In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

New Hampshire lodging recommendations

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by RabbleRouser, Nov 4, 2019.

1. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

The family and I are planning an excursion to New Hampshire for a long Thanksgiving weekend. It's going to be both a much needed get away and reconnaissance mission to scout for the eventual move north. We are looking to rent a small cabin or something for the stay. Nothing fancy but would like it somewhat secluded, outside/away from the tourist traps, needs to be ok for us to bring our well behaved dog, along with myself/wife & son. Hoping for someplace either in or around the White Mountains. The more rustic the better but we are planning late so options are getting limited. If anyone knows of anything, recommendations would be appreciated.
    Also going to need a place to go for Thanksgiving dinner.

brenndatomu, Horkn, bogieb and 8 others like this.
  2. unclefess

unclefess Guest

dont know about cabins but there are hotels in the area of center harbor and harts turkey farm in meredith is very well known ,we have a place near ossippe and still take the trip over now and then ,try looking in the plymouth area as well ,good luck

Hart's Turkey Farm Home Page

Oldhippie, brenndatomu, Horkn and 6 others like this.
  3. Midwinter

Midwinter

Joe Dodge Lodge - Pinkham Notch | AMC
    My son and I stayed in an AMC lodge about 25 years ago, it was Spartan ( bunk beds) but fun.

4. M2theB

M2theB

Going to be my suggestion too, that area. Campton. Before the ski rentals are booked. Maybe get one last drive for the season over the Sandwich Notch Road

5. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

I don't have any place at the tip of my tongue, the more rustic cabins are further north in Coos county, of course it will be full on winter up there by Turkey Day. I suggest googling places to see what fits your needs and wants. Good Luck!

6. Russellmania

Russellmania

My family and I stayed at Eidelweiss Village in Madison NH which was very nice. Someone is usually always posting their cabin/ski house for rent up there. Its about 20 minutes away from North Conway which is a tourist ski area but plenty of outdoor stuff to do in that area. You could also check out Woodstock New Hampshire or Lincoln New Hampshire, there's tons of ATV/SNow mobile trails and other outdoor stuff to do in that area.

7. NH mountain man

NH mountain man

Welcome Russellmania , good to see another Granite Stater here! We love pics here, so post em' if you got em', stacks, woodshed, etc.

8. bogieb

bogieb

Here is a resource for you for White Mountain lodging and cabins. Sorry, the only time I've overnighted up north was using my truck as my "tent" at Well Seasoned place. Maybe he'll see this mention and be able to give you some suggestions.

9. bogieb

bogieb

Welcome to the forum Russell. Go introduce yourself when you have some time.

10. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

If you want to be in or around the whites, here's some towns to look into. I'll start with the busiest towns to a complete peaceful stay imo. AirBnb websites, franconia notch vacations, white mountain rentals....

- Lincoln
    -N.Woodstock
    -Conway
    -Thornton
    -Campton
    -Bretton Woods
    -Bethlehem
    -Franconia
    -Twin Mountain (Carrol)
    -Whitefield
    - Lancaster

11. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

We enjoyed our stay at the Baron Brook inn when we were up to We’ll Seasons gtg.

12. Well Seasoned

That is a nice place, but I think they are closed for the winter. I'll have to dbl check

How you been doing?

13. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

We are well, how are you folks doin up there? Hunkering down for the winter?

14. Well Seasoned

We're good! Lots to prepare for with winters up here. Finished most of the "gotta get done" list by mid fall last weekend. Still some to do. A hair over a foot of snow thus far and some real cold. Busy at work that's for sure!

15. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

U install stoves & chimneys correct?
    Do you have enough wood stocked up for the winter?

16. Horkn

Horkn

My wife and I went on a 2 week trip with our 2 well behaved labs in September out to new England. We spent a couple days in New Hampshire, and stayed at one place while in NH. Traveling with pups sure adds a layer of difficulty, as you're surely aware of.

We stayed in Gorham NH as it was a place I was familiar with since I used to live in Maine and we'd go to Gorham for many things.

So we stayed at the top notch inn. They took dogs, but had a $20 per dog per night fee. With 2 dogs, that surely adds a lot of money. Even with 1 dog it certainly adds to the expenses. Not only that, but they had some stupid dog rules , like any evidence of a dog being on the bed, etc, will get you a $100 fee to your card.

Red roof inns, and super 8 typically don't charge a pet fee.

A great site, for traveling with a dog, is bringfido.com. everything from dog friendly restaurants, to parks, to any off leash, or dog friendly establishments are all on there. You can even book hotels though the site. Highly recommended.

17. Well Seasoned

Yes and service, but have been at the shop more than anything lately. Yes, started burning a few weeks later than last year so we're good. How about you?

18. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

Things are so so at the local hardware store I work at. Could be busier. I’m in dandy shape firewood wise better stocked than usual. We got just a dusting of snow the other day, high today was 34 probably lots warmer than up your way. It’d be neat to check northern NH out in the winter sometime. Maybe once we get our daughter through college.:tears:

19. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

I really liked Gorham when we were up there. :)

20. Farmchuck

Farmchuck

How are you doing? Do you have all the pellets you’ll need for the winter?