Many of you have followed the thread "The march to 150". Now that I have reached and surpassed my goal and what little wood I haven't delivered yet is spoken for, it's time to start turning people away and telling them I'm sold out for the season. Yesterday afternoon and early evening, I turned away 5 cords in sales because people simply waited too long. If I were a younger man making less money at my "real job", and had this kind of demand 20 years ago, I would seriously consider trying to turn this into a full time business.
Well, on one hand it is sad to know people are still wanting firewood (don't know how to plan ahead) and on the other hand, one still has to know just how far he can take a part-time job. You have done fine and if you want to stop then by all means stop. I well remember more than one a part time or a hobby turning into more than I could handle. When I was young sometimes I did not know when to stop. But one does learn over time.
What percentage of you customers are repeat? Im amazed you can sell that much that fast! Is there a lot of competition there? A lot here. I hope you kept enough inventory for jrider jrs wood business! hows that going?
Can I ask what you put up for ads for your business? I’m assuming you have taken these down and the rest if the callers are just some who have noted your number in Sept when sales were taking off? You did quite a bit. Hang up your hat until you decide to do it all over again. I’m in a group where firewood guys worked all year and except Christmas and another day. Doing it for two years. Apparently firewood is extremely good but not much rest for those doing it especially when it’s successful and consistent in an area!
Generally two thirds or more are repeat customers. This year was less percentage wise but I had 50 cords more than ever before. There’s competition but so many of them sell junk and or short change people. He has his own stash (about 5-5.5 cords worth) but I will save some in case he ends up short. He knows it’s not free though! Amazingly, he’s sold just under $500 worth so far this fall. All in $5 and $10 stacks.
I don’t advertise at all. Being part of the local town Facebook pages is all I need. Someone posts looking for firewood and multiple people recommend me. Also through word of mouth.
I didn’t figure you needed much other than just a free notification that you were selling it. Practically sold itself!