In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Best splitter for chunks over 40" in diameter?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by bryceh, Nov 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bryceh

bryceh

I've been looking at some box wedges but cant really find anything as fast that can handle logs that big. Looking to sell on a mid-size scale and i'm trying to get into a niche market of buying big logs. Any info would be great:salute:

2. jrider

jrider

Something with a log lift for sure!

3. James Miller

James Miller

20190216_155634.jpg I split large rounds with my 7910 and fiskars.

4. Andyshine77

Andyshine77

I too find it easier to just cut logs that large into smaller pieces. If I had a loader and a $10,000 splitter I would maybe think differently, but even than handling whole rounds that large is just not all that efficient.

5. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yep what Andy said. I took some free logs one that were about 40" in diameter. It was a waste of time. I would of rather split a truck load of 12"

I after saying I never would do it again cut about a 48" oak trunk that blew over in town next to the road. It was so heavy it pressed down into the ground about 6-8" on the low side. With my 32" bar I had to of course cut from both sides, be careful to hit the dirt as little as possible but still sever the log. Ended up useing my truck and chains to move them to an area to work. Used pry bars to break the last bit in some of the cuts. Then I had to at least quarter each round to out it into my truck to take home to finially split.

The re affirmed my choice to not mess with wood that big again. All the time your trying to move it around, split it and buck it I could of been splitting wood.

But if I had a loader and a firewood machine and at least another person it may make sense especially if I was paying for my wood, and I could buy huge logs at a cut rate since no one else wanted them it might make sense.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

6. Horkn

Horkn

Wolfe ridge, eastonmade , Automated Biomass Systems, and wood mizer make some nice ones.

I think some of these might be able to handle 40" rounds. How many rounds do you have this big?? If a lot, you might want a box guillotine table style.

If I were to want to sell firewood on a decent sized scale, I'd want the biggest baddest splitter that made it the easiest and fastest to process.

7. In the Pines

In the Pines

My countyline did just fine, it's a bear to move them over to it, but in vertical position it worked.
    The question is how much do you want to work? I have a pic someplace I think of it busting some massive rounds.
    I'm not sure how wide the round was but it was probably at least 36" +/- "
    Or noodle it down as mentioned.

8. wishlist

wishlist Guest

I’ve split some big ash and even bigger sugar maple with my Timberwolf T5 with a log lift .
    It works great , saves the back for sure . With a 4 way on the splitter I still need to re split pieces but I use the log lift as a “ bench” so no need to bend over and lift pieces .

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Hoping that Armbru84 will chime in on this as it is his splitter. I'm thinking it is a timber wolfe but not sure. Sorry that we got it all muddy while towing it to a neighbor's. lol

The guys split some really big logs but sorry I didn't get any pictures of those so you'll have to be happy with these pictures.

A blue splitter-really.jpg Crew at Jim's.jpeg Working Cole's splitter.JPG

campinspecter, huskihl, Thor and 10 others like this.
  10. GrJfer

GrJfer

I split some pretty big stuff with my country tuff 22 ton in the vertical position. I will say though it can be a pain in the ash moving them around. IMG_20190613_151418.jpg

11. wishlist

wishlist Guest

OMG ! There are 2 people who haven’t read their owners manuals on splitting wood ! Lol

12. Birddogtg

Birddogtg

Best way but a big saw sure helps.I even roll them a qtr turn and do a cut.Fastest way I’ve found to make them manageable.

13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

thats a pretty rough looking bunch right there!!:eek:

14. Horkn

Horkn

We've got 2 splitters. The one I use the most, because it's at home 3 hrs south of the cabin, is only horizontal. The one up north is h/v. I will, if big enough, use it vertically. The horizontal only splitter it's so low, it's easy to roll even pretty big rounds onto it. I'm taking 30" or so, not 40+ inch rounds. For that, yeah, I'd rather have a vertical splitter.

Ideally a log lift and a nearly waist height table would be ideal for this. Like this

15. GrJfer

GrJfer

Sounds like you hand split in the horizontal position. Lol!

16. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Three guys watching Walt do all the work. That’s how I remember it anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

lol
    I remember you and leoht rolling all those bigguns over to the lift...
    I just did a lot of throwing splits into the shed.
    Good times!:handshake:

18. In the Pines

In the Pines

Well instead of laughing, do you care to share your wisdom because we must be doing it wrong.
    I mean correct me if I'm wrong but this forum is to share wisdom and experience to help others.
    Not just laugh at them.. Hell I could go to another site and get that immaturity.

19. bocefus78

bocefus78

I came out of lurk mode just to like this post.

20. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

X2
    Most times the biggest pain about the big ones is moving them into position. Been there and done that but you sure get a lot of nice splits out of one.:dex: