In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

One bite at a time plan?

Discussion in 'OWB's and Gasification Boilers' started by Lennyzx11, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Guys, I want to put a owb in for my shop but got a late start this year.
    Is it really dumb to
    Buy a used boiler from Craigslist or marketplace even if it needs welding up?

My thought was to buy a used one and set it close to the shop but not within code distances. Run the insulated pex line above ground and have a single radiator or two in the 24x24 shop.
    Then next year figure out where exactly to put it and hook it up to my little rental cottage and 2500 sf house who are on oil boilers.

I don’t have time to get it all done this year but hate to throw money away for shop heat or expensive stove pipe and a wood stove for this winter as I pretty well stay out in the shop all day.

Laying the insulated pex on the ground temporarily a really bad idea?

Thanks and I know it’s not the “correct” way.

PS I have all welders and can weld and will do all install myself with tractor and what else I need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horkn likes this.
  2. lukem

lukem

I did my boiler project in 2 phases. Phase 1 was a bare bones install to get heat into the house. Phase 2 was all the stuff inside the house to get it how I want with zones and whatnot.

If you buy good insulated PEX(with closed cell foam and not the bubble wrap stuff, i.e. thermopex), which you really should anyway, laying it above ground for a year is not a big deal at all. Just make sure you buy enough and do not cut it the length you need now but the length you may need in the future.

If you have to tools, equipment, and knowledge to weld watertight applications, then sure, why not buy a used boiler. I wouldn't, but I can't do the stuff you can either.

yooperdave and Horkn like this.
  3. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Good points to learn. I didn’t know about the bubble wrap vs foam insulation. And don’t cut the length for now. Because I would have.

Thank you!

Horkn likes this.
  4. Gasifier

Gasifier

You look like you are in a cold part of the country. What are the lowest temps you get there?

yooperdave and Horkn like this.
  5. Lennyzx11

Lennyzx11

Averages are the low teens in Jan February and low 20s in Dec and March.

yooperdave likes this.
  6. nsmaple

nsmaple

You should be able to lay the good stuff (Thermopex or Logstor) on the ground ad get good performance, as long as it is out of harms way. Don't even bother with that wrapped stuff, for anywhere outside, in or out of ground.

yooperdave likes this.
  7. Gasifier

Gasifier

It sounds to me like the perfect time to wait and do it right next summer when everything can be planned out and completed correctly.

8. nsmaple

nsmaple

Especially also if you don't have a big supply of good wood all ready to go.

Not sure the wood situation here.

Gasifier likes this.
  9. JustWood

JustWood Guest

You have the tools +
    If you have the extra time to place and reposition later I say go for it.
    The time aspect would prevent me from doing it and redoing it.

10. nsmaple

nsmaple

Buying a used boiler can also be a gamble. Dont think I would touch one at all that has already been welded or leaks.

JustWood and campinspecter like this.