In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ash Takedown at the lake

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by jtstromsburg, Oct 28, 2019.

1. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I had posted in the climbing for fun or work thread about a tree that I helped some guys with at a small sandpit lake 15 miles from my house. Figured I’d make a little bit more of a thread now that it’s done and cleaned up. Got a lot of nice ash firewood out of it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodwidow, BCB, brenndatomu and 22 others like this.
  2. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Great score sir! :thumbs:Nice looking work and wood! Did you get all the wood?

3. Locust Post

Locust Post

That works for sure

4. bogydave

bogydave

Alaska, North of Anchorage & South of Fairbanks
    Prime BTUs :yes:
    Split & stacked yet ?

5. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Yes, I did. I did all the cutting, including from a lift 45’ up. I did the loading too. They paid for the lift, trailer rental, and I borrowed a contractor friends Bobcat T190 and forks and bucket to load with. Worked out well. Had several people question why I’d do all that for free?? Love the BTU’s but love running the saws, trying something new( cutting up high), and the warmth Itl provide next winter. Here’s the pile in my back alley. Looks like close to two cords. Hopefully it’ll get css by next weekend and I’ll update then.
    [​IMG]

6. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Not yet. Wishes I had time. Got a busy week so will squeeze a lil time here and there and finish it next weekend hopefully.

7. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Nice work! Was it a pain using the towable lift? Did you have to move it around, or could you set it and forget it?

I’m considering renting a towable to trim (not remove) a huge mulberry and huge walnut in my back yard. Not sure how well it will work as far as having to move it and reset multiple times.

8. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I set it as close to the tree as possible and didn’t have to move it. Just had to work from top down and start at the side the lift was on. If you are just trimming, you may have to reposition depending on limb location. I maxed this lift out for height. If I had a bit taller one, I could be a few feet further away and probably make things a bit easier. I’ve used these types of lifts many times. I do airless painting as a side gig and have rented them for that and for my own house. This is a first for taking a tree down though. Worked well, but they are slow moving. A bucket truck would be much quicker and smoother, but not sure they rent them out.

9. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Thanks for the info. I’v rented them for painting as well(summer job for me), just not for tree work. What do they get for a days rent? I’ve never seen a bucket truck for rent either.

I’m thinking I should be able to get both trees done with 2 resets so that’s not to bad

10. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

What saw did you use from the lift? Did you use a tether line in case you dropped it? I bought a 271t from Joe Dirt that I intend to use.

11. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I rented a small top handle stihl but hated it. Mostly cause the chain was dull but it’s one with poor reviews. I ended up do most of the bucket cutting with my 362cm wearing a 20” b&c. I’d of preferred the top handle, and used it on anything 3” or under but outside of that, it wasn’t up to the task.
    Lift from our small local shop is $250/day I believe. The land owner paid for it so I’m not 100% sure. I’ve rented one with about 10’ more reach from a nation wide rents shop and it was $300/day if I recall.
    I’ll be purchasing a echo 355t sometime in the near future if I see this becoming a thing. I have a little 180 I should’ve brought along. The 362 is just a bit much to try and be safe with when you need a hand to steady pieces. But it got done.

12. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Is that snow!!!?? Great pick up! I asked if ash has a smell, what would you call it if it has some kinda smell??

13. moresnow

moresnow

Outstanding piece of equipment. Everyone should have one:)

14. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Nice job jtstromsburg .... Looks just like the one I had this weekend... You had your work cut out for yourself, since you did that all by yourself... :handshake: ...

15. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

On my job last weekend... To cut down the four trees I think I only moved the lift three twice. Ours was like $195 a day....

I used my echo hand saw plus my 034 with a 18" bar... Short bars rule in the basket... You can tether if you feel safer about it.

16. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I have rented bucket trucks from penske leasing you have to have a business with insurance for rental liability and it was not cheap if I remember it was monthly @3500.00 it was 75ft and i needed it for a clearing job you would be better to see if a local rental has a spyder lift for rent they are on rubber tracks and different heights up to 120 ft :yes:JB

17. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

A few flakes. As far as smell, pleasant I guess. I’m not too sure as I haven’t burnt much yet. Have lots coming though. EAB hasn’t quite gotten here yet, but there still many dead ash trees around. Not sure why, but I’d guess they are trees that have been butchered by our city or electrical folks as many are near the lines and so cut back by any means necessary.

18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Oh ok, I guess we get those oak smells:white and red, then white birch and black birch. Burning these produce a different outcome. Not sure if some localities the wood produces similar smells whether fresh cut or burned, I just like it suppose.

19. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Looks like you did a good job jtstromsburg and that surely is easier than putting on climbers!

20. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

CSS. Ran splitter horizontal for all limbs that grow horizontally and then switched to vertical for the trunk as I have been instructed by the “great one” himself, backwoods savage !

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]