In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Venting through wall question

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Barncats, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Barncats

Barncats

Hello all. Awesome looking forum here. I am trying to relocate a pellet stove and have a question about venting through an exterior wall.

The only good location to put the pellet stove leaves the vent having to go through the wall outside to the front of the house. With it being on the front of the house, if possible I was trying to go straight through the block wall and have the pipe end flush mounted on the house using something like this:

4'' x 6 5/8'' DirectVent Pro Aluminum Square Horizontal Termination Cap - 46DVA-HC

Some of what I was reading was saying once you exit the wall you need to have a 3ft vertical piece, but as this will be on the front of house I was trying to avoid this if possible.

Thanks for the advice!

2. BHags

BHags

My vent goes right through a wall with no vertical piece and it was professionally installed.

ttdberg and imacman like this.
  3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Welcome. :)

That termination cap is only rated for gas venting. Like BHags stated, You should be able to use any standard pellet vent cap as long as you follow the clearance to windows, doors and combustibles listed in the stoves/venting installation manuals!!

ttdberg and imacman like this.
  4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

With a vent cap like that, I'd be concerned about carbon monoxide being too close to the house. I'd want to vent it up and away.

imacman likes this.
  5. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

If I remember correctly you need the end of your vent to be a minimum of 12" beyond the wall.

Here is a pic of one of my stoves.
    I used a 45 elbow to direct the flow down.

The pipe was a 24" long piece and I just adjusted the position so the stove was where I wanted it and left the rest alone.

Attached Files:

ttdberg likes this.
  6. imacman

imacman

Barncats , Snowy above is correct. Minimum distance from outside wall to end of exhaust tip is a minimum of 1'.

BTW, welcome to the forum! :handshake:

ttdberg likes this.
  7. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

Trying to make things aesthetically pleasing can be a challenge at times.
    The same goes for making your completed idea meet code.
    1 inch off on a distance from a window that can open will nix the deal.

I permanently secured a window on an install so it could pass.

Simply was no other way possible.
    Houses are generally not built with pellet stove installation in mind...again you must get creative.....

Not wanting an ugly pipe on the outside, especially if it faces the street is certainly something that makes perfect sense.

The use of the fancy termination cap is nice and looks good, but is not necessary...and a 45 degree shorty works fine...

8. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

Also, beware of putting the vent too close to the ground. Leaves, blowing near the pipe, are combustible. Drifting snow can blow an intake or vent. A hole through a low portion of the wall can leak water into the home. Conventional wisdom is to terminate a minimum of 18"-24" above grade.

Luneyburg and imacman like this.
  9. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Welcome to the club, Barncats !:handshake:
    Thanks for joining up and posting.:yes:

imacman likes this.
  10. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

I agree 100% with LW on getting too close to the ground.

Also high enough that critters like squirrels can't easily hop in and snoop around while the stove is off.

A good idea to use a termination cover with the coarse screen grid (1/2" squares in the screen)

As much as I like direct venting and the low cost, ease of access for cleaning, it certainly can present an issue if aesthetics are a top priority.

Lousyweather likes this.
  11. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE

I will also mention that some stove manufacturers require 3 feet if vertical pipe. Adhere to whatever the manufacturer allows.

imacman and Lousyweather like this.
  12. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

This is actually a good point.......above all, follow the manufacturer's recommendations! We too often speak in generalities here, not knowing which stove is going in, etc. In reality though, a stove that passes an inspection needs to follow manufacturer's specs, as given in the Owner's Manual (assuming its UL Listed), as per most building codes and NFPA211.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Luneyburg and imacman like this.