In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Wheelbarrowing In these Nh woods really $(@&$

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Woodwhore, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

:headbang: So my newest ash find has no access for truck, tractor, atv. Iv learned at the quarry that wheelbarrowing in the woods is awful because the front always hits something . Any body have any luck with any other manual tools. I will put a strap across my body and skid this ash out myself if i have too. Iv seen a guy on youtube use a dolly/handtruck with giant wheels on it. Like one they use for 55 gallon drums, i think the one he had was called bigfoot. Harbor freight has one with big tires. Thanks

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

This is on your newly found property. Right? Cut yourself a few access trails through it.

Steve697, M2theB, metalcuttr and 8 others like this.
  3. Nitrodave

Nitrodave

I have the monster hand truck from Tractor Supply Company... this thing is great. I have stood logs up that I could barely stand up, and wheeled them away...

4. Midwinter

Midwinter

A handtruck is the way to go! I use mine on rough ground and it has normal sized wheels. After pulling it on the same path a few times, you get to know where the rocks are, and adjust your path. 2 rounds at a time is about all I attempt. I'd try it for ash, great wood.

5. Stlshrk

Stlshrk

Woodwhore

What about a two wheeled wheelbarrow? Here is a link. I have a buddy with one and he says there is no going back. I'm not sure that I wouldn't opt for a metal vs poly one for wood work in the cold though.

Wheelbarrow-with-Dual-Wheels

I know that Reloader also has a DR power wagon just for things like this!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  6. Sourwood

Sourwood

That’s what I have. Iris at the OWB at the moment so I can haul the chunky stuff to the firebox. It is the way to go when I am splitting and stacking fireplace wood.

a hand truck has been a good solution to move rounds in the thick stuff

7. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Do you have snow on the ground?...sled

8. Buffalo Plaid

Buffalo Plaid

I:be used a 5 gallon bucket before. I:m thinking of giving a gorrilla cart a shot 1400 lbs. Capacity should be able to do something with it
    GOR1400-COM (-C) - Gorilla Carts

9. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

I have 2 of them

10. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

No snow yet but iv got a plan for a sled

11. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

My woods has a main trail big enough almost for a small PU. Problem is the entrance to it. Very narrow and steep. Ive used the WB to get wood but a PITA for sure. Havent in a couple years. Wood to be had. Gotta buck and carry to the trail.
    Can you put some type of axle under the trunk and be your own skidder? Hand truck sounds like the best option IMO.

12. Woodwhore

Woodwhore

Iv been my own skidder many times, iv already thought of using my canoe dolly like that, ash isnt to heavy. Wood hoarder strength will be needed. Im a real (Bradass lol) when it comes to hoarder strength. Im liking the tractor supply giant handtruck

13. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

Sounds like the hand truck would be the answer

14. Gourley

Gourley

I got one like this.

Super nice in the snow plus it goes amazing for sledding and can fit around 5 kids in it.

15. Stinny

Stinny

I know you said "manual tools" but, when you've had enough years of gravity weighing you down... this might be worth a try... a powered track barrow... all season, any terrain, 650lb load cap, dump body...

[​IMG]

16. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I think Greg has a sweet machine that he uses for wood removal thru yards.

17. iowahiker

iowahiker

I use only use a standard 4' hand truck in the woods with 10" pneumatic tires which cost me $55, payloads up to 300 pounds. My typical load is around 100-125 pounds and I have hauled as far as 500 feet. Also works great for moving dry firewood from the shed to the house. I will tip up large rounds, slide the truck under, and tilt back to move wood to my splitting spot. My favorite tool for saving my back. Pulling the hand truck works best over rough terrain while pushing with the handle on my hips puts all the work on my legs on better terrain.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  18. jrider

jrider

Pretty sure I would let it rot there if I had to work that hard for it.

19. iowahiker

iowahiker

I enjoy hiking and being in the woods and hate gyms. I prefer to stay under 200 feet hauling but do go longer for my favorite firewood, sugar maple. Sugar maple is my hottest burning wood and produces the most heat for those sub-zero mornings. 8-10 100-125 pound hand truck loads fills my Astro's typical 1000 pound load.

20. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

This..............

I use this around the yard and have hauled out plenty of rounds in areas where motor equipment cannot get too. However I've only hauled so far with it to an area I can get the ATV to as I have a couple hills that would be impossible to haul loads up.

And this too........If I have to work that hard for it might let it be. BUT with that said I understand that wood comes by some much much much easier than others...so have to take that into consideration especially if primary source for heat.