In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Got up around 4 and started in prepping for canning. I have 8 pints of venison, mixed with garlic, onion, carrots, potato, 1/2 teaspoon salt and some red wine going right now in the old Mirro pressure canner. Coffee, FWH and a nice fire of maple in the hearth. Snow overnight, and more coming today through Sunday afternoon I have heard.

2. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Got my Turkey brining, since 6 pm lastnight, will put it on later on this morning for supper. Been doing this with my buddy for 4 or 6 years now.... I like to try a different recipe every year... But while thats doing its thing... I've got to finish up my little storage shed for my tiller, mower deck, and snowblade... Just a simple little tin shed to keep the elements off them.....

3. yooperdave

yooperdave

Chvymn99 I've got to tell you.....every time I see your avatar, I get this urge to light up a cigar! :picard:

I have only had one this month and of that one, I didn't even enjoy 1/4 or it before putting it out with no re-light. :doh:

4. yooperdave

yooperdave

Which reminds me about the full fuel oil tank (275 gal) I have. Just sitting there. I have been giving away 5 gal jugs as friends/family need for their tractors but the level is not dropping quick enough for my needs. C'mon-free fuel? :picard: They just don't want to make the drive to the cottage, I guess.

5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I'd take you up if I was close! Drive up spend the night and take a bed of fuel cans home for the farm fuel oil furnace and for tractor.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

What is wrong with Michigan people, yooperdave offer that in my state the truck with Show up with a pump and 100 gallon tank in the back of it. If the tank was in date, and you wanted to get rid of that that would disappear too. Half of my friends are switching from propane to oil. Most houses are built with propane because of energy efficiency they have to be. But most furnaces can switch out burner and use oil. Here Propane is 309 a gallon and heating fuel is 260. And heating fuel has 40% more BTUs a gallon

7. Thor

Thor

It's supposed to rain most of the weekend. I'll be doing inside chores today. Maybe hold the couch down with my eyes closed for awhile.

8. rottiman

rottiman

While those eyes are closed, be sure and check for leaks....................................:thumbs::rofl: :lol:

9. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Well... Well... I just checked all my game cameras... I found a trolling perp... in my backyard at 4:43 about 3 weeks ago... that’s about the time I go check the chickens.... I guess the 9mm will start following me out...

But about a 10 months ago. I had two game cameras knocked off there bases (20”across stumps...). Figured he saw the red IR lights... So I bought two good black out ones. I guess I’ll be buying two more...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Thor, Midwinter, NortheastAl and 9 others like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

And don't forget to put some black tape over that red light that is also on the ops out cameras. Then there is no clue that they are there. Good luck.

11. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Mmmm.... I’ll have to check that out... didn’t think It had that. :handshake:

12. savemoney

savemoney

Looks like a big snow storm heading our way. Going to hit here Mon. and Tue. Potential for substantial accumulation. What have some of you getting or have got from this storm?
    Once it get to the ocean it can pick up huge amounts of moisture and spin that up and over us. Like lake effects, we get the ocean effect which can be significant if the storm lingers in the area. This one is predicted to be her early Mon Am and leave Tuesday PM.

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I've already posted about ours. We'll now just wait and see what happens. Radar right now does not look bad but will probably build this afternoon. I'm hoping it goes north of us.

14. Horkn

Horkn

Make sure to watch the Badgers/ gophers game at 2:30. It'll be a snow game. Those are always good.

15. yooperdave

yooperdave

Ours is now calling for up to 16". It was only 12" a few hours ago.

16. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

My wife and I dropped off our son and some of his gopher college buddies down there this morning for their day of festivities. We will watch about half of it, then head down to my brother-in-law's birthday party. My wife went to the UofM, so she has her colors on today.

I went to college at St John's up past St. Cloud, and never went to a football game in four years. I spent my Sundays fishing or hunting in the fall!

Right now it is sleeting and windy. It would be fun to watch if it switches to snow by the time the game is over.

Here is the NWS forecast:
    Today
    Freezing rain, possibly mixed with snow before 1pm, then rain and snow. High near 33. Breezy, with an east wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total daytime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
    Tonight
    Snow, possibly mixed with rain, becoming all snow after 2am. Low around 30. Breezy, with a north northeast wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
    Sunday
    Snow, mainly before 2pm. Temperature falling to around 26 by 5pm. North wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.
    Sunday Night
    Mostly clear, with a low around 9. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph decreasing to 5 to 10 mph after midnight.

17. Horkn

Horkn

Just rain, and really a mist here so far. They don't predict this to be white rain until tomorrow afternoon sometime. If they're right, well get 3-4" or so Sunday evening.

I hung the Christmas wreath on the front of the house before it started misting. Hanging this wreath was easy in the past as there was a nice nail in the wood siding. Well, that mail went away when we got the shake style vinyl siding in front. So I had to research how to hang a wreath from vinyl siding. I found stainless steel hooks for $9 that clip under the siding and don't damage anything.

Should work well. The wife approves as she was running errands in town while I was doing the decorations.

I also set up the laser light that projects red and green lights on the house. I'll just need to aim the laser once it gets dark and set the wreath's battery powered LED lights timer at dusk. It just stays on for 6 or 8 hours when you set it that way.

These couple of decorations, with the evergreen bough and red dogwood in the planters is so much easier than what we've done in the past. Plus, with the new gutters, fascia, and siding, I didn't have any existing nails or hooks to hang other lights. I don't want any nails or looks either in the new exterior.

18. Horkn

Horkn

Yeah it's a big game. From what I've seen, it's supposed to be snowing during the entire game.

Go Badgers!!!

19. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

Sounds perfect Horkn. We are doing the traditional pine bough wreath outside.

We put up our tree yesterday, with just the lights so far, but we will trim it with ornaments tomorrow.

20. hovlandhomestead

hovlandhomestead

The Badgers want Paul Bunyan's Axe back!