In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

About tree service wood

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Oct 27, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

A lot of members report getting loads of wood from tree services. When they take down trees around here, it's a mix of trunks and limbs. Now you talk about a tangled mess to get through! I've never had one dump at my place but when they dump their trailers at the dump, it's one helluva impenetrable rectangular 'cube' packed tight! I have taken my truck and a chain to pull limbs out so I can just get to some harvestable wood. So, when you guys get a load, do you get such a mess or just logs, bigger stuff? When I think about how they take down a tree, they're just throwing it into the dump trailer as they cut. I can't see how they would accommodate me by only filling the trailer with 'good' wood. If they loaded stuff that could only be thrown by hand into the trailer for a load, and then later loaded big stuff with their grapple skidsteer, it would provide loads of big stuff but I don't see that. But there's primarily only one guy that services this area and that's just how he does it. Nice guy, I would like to hit him up to dump at my place, which is a closer run for him than the town dump.

The only service I asked to bring me a load would not do it and it was a huge hedge tree; I found out they take loads to a mulch company.

2. Midwinter

Midwinter

This is how I got mine... I imagine he chipped the smaller stuff. IMG_20190901_53312.jpg IMG_20190901_44459.jpg

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Had a neighbor cut down 4 walnut trees... and I ended up with 3 trailer loads kinda of like that... It was fun getting it done, but ended up with two burn piles after all was said and done....

4. Yawner

Yawner

If they dumped at my place, I'd have to haul off all the small stuff because I don't/can't have a burn pile at my place.

5. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

The tree services call me and I pick up myself. When I show up they are normally still cutting. The 2 companies that I use always have it cut 22" or less. The company has several guys that pick up the wood so they prioritize times. Since I dont take much I get low priority. Still good wood but big rounds. The one said they would deliver within a certain range of their job...the edge range was less than 1/4 mile from me and they wouldn't drop off

6. Thor

Thor

I'm spoiled. This last load I got splits like buttah.

0730191507.jpg 0730191507a.jpg

7. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Not sure if its better to have logs dropped off that need cut or picking ot up myself and just have to be split

8. Thor

Thor

This is perfect for me. I get to cut to the length I need while getting saw time.

9. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

Can’t beat that! Perfect size and straight... I cant quite tell what that wood is, is it Tulip/Poplar?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  10. Road-side Oak

Road-side Oak

11. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

I usually chip everything smaller than 3-4", the rest gets bucked into rounds and all I ask for is a little gas $ if I gotta deliver it somewhere.....

12. mirnldi

mirnldi

Ash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

it is pot luck what you will get with a tree service. Some nice trunks, some nasty, gnarly, half rotted, ant infested ones, varied species etc. Ive seen some good ones on here and have heard some nightmare stories too.
    I hear you about the dump, take a look. Happened to be just after a rain so muddy mess. IMG_0535.JPG This mound was Asplundh's work. I didnt feel like wrestling with it. Same pile the elderly man in my thread
    Never too old to Hoard IMG_0938.JPG

14. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

We have a tree service dump at my partner's acreage. Talking to a friend last week he said a service he uses will be taking down an 80-90' oak with a 6' trunk. Asked if I wanted any of it, heck yea! Had a brief conversation with him on Thursday and mentioned that we can take drop-offs and not far from the site. He sounded very interested in the option for this and future jobs he has. We tell them no brush or chips, unless requested, and try to avoid the big stuff. We have so much wood at his place now, it's hard to even take anymore.
    GTG is running through my mind almost daily.

15. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

I'd have a hard time not to fight the mud and get a load or two of that mess.

16. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

How much for a load to central Nebraska?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Probably be a big fuel/travel/lodging/missed work charge on that one buddy! Lol

18. red oak

red oak

No that is ash - I’d love for straight logs of ash to be dropped off at my place like that - splits great and dries quick!

19. thistle

thistle

Havent had any dropped off by my local tree service buddy since May 2017 since he dumped a load of big mature Apple after a strong thunderstorm rolled through the area.Still have about half of that left,what isnt burned in the house for supplemental heat,the Weber kettle & Brinkmann smoker gets the rest.

He would normally dump off 3-4 different loads a year for me when he had stuff that he knew I'd be interested in.Never any brush or garbage,dont recall seeing anything less than 5" diameter either in the past 8 years.All the small stuff (under 4" usually) is already run through the chipper before I get it unless the property owner wants some small pieces for starter etc.

Told him ''as big as you got,long as you can get it in your dump trailer I'll take it. Here's a 36" Honey Locust from summer 2012,I milled into 2.5" & 3" thick slabs in April 2015,drying nicely it'll be a coffee table or two some day now that I'm retired with (ha!) more free time.

husky 288xpw massive honey locust aug 2012.jpg
    husky 288xpw massive honey locust 42 bar mar 2013.jpg DSC00856.JPG

20. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I did grab a few at the time. Not really allowed to take it, but i sneak some out. Havent gone in a while and its has been contracted out to a new company. Wonder if they will let me take some? Hafta check it out soon.