In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Rockford Chimney Supply...

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by bear 1998, Nov 7, 2019.

1. bear 1998

bear 1998

.....NEVER AGAIN. Purchased a conversion plate, 3 ft double wall 6" pipe n cap 9/3/19...installed a little later.
    Flexible insulated chimney liner was cleaned right before everything was installed n no fires until october..
    3 fires after installation....the double walled stainless pipe did this....shouldnt have discolored like this..
    1107190825.jpg
    I called Rockford n explained exactly what took place....after 20mins. on the phone (even after giving order#)...they found it. Said i needed to send pic....so i did. After 30 minutes later...received text stating....(cant be a void the way they are filled with insulation....looks like chimney fire). That pizzed me off...NO WAY CHIMNEY FIRE...it has to be a void in the insulation !! Sent that back with NO REPLY....JERKS!!!
    Ill will NEVER make another purchasefrom these clowns again!!
    Just had to rant n give FACTS ...not an opinion...:mad:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. casualty

casualty

forgive my ignorance...

What is wrong in the picture? The coloring near the top of the pipe?

Backwoods Savage and bear 1998 like this.
  3. bear 1998

bear 1998

yes.....shouldnt have happened on double wall pipe...its only on the side you see

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. moresnow

moresnow

Curious. Was the prevailing wind from the opposite side as the discoloration?

5. bear 1998

bear 1998

Do not recall for sure...possible tho...that would have been from the south...

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. moresnow

moresnow

I have had that here on and off over the years as well. I just went out for a look and its mostly gone.

7. billb3

billb3

Looks kinda normal to me.
    The downwind side of ours looks the same .
    Some claim the chromium has to get to 1000º to get the rainbow stain and from what I've seen that's just not so.
    I think the higher chromium content in the better pipes is just more sensitive to the heat and it's the trade-off for the higher corrosion resistance.
    I could be wrong though.

Horkn, Backwoods Savage and bear 1998 like this.
  8. bear 1998

bear 1998

I really appreciate all u guys input so far....maybe i should have asked if others have experienced this before...but when you contact the supplier n he tells you a chimney fire...it tells me they dont know what the hell they are talkin about...
    Also...my stove top temps never get above 600-650* s......most always...450-550*

Horkn and Backwoods Savage like this.
  9. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Creosote oils can make a film on stainless that will looks like that...it will wash off over the summer. Not sure if smoke from a cold start fire has enough oils in it to do that this quick or not though...

Horkn, bear 1998 and moresnow like this.
  10. Locust Post

Locust Post

Don't like to see this bear 1998. I have recommended them several times and had a few friends use them with good success. BUT I would be upset with that response as well.

Horkn, bear 1998 and brenndatomu like this.
  11. bushpilot

bushpilot

My Duravent doublewall stainless did that as well. It bothered me, not enough to complain, but it didn't seem right.

Then it went away ... :)

Horkn, brenndatomu and bear 1998 like this.
  12. webby3650

webby3650

Holy cow! I hate to say it, but you really over reacted. This is perfectly normal, it happens a lot. Its more common than not.
    They may have thrown out the flue fire comment because they felt like they had to say something...

13. billb3

billb3

Yeah, you might be lucky and it's just an oily film on the ss baking off.

Horkn, brenndatomu and bear 1998 like this.
  14. bear 1998

bear 1998

Well then....i guess i felt i had to say somethin...tell me why they couldnt have just explained its basically normal for discoloration....

Hoytman, wildwest and brenndatomu like this.
  15. bear 1998

bear 1998

Out of curiosity.....can anybody tell me if triple wall pipe will discolor also?

brenndatomu likes this.
  16. webby3650

webby3650

Yes, look around at chimneys. I’m always looking at chimneys when I travel, it’s my thing so it interest’s me. The prevailing wind blows the smoke away from the chimney, the turbulence on the back side of the chimney causes the exhaust to swirl and touch the pipe. They don’t all do it, they don’t always do it, it’s very common though.
    Keep in mind, every person a tech talks to has perfectly seasoned wood, perfect chimney set ups, and perfect burning habits. They don’t know how much or how little you know, it’s pretty tough to trouble shoot over the phone.

lotifoazurri and brenndatomu like this.
  17. bear 1998

bear 1998

I did service work on hvac, home n commercial appliances for 23 years....so i have a good understanding how to deal with customers...they dont...
    Soooo....what you are sayin....customers are wrong until proven innocent??? I'm not tryin to start somethin here...but it was rediculous how they handled it!!
    Let me ask you this.....why didnt they say...well sir...it could be x y or z ?? I was ok until the only thing they came back with....CHIMNEY FIRE.
    Alot of the problem is...companies just want a warm body that takes orders on the phone n thats about it!

Horkn, webby3650 and brenndatomu like this.
  18. webby3650

webby3650

I’d say having an inexperienced person answering the phone is very likely. Sounds like everyone could have handled the situation better.

brenndatomu likes this.
  19. webby3650

webby3650

I’ll also add that on I’ve been to a few houses that had a fire in the chimney cap only a few days after I cleaned or installed the chimney, I don’t know how but some people manage to pull it off! It’s no a flue fire, just crap in the cap Burns out real quick, it discolors the cap. I’m not saying this is what happened to yours, but it does happen.

brenndatomu likes this.
  20. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Agreed on explaining discoloration if that is it, but it kind of doesn't matter at this point, they already treated you poorly, seemed incompetent even finding your order then left a bad taste in your mouth.

bear 1998 and brenndatomu like this.