In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Pellet heads!! What's up today?

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by DexterDay, Jan 16, 2014.

1. schoondog

schoondog

I exited a bldg. the other night at work, and as usual I scanned the area between the door and truck and along the bldg. with my flash light. I went to the passenger side of the truck and put my tools inside and was walking between the front of the truck and the bldg. back to the drivers door, and a big ol skunk walked right by me. Startled me, but he was headed somewhere and never paid me any mind. (thank God )

Doggy

savemoney, Luneyburg, ivanhoe and 6 others like this.
  2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:rofl: :lol:

savemoney, ivanhoe, imacman and 3 others like this.
  3. bogieb

bogieb

savemoney, ivanhoe, imacman and 2 others like this.
  4. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

My combustion motor for my Accentra FS sounds a bit gravelly. I tried oiling the bearing that I could get to with limited success. I figured the bearing wouldn't get any better so I ordered a new Gleason Avery motor and a new fan. I'm a realist and I just know that I will have to use my Sawzall to cut the shaft to remove the motor. I think the chances of the fan coming off the shaft are slim to none, right? I'm sure the new motor will sound a hell of a lot better than the cement mixer I have now. My wife thinks it sounds fine as is. She will be shocked at the difference. Bring on the cold!

5. imacman

imacman

Be careful what you wish for. :confused:

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe

Antiseize the new one and yes you might have to cut it out :( the impeller that is ;)
    Save the motor and see if you can replace the bearing on your free time :whistle:
    Mine is also noisy and I have to get off my butt to replace them too :picard:

7. gbreda

gbreda

2 weeks ago i let the dog out just before bedtime to do her business. For whatever reason I didnt check outside first like I always do. Skunk was outside and at first Nellie didnt see it but of course she noticed and went right up to it nose to nose. :eek:

I called her a few times and she finally came back to the door-luckily she didnt bark and I think thats what saved her from being sprayed. WHEW !!

8. imacman

imacman

Spray the impeller & shaft with some PB Blaster and let it sit for a while. If that doesn't work, some heat from a propane torch just on the impeller might do it. I never had one I couldn't get off eventually. And YES to never seize on the new shaft, preferably the copper version.
    https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn...ensFTBR9h3ZJBI9dQZw4j02ZyKvB5MlMaAn9VEALw_wcB

savemoney, Rich250, ivanhoe and 5 others like this.
  9. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

A little puller is nearly a must to get the impellers off without thrashing things.

Made this little GIZMO to remove the impeller.

As mentioned, getting the set screw out can be a PITA

Another FYI

IF AFTER GETTING THE IMPELLER OFF

If the shaft does not have a little flat spot on the shaft where the set screw sits...
    MAKE ONE ... GRIND A NICE LITTLE FLAT WITH A DUMORE

A set screw that has been tightened into the shaft will raise a BURR and this is the reason so many impellers are so hard to get off.

The shafts are stainless steel, so corrosion is not a real issue.

Prying the impeller off will end badly.

If the petals on the impeller get bent the impeller is pretty much junk.

A slight tweak to a blade or two can be straightened by carefully nudging the back and the rotating the unit and paying attention to any wobble.

Far easier to NOT BEND the unit

If the set screw will not come out life gets tough.

Usually the impeller is gonna have to be sacrificed (NEVER SEAZE IS A GOOD FRIEND ON THE THREADS AND THE SHAFT.

Attached Files:

savemoney, Rich250, ivanhoe and 4 others like this.
  10. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

X7

11. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Been a trying few days as Pops was back in the hospital but today he was released which is great but a lot of work still to be done and I have had maybe 5 hours of sleep in the last 3 days. But the reason it is great is that he is at home and my Sis can chill a bit only because the other Sis who primarily takes care of crisis situations besides myself will be headed out of town for the following 3 days along with myself.
    So pack tonight for 3 days in Nashville probably the first time I have had anytime off away from home in 5 years and I am looking forward to it, Nashville not packing Haa . Hate packing but have to do it other than that nothing nothing as I am gonna enjoy myself for the next 3 days and not worry about anything except probably where I get my next drink and where I am going to have some fun !
    Hope all are well

savemoney, eatonpcat, ivanhoe and 6 others like this.
  12. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

Will need pics

savemoney, ivanhoe, Dpopps and 3 others like this.
  13. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

As requested Skeet they will be coming ! once I get back that is as I am going to Disconnect

savemoney, ivanhoe, Dpopps and 6 others like this.
  14. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

I'm going to do everything in my power to remove the fan blade without cutting the shaft. I want to see if I can replace the bearings on the old one and keep it for a spare. I have some high temp Nev-R-Seez that will be going on the new one for sure

bogieb and ivanhoe like this.
  15. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

I like the tool Snowy. I have a new impeller so I'm not worried about buggering this one up. I'm going to fabricate one and see how it works.

16. ChandlerR

ChandlerR

I will PB the fan as soon as the new one gets here Monday. I have an Oxy Acetylene torch with a small brazing tip and I'll try that first. Maybe Snowy's puller will work...or maybe all this is for nothing and the fan will slip right off because it was anti seized the last time it was out.

savemoney, imacman, jtakeman and 2 others like this.
  17. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Guys I just noticed TSC has one of their 10% off your entire purchase sales going on through Sunday. If you are a member of their Neighbor's Club you will already have the coupon in your email. I wish they would send the post card every time they do these. When they only notify in email, it gets filtered out as junk and I miss them half the time. In any case, if anyone is wanting to buy pellets, it would be $225/ton with the 10% discount applied, which is a pretty good deal these days (at least in these parts). Go get em.

18. Snowy Rivers

Snowy Rivers

The puller tool

FYI
    The hole in the side of the tool goes all the way through, with the one side tapped to accept a 1/4 20 allen head hard bolt....The other side has the hole enlarged to allow the set screw to be threaded in BUT not touching the shaft

This allows the puller to use the set screw as a "Pull point" and the Allen head screw on the other side is snugged up good....The square headed screw in the end has the end that touches the shaft ground smooth so it does not booger the shaft up.

With the shaft cleaned up and some good Skunk Pizz applied the fan should come right off.

Pix showing the set screw in the larger hole.
    Pix showing the Allen head bolt use to snug the tool up
    Pix showing set screw just flush with the inside of bore

ALSO NOTE
    The Torx type set screw...these bad boys are far more resistant to ripping out as compared to the Allen head of the same size...As mentioned...ALWAYS USE NEVER SEAZE on the threads...plenty of it..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  19. Dpopps

Dpopps

I had to travel over into Wisconsin, stopped at a woodman's and scored some good stuff.

20191025_112537.jpg

savemoney, imacman, ivanhoe and 8 others like this.
  20. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

dammnnnnnnnnn thats some high dollar Hooch!

imacman, ivanhoe, PelletHound and 5 others like this.