In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Tracking Dogs

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by HolsatiaRedneck, Aug 28, 2018.

1. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Wouldnt mind having one of these for wildboar... but i read their made for long and middledistance. Here its more short and middle distance area wise.

2. Aje1967

Aje1967

Do you have to pay for the trackers services or are they part of the deal with a hunting license? We have nothing like that here. Interesting idea and really something to have them in every county.

HolsatiaRedneck likes this.
  3. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Its a contract between the state and the hunting association, usually its for free at least around here.
    As im not sure about the fine details - Ill gonnae ask a buddy of mine whos way more involved to get you a better answer
    But i reckon if you call them 3 times a week they´ll proably charge you or punch you in the mouth for beeing a bad shot. :D

Its is indeed very helpfull, well its sounds like a job opportunite if the laws allow it.

4. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

I forgot about this channel, a tracker from luxembourg who does some great videos, raw material, nothing fancy just straight work.

5. Aje1967

Aje1967

That guy is a really good shot. Quick.

6. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

I've had hunters tell me that BS several times over the years. My reply is always the same. You kill my dog, I kill you. Simple as that, conduct yourself accordingly. Things usually get pretty quiet after that.

unclefess likes this.
  7. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

Dogs chasing deer in Maine is illegal. It is my understanding that game wardens can shoot dogs they see chasing deer, however they will likely make an attempt to locate the owner and educate them first.

unclefess, Horkn and Stinny like this.
  8. unclefess

unclefess Guest

you have to be a evil sick sob to hurt a dog over such a minor thing

RabbleRouser, DaveGunter and Horkn like this.
  9. pa.forester

pa.forester

This is the same in Pennsylvania. Again, I’ve never seen it done & imagine it’s only done in exigent circumstances.

Leashed tracking dogs on the other hand are legal to recover wounded game.

I’m not looking to start a debate on if this should be so; that’s up to the legislature. Just answering the OP and some other folks.

Title 34, Chapter 23.

§ 2385. Destruction of dogs declared public nuisances.

(a) General rule.--A dog declared a public nuisance pursuant to section 2384 (relating to declaring dogs public nuisances) may be killed by any commission officer at any time or by any person when the dog is found to be in the act of attacking a big game animal.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  10. Ejp1234

Ejp1234

Yes, we can use a dog to track game... but doesnt give you permission to go onto anyone elses property to do so either.

Its ridiculous of you cannot track lost game with a tracking dog, its immoral and promotes wanton waste... if you hit an animal, it is our moral obligation to pull out all stops to recover it.

Im color blind and unless and blood trail is massive I have a horrible time following it. Last nights 10pt I lost blood and my buddies brother came and helped me find it, and he did so easily. A dog would have found it in seconds.

11. chris

chris

there are transmitters that fit inside arrow shaft wifi/ blue tooth so you can track game- in some states not allowed ??? years ago I hit a nice buck on the edge of a big marsh knocked clean off its feet ( gun season) around 8.30 am . son of a gun got back up and booked into marsh. Everything was loaded with Hoar frost so tracking was easy as blood was sprayed every where until it got a bit warmer and the frost melted washed all the sign away- Marsh wasn't frozen yet that year either- never found it. Dog may have. Not sure on WI rules dog tracking wise likelyyou can't have weapon with you and dog on leash if allowed at all.

12. HolsatiaRedneck

HolsatiaRedneck

Yeah indeed, a steady hand even if its charging at him..at least thats what it looks like.

I hear you, on the other hand a little funtime for the dog might end up for the deere in a long and painfull death.
    Dog bites lead to infections and mostly they just bite and dont bite to kill.
    A few weeks ago, friends of mine had to take a fawn out of its misery - covered with bite marks and a fistsize chunk ripped out of its backleg.
    We have foxes and wolves (only a few) but they can be ruled out in this case. By judging the pattern 99% it was a dog.
    Owning a dog is a blessing in my view, as a pet or as a working dog doesnt matter but with it comes a certain responsibility - thats at least how i see it.

Regarding the fawn, they took it down with a sharpblade and brought a dog incase they need to track it.

Aje1967 and RabbleRouser like this.
  13. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Can't agree more, people need to be responsible for their animals and they also need to be responsible for their own actions.

How did they differentiate between a dog bite and that of a wolf or Coyote by pattern?