In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Hampshire lodging recommendations

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RabbleRouser, Nov 4, 2019.

1. bogieb

bogieb

I'm doing well. Started the season with about 5.5 tons. May need a bit more if the start of the season is any indication. I've used about what I used last season at this point (last season I used 6 tons - alright 299 bags). But, I sometimes buy individual bags if I have a coupon or see something I want to try, so it shouldn't be a scramble at the end of the season.

2. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

First, thanks to everyone for the responses. Finally found a house on Airbnb that allows dogs with no extra charges. Wound up north of the Whites, in the woods between Lisbon & Franconia. Quiet and beautiful here! Even have two wood stoves in the place.

Could use an assist with goal #2, we always try to bring home a few gallons of Maple Syrup for the cache at home, but never in the same place twice. Anyone have a lead on someone that makes their own and sells at a reasonable price? Depending on the weather, we'll be headed back down the 91 corridor.

3. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

You should see some places that syrup in your travels but those places (gift shops, farm stores) are tourist prices many times. I don't know of any along 91. I get my syrup at the grocery store, the real kind. Sometimes the best prices are Canadian brands, yea, I know. But money is what it is.

4. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

It's true. One of the best prices I've paid was $40.- at the grocery store of a gas station, later see it for $65.- at one of those boutique gift shops attached to a sugar shed. But I always try and to give my cash to the family that is producing it rather than a retailer. Another time the owner of the B&B we stayed at turned us on to a neighbor that supplied them, again $40/gal.
    May head up around Littleton area tomorrow, an old,old romping grounds for me. Last time I was there I saw E.T. in the movie theatre opening day.

5. Horkn

Horkn

37 years ago. :whistle:

I felt bad after not going back to NH, Maine and Vermont after 19 years.

6. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Littleton is not far from my camp, 20 minute drive. It's the "big town" in the north country. The last movie we saw there was the latest greatest Jurassic Park, we took the teenage son and some friends. I'm glad your up in the "Great North Woods" Live Free or Die, my friend.

7. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Yes but you made it there this year. My only regret is that we didn't get to meet up, alas, my scheduele didn't align with yours. Hopefully someday soon! My dream is when I retire to get out your way, my bucket list contains "The Boundry Waters Wilderness Canoe Area"

8. bogieb

bogieb

• The rest stop gift shop has NH Maple syrup. Don't remember the prices though.
    • If you see a Shaw's, they usually carry McClure's maple syrup (they also have a store in Littleton at 46 N. Littleton Rd, Littleton but I don't know if they are open).
    • I got a half gallon of local syrup that was reasonably priced from the local Agway (they are independently owned so that may not be every store). There is an Agway in Walpole along the 91 corridor at 334 Main St, Walpole, NH
    • You might find Ben's Sugar Shack syrup, made in Temple, at a TSC (at the end of the checkout area).
    • Fuller's Maple syrup, made in Lancaster, can apparently be bought at several places in Littleton and Lincoln
    fullers maple syrup.PNG
    Have a great time!

9. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

How’s the weather up there this morning?

10. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

2° and clear. He must be somewhere close to me....

11. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Well that’s certainly chilly Brian! We’ve got 28 degrees here in the northern poconos & the start of some freezing rain/ sleet icy stuff. No snow till tonight sounds like. You have much snow on the ground currently from previous weather events? At 2 degrees it doesn’t sound like it melts & goes away between storms like it sometimes does here.

12. Well Seasoned

We've had 22" of snow thus far, all but about 6" has melted. Aside from common large storms, we typically see 1-3"at least 4 times a week during the colder months. The snow on the ground will last straight into April or later.

Midwinter, Horkn, bogieb and 2 others like this.
  13. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Yep, clear, sunny and single digits. Last night every last molecule of water in the atmosphere froze and came down like crystals. Took the dog out before bed and the flashlight made it look like the ground was covered in glitter and diamonds.

We are suupposed to head back to the police state tomorrow but trying to figure out if the impending doom of weather is more media hype again or a good reason to leave early or stay another day if needed.

14. Well Seasoned

Supposed to be a big storm late tonight and tomorrow and surely you'll be passing areas seeing 12-24" The north country here will be less, but will linger into Tuesday night.

15. unclefess

unclefess Guest

and to make it worse you need to go through occupied territory to get there ,safe travels

16. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Looks like I'm just south of you. We're on Pearl Lake, bit west of Sugar Hill. If I wasn't towing the family, I'd offer to buy ya a bear somewhere but we came up with several agenda's. One being to find a path to become permanent neighbors.

17. Well Seasoned

Know it well! Popular ice fishing spot. I have enough domesticated pets, but thanks! :rofl: :lol:

Safe- travels!

18. Well Seasoned

And yea, it's cold!

20191201_101759.jpg

19. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

:D Ok, negative on the bruin, maybe a beer then? Nobody ever takes me up on the bear...

20. Well Seasoned

Don't get me wrong, I love bears!