In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Silver maple opinion...

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Pricey106, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Pricey106

Pricey106

I found a score of fresh cut silver maple about 2 miles from me. A lot needs to be cut to size yet, including some 24" plus diameter logs. I got silver maple a few years back from a tree service, and most of it had that crazy twist to it. I was thinking get a load and split some.
    I have not started burning a lot of the older maple I have, verdict is still out on how well it burns and heats for me.

2. moresnow

moresnow

Just about to reload after 9.5 hrs on a small batch of 5 yr old silver maple. Ive got a couple more loads of this left. Off my dads property. Big o'le tree :) Zero issues with S.M. for me. I'll still grab it when it comes along.

3. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy

Silver maple is good shoulder season fuel. I just loaded my insert with some. And in my catalytic insert it will last most of the day with temps outside in the upper 30's going to 50° in the afternoon. Get all you can.

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Yep good stuff, Not a very long burner but definitely does it’s work!

5. woody5506

woody5506

The huge diameter stuff can be a pain but I guess that goes for any wood. It's good for this time of the year. I have a bunch myself from a couple large ones I had taken down last year. I'll probably burn a bit of it this year but most will be burned next year and the year after. Personally I wouldn't go out of my way for it but if you need wood and it's not far then go for it.

6. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I would grab all I could, Maple is pretty good stuff and dries fairly quick!!

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I personally hate silver maple. I split by hand and scored a whole tree years back. 20" trunk. Had to buck to 12" and noodle the entire trunk the grain was so twisty. I have access to better btu woods and take them given a choice. Ill take sugar, Norway and red maple. Smaller diameter (less than 14") easier.

Perfect shoulder season wood and if thats all you have and have room to separate. Id work on that other score.

8. Horkn

Horkn

It's great wood, not particularly long lasting, but there's far worse. It does dry quickly too.

I'd grab as much as you can. Unless it's a pita to get to.

9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

It all depends upon where that maple came from. A yard tree or one in a fence line will be twisted most likely. If it came from the woods, it will split much easier. I don't like silver as well as red or soft maple but it is still okay.

10. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

I’m burning some right now. Weird grain. Twisty hard to split. Check out some of the pieces and the weird shapes they split into

image.jpg

11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Just lit fire of birch and silver and boxelder (crap) maple:D

12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Silver maple for me, seasons very quickly. If I let it sit more than a year it starts getting light, fast. As mentioned, it doesn't burn long in the firebox but it does produce heat so if you have access, hoard on.

13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

i rest my case for not liking it. A major B&%$H to hand split. Did you hand split that Stoveshamster ?

14. Locust Post

Locust Post

I have to disagree with most on this thread. Silver maple is complete garbage wood, just load it and haul it to my house and I will dispose of that God awful stuff for you.

15. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

And if LP's stacks fill up, I'll dispose of the rest of it for you.
    I like SM...dries fast, lights easy, burns hot...I love to mix it in with other heavier species...gets things rolling along nicely!

16. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Hey I'm closer and will supply .. Gas and drinks:cool:

17. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Today’s load of silver maple . Tree service cut down a big one at a friends place a few miles from home . They wanted another $300 to haul it away . Dropped of the 20ft trailer and the tree guys stacked it on the trailer .
    I like silver maple for shoulder season and also in the evaporator.

Attached Files:

18. red oak

red oak

I never had trouble hand splitting it but these were straight trees from the woods. Good wood for this time of year, or spring. As others have mentioned it dries pretty fast.

19. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

Not by hand buZZ. My pile is about 50/50 hand split and splitter. Silver maple always with the hydraulic.
    I burn the silver now with the automatic blower on low. House currently 73 degrees main level 68 upstairs. I save the Oak and Locust for winter

20. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

I’d take all the silver maple I could get. Of course I have no oak or locust. It splits easier than ash for me, of course unless it’s twisted or knotty, but that applies to any wood.