In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

XL-12 Bar Size

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Micah Anderson, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Erik B

Erik B

I know that now. At least the 029 has a chain break on it and the Homelight didn't.

amateur cutter and farmer steve like this.
  2. farmer steve

farmer steve

The acres site I posted says red was later in production. They were made for 24 years.

amateur cutter likes this.
  3. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

That's correct. The early ones were blue up until roughly 1974-ish, then red. I think there were a few variations on the red - red/orange over the years. After turning red, the air filter cover went from magnesium to plastic at some point, I think in the mid 1980's. Post the Serial number/s or picture of the data tag and I may be able to give you an exact year.

amateur cutter and farmer steve like this.
  4. Micah Anderson

Micah Anderson

5. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I learned on Grandpa's blue XL back in the late 70's. He made firewood with saw for years, right up till he passed. Nice saw!

farmer steve likes this.
  6. Micah Anderson

Micah Anderson

I found another one today but i think my wife has had enough of me buying saws for a while hahaha

JB Sawman and amateur cutter like this.
  7. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Hey, you're producing free heat with your labor. You need saws to get that done. Multiple saws even. First you need several different sizes & capacities. (it's unsafe to use the wrong saw for the situation at hand) Then you need backups for each, in case one goes down or if one gets pinched and you need another to cut if free, and your normal backup won't start... :D
    Me, I'm up over 20 now. And the cool thing is, my wife is often scoping social media market places for new additions for me. And if she ever asks "don't you have enough" I just show her the pictures of guys that have collections well over 100 and say something like "I guess I could work on my gun collection"...

thistle, Stlshrk, Lone_Gun and 3 others like this.
  8. Micah Anderson

Micah Anderson

That is EASILY the smartest thing I've heard ALL day! I'm gonna go read that to my wife!!!

Stlshrk and Lone_Gun like this.
  9. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Haha. Must have been a short, uneventful day.

Lone_Gun and farmer steve like this.
  10. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

We not only hoard wood here, we hoard chainsaws too!!

11. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

A Reed Prentice 2 man arrived today #159 and counting some are parts saws but I ask wife How many pairs of shoes do you need?????? have to have a saw for each different job :DJB

thistle and RabbleRouser like this.
  12. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

I have used the same line at least twice, once on my friends wife. Always get that sideways stare/eyeroll and the "that's not the same thing"... To which I reply, "you're right, I use my saws to spend my free time working and producing something". :saw:

And so where are the pictures of this Reed Prentice?

JB Sawman likes this.
  13. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Year old thread but wanted to chime in. The XL 12 was about 3.3 cu in or54.2cc and had the manual oiler.The Super XL about 3.55 or 58cc which was rated 3.3 hp at 7500 rpm.It also had an automatic oiler.
    We had an XL 12 and a Super EZ Automatic at 40.9cc 2.5 cu in. Dad bought an 026 Stihl later.It was rated at 3.2 hp for 48.7 cc. Although it was rated nearly the same as the XL12,I always thought the Stihl would well out cut it.Maybe the XL12 wearing a 3/8 pitch to the Stihl's .325 had something to do with it.Both had 16" bars.Sure was nice not to have to manually oil the chain,too.

14. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

Just saw this request for pictures of the reed prentice I will try to get a picture up asap JB