In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

What's up today (bullchiting) thread.

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Gasifier, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Beautiful Larry tell him congratulations! I see you have the same ice driveways that we have here:eek:

2. Marvin

Marvin

Couldn't have said it better myself.

3. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

4. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Got the roof done but couldn't get a good pic in the dark. I'm glad I won't have to open that bucket of tar back up till I rebuild the section on the house.

Awwww....the Rio. She's so cute :seasoned:

2019-11-20-18-35-11.jpg

savemoney, Chaz, brenndatomu and 15 others like this.
  5. Brandon Scott

Brandon Scott

Step mum in a pit under the Rio?

Chaz, brenndatomu, eatonpcat and 8 others like this.
  6. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Nope. Do have to do some digging before the car goes in again though. Can get her in carefully, but need to reduce the steepness of the bank to be more comfortable

7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

About a year ago I stopped at the Sears store in Saginaw. At first I thought they must have closed as there were only 2 cars in the lot where I parked. Store was open but I saw only 2 other customers in there. I figured it would not be long before they closed.

Remember when Sears and Kmart used to run #1 and #2 for retail sales? Then Sears bought out Kmart. Now what is next?

8. Backwoods Savage

9. Gasifier

Gasifier

10. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

I used to go to the Lansing and or flint stores. They are equal distance from us and had good tool selections. Roughly 4 years ago Lansing cleaned out the tools section and never properly refilled it so we went to flint after that. Flint then cleaned out the tool section and stripped it down to almost nothing. Every time we would go in to sears they where empty after that you’d be lucky to spot an employee in the wild....

My first real mechanics tool set came out of the catalog and cost $299 it took a summer of lawn mowing to buy it. The equivalent set now costs $800.

It’s sad from a memory standpoint anyway. We used to get the catalog growing up and would dream about what was in it. My parents would save for a long time to order things out of the catalog. The entire dining set from my grandmother that we inherited when she passed was out of the catalog. It took her a lifetime to get that set a little at a time.

My wife and I had a wedding registry at sears too and purchased our first quality cook set from sears that we still use today.

My great uncle actually bought his house from the sears catalog. o_O He built it himself out of a kit that was all labeled with complete blueprints. The kicker it was $9000 and a beautiful home.

It’s amazing how a company can embed themselves in society so strongly. I’m not sad to see them go and yet I am out of nostalgia.

11. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hush.
    :drool:
    :rofl: :lol:

12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Nice!

Soooo have you filled the backseat with firewood yet:whistle::rofl: :lol:

13. NortheastAl

NortheastAl

The Sears kit houses were of very good construction. We have quite a few where we live because the railroad is so close. It was easy to pick up the kit. My son looked at one before he bought his house. One way to identify them is to look at the end of an exposed beam and you will see blue numbers as each piece was numbered for the assembly instructions.

14. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

With it folded down, yes.....she hauled the.....oh, probably 70ish pallets now that I got for the garage, she's hauled the lumber, the few trees I had to thin out on the property, the pallet scraps that weren't useable, new and used shingles, you name it.

15. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Very nice :D:thumbs: I’d do about anything to get pallets home. We went as far as strapping them to a two a roof once or twice.. Ok maybe like 10 times:picard::whistle:

Chaz, brenndatomu, bogieb and 11 others like this.
  16. TrinitySouth99

TrinitySouth99

Hey, whatever works. They'd add up to a lot of money to buy that lumber new.

Chaz, brenndatomu, bogieb and 9 others like this.
  17. Stinny

Stinny

Mornin all... :coffee:... very grateful to have a warm shop to flub around in. Back to more welding on the mule today. Until this summer, I hadn't even touched my old Miller buzz box in 20 years. I was soooo happy to discover I need my honey's reading glasses now, while welding... :headbang:... at least I can find the weld area now, and not stickin' my belt buckle to the table so much... :whistle:

Have a great day... :campfire:

18. Thor

Thor

Lots of rain this morning. Glad it's not as cold as last week. I'd be looking at a lot of snow. Have a good day hoarders!

19. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    We have had a couple of cold clear days just above freezing. It has been nice. This morning is overcast and a bit warmer but still dry outside. Supposed to stay this way until Saturday.

20. Backwoods Savage

I know what you mean Pete. In my youth, my parents too kept the catalog. However, it was kept in a little building out back and we used to read it while doing something else...