and I double stack halves.

That being said, each of us has to do what works best for our needs and budget.

Chaz, Felter, amateur cutter and 9 others like this.
  6. Yawner

Yawner

Will a Countyline 25-ton push a 4-way wedge? Through oak? And, if so, which wedge?

Chaz, Felter, amateur cutter and 2 others like this.
  7. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

No idea. No idea if they make a 4 way for it.

8. Blstr88

Blstr88

I could never go back to hydraulic after using a kinetic.

As mentioned above, it isn't that I'm processing tons of wood for commercial use, it's just that the less time I'm splitting then the more time I have for other things. I can easily do x2 the wood with it versus hydraulic...probably 3x.

Chaz, Felter, amateur cutter and 3 others like this.
  9. Andy8850

Andy8850

I had an old yard max 25 ton that I used for years, it worked but as my wood habit grew so did the size of my rounds and the log lift became a pretty handy idea, after a time of research I found the Wolfe ridge and have no regrets, auto cycle, log lift, 4 and 6 way wedge, it’s a great machine, stops at nothing, it has made a world of difference with a helper I can do a cord in 40 minutes with no problem at all

Attached Files:

overactor, Thor, Need2Saw and 8 others like this.
  10. Biddleman

Biddleman

Good thread Yawner. I don't have a splitter of any sort and been weighing my current needs and future needs and comparing what I need to what I just want. Im not going to get any younger and time IS valuable, both in the $$ sense and in that you can't get it back.

I do know that I don't want to purchase a splitter and have buyer remorse or buy one and be think could of, should of, would of. Been down both those roads before. :headbang:

Andy8850 what model is your Wolfe ridge?

11. Andy8850

Andy8850

It’s a 19, 28c compact, it’s a great machine, well built, a huge improvement over my 15 year old yard max

12. Horkn

Horkn

Can't see why it wouldn't. Oak splits easily.
    Our old Didier push through is only about a 15 ton unit, and while it's only a single wedge, I've only had a couple of knotty crotch pieces ( elm, yard bird trees) to be sledged off of it over the last 15 yrs or so.

13. Timberdog

Timberdog

It does come with an available bolt on holding table...if interested. $50.

14. bigfrank

bigfrank

I just use a table on one side of my splitter. Works fine for me.

15. jrider

jrider

A 4 way wedge is a game changer.

16. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

99% of my wood comes onto the property in the truck. I use my tailgate as a wood bench, I can roll the rounds right onto the splitter, and put the halves there as needed. I process 3-4 cords a year, so the $800 splitter makes more sense to me.

I really like the splitters with log lifts, or like campinspecter with the winch to be able to pull the logs right to the splitter and then lift it too. His has real wheels on it too, so it can actually go places.

Stephiedoll, MrWhoopee, Chaz and 9 others like this.
  17. mr.finn

mr.finn

I inherited my dads splitter he bought probably35-40 years ago, hydraulic. It has two wings, one on either side of the splitter beam to hold wood from falling on the ground. I can't imagine running a splitter without those. That being said I wish it had a log lift. I added a supersplit about 5 years ago. I t sure does save a lot of time, wish I bought one years ago.

Chaz, amateur cutter, Horkn and 5 others like this.
  18. Jon_E

Jon_E

I have a Timberwolf TW-P1, and I bought the optional table grate and 4-way wedge with it. Have had it for +/- 10 years, it's done pretty much everything I've asked it to. Have broken the 4-way wedge twice due to poor weld strength. I didn't really seriously look at any other brands of splitters, I bought the TW because it was on sale at the time, and the manufacturer was 50 miles north of me in Rutland, VT. Which turns out to be no big deal because everything goes through their dealer network.

I'd like my splitter to be about 8-10" taller. I also don't like the table grate, I'd prefer one that was a solid sheet and was rigid. Mine falls off the splitter, especially when a split gets caught in it. A log lift would be nice but not essential, as I prefer to noodle or 'pre-split' larger pieces anyway.

I haven't used a kinetic splitter, but the ones I've seen are fast. The downside is that I can power through anything with the hydraulic splitter, and I don't see that happening with a kinetic on some of the knotty and/or crotch stuff I split.

I think if I were in the market for a new machine, I'd be looking hard at the smallest Wolfe Ridge models, or equivalent. I like the height, the fixed table, the removable hitch, the log lift, the adjustable 4-way - all the things I don't have now.

19. Timberdog

Timberdog

Attached Files:

Thor, Chaz, amateur cutter and 2 others like this.
  20. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

Hydraulic log lift is very nice. Auto cycle valves are great but caution must be used and NO ONE else should be near the wedge.

I don't use the 4 way that much. If you have a 4 way, it must be hydraulically adjustable and be able to lower so it functions as a single splitting wedge. DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0009.JPG DSCF0011.JPG