In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Do you seperate types of wood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by sirbuildalot, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yep I like your method.

bear 1998, Maina, FatBoy85 and 2 others like this.
  2. Blstr88

Blstr88

I burn in an OWB so don't worry as much about separating as guys with a woodstove might. Doesn't much matter what combo of wood fills the boiler.

I have lately been stacking red oak in a big separate stack since it takes noticeably longer to dry. Otherwise everything else is combined in stacks.

bear 1998, Slocum, Maina and 2 others like this.
  3. creek chub

creek chub

I’m trying to get on the 3 year plan. What I’m cutting now I’ll burn 2 winters from now. I stack all my oak and hickory together in one run. I guesstimate how much I have. If I’m concerned about running out, I cut red maple and stack it on landscape timbers that set on two cinder blocks with a t post on each end. For example, I think I need 2-3 loads of wood for next winter based on the oak I have drying. Knowing red maple will dry in a years time, I’ll work on those loads in the next month or so.

bear 1998, Slocum, Maina and 2 others like this.
  4. bushpilot

bushpilot

Nope. Too much work for little (if any) benefit for me.

It all goes into the same piles, the same stacks, and the same woodshed. When I pull it out of the shed, I will pick what seems best for the moment, but that is all the sorting I do.

bear 1998, Slocum, Maina and 4 others like this.
  5. Biddleman

Biddleman

I currently do with oak, locust and ash. Everything else goes together. Im only working on firewood for 2021. Once I get 3 years ahead I'll probably stack higher BTUs seperate.

bear 1998, Slocum, MikeInMa and 3 others like this.
  6. Marvin

Marvin

I keep oak separate until I get on the 3 year plan. Once that happens wood will be separated by burn year rather than species.

bear 1998, Slocum, Maina and 3 others like this.
  7. Timberdog

Timberdog

I separate by species when in my drying stacks and in the wood shed. I have a small 3’x3’ (roughly) rack in my garage that is the final spot that I restock every few days before I bring it into the house by the stove. There I usually have a variety I can pick and choose from that is determined by time of day and weather and type of fire I want. That’s where it gets mixed.

bear 1998, Maina, Biddleman and 2 others like this.
  8. JohnNH

JohnNH

Same approach as BCB

9. bert the turtle

bert the turtle

I separate by species. Process one tree at a time; some racks end up with more than one species. I label each rack with species, month, and year.

Chunks and shorties go into one of 2 5x10 bins made of goat panels. I don't separate those by species. Still try to label though. The date goes on when the bin is full so most of the wood is older than the indicated date.

All the racks and bins are in my pole barn so I don't have to worry about the wood rotting and it can be a good while before I get around to burning it so I'm always happy that I labeled it.

I keep 2 cords total emergency reserve on my front porch in 2 bins. I try to reserve that for nasty weather or other contingencies and draw directly from the barn for most burns. I can generally recognize the species and I know it is old enough to burn by the time I move it to the porch so I am not compulsive about moving the labels to the porch, but it is still nice to look at the label and remember where the wood came from.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    bear 1998, Maina, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  10. red oak

red oak

Chunks shorties and softwoods get separated. Oak ash and maple get stacked and burned together. Any wood I cut now is not getting burned for 5 years so it should all be dry by then.

11. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

I seperate by when its split. Since I normally split one species at a time I guess you could say it is seperated by type.

12. Maina

Maina

I like to separate oak and softwoods but not the rest, which is primarily beech with a little maple, cherry, or ash mixed in.

bear 1998 and bert the turtle like this.
  13. yooperdave

yooperdave

About the only time I separate wood is at the cottage. Some splits of gopher wood in a designated spot for the shoulder season. That's it.

bear 1998 and bert the turtle like this.
  14. Stoveburner38

Stoveburner38

I stack it all together.

bear 1998 and Maina like this.
  15. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

Nope. No sorting/stacking by species.

My stacks are managed by the FSFB inventory system. First Stacked First Burnt.

I might hold a piece of maple aside when loading for the night but I don’t sort at the stack.

bear 1998 and yooperdave like this.
  16. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

Yes, I tend to keep the higher BTU woods separate (mostly all oak) for the coldest parts of winter and cold winter nights.

bear 1998 likes this.
  17. Ward Hoarder

Ward Hoarder

X2

bear 1998 likes this.