In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Little holes.....

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by reckless, May 24, 2014.

  1. reckless

    reckless

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    428
    Likes Received:
    684
    Hey guys long time! What do you make of these holes in this ash cut last fall? I'm hoping it isnt termites.....
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Paul bunion

    Paul bunion

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    3,396
    Likes Received:
    13,524
    Location:
    NJ
    They look round so I don't think it is EAB. Why don't you pop the bark off and see.
     
  3. reckless

    reckless

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    428
    Likes Received:
    684
    Dont think its EAB either I saw one little bug and it was small and black (not sure if it was the bug making the holes or just a random bug using the holes). There is fine saw dust in the areas I see the holes. These holes are smaller than a BB but bigger than a sewing needle.
     
  4. thistle

    thistle

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    2,736
    Likes Received:
    9,757
    Location:
    Polk/Guthrie Counties,IA
    Sounds like powderpost beetles or something similar.Sapwood of Ash,Hickory,Honey Locust,Mulberry & a few others are like filet mignon to them.
     
  5. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Peckerheads going after bugs?
     
    ID1 and reckless like this.
  6. reckless

    reckless

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    428
    Likes Received:
    684
    Anything to be worried about? Should I keep this stack away from the rest of my ash?
     
  7. reckless

    reckless

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    428
    Likes Received:
    684
    LOL no this is already css for about 6months
     
  8. Stinny

    Stinny

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    Messages:
    14,138
    Likes Received:
    60,665
    Location:
    western Maine
    Well... what ever's doing it... their peckerheads... :rofl: :lol:
     
  9. savemoney

    savemoney

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    13,470
    Likes Received:
    69,200
    Location:
    Chelsea Maine
  10. HDRock

    HDRock

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    17,262
    Likes Received:
    60,487
    Location:
    Grand Blanc, MI,
    I got the same thing but, only on the Shag bark Hickory, other wood next to it nothing
     
  11. reckless

    reckless

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    428
    Likes Received:
    684
  12. reckless

    reckless

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    428
    Likes Received:
    684
    My main question here is this wood will be burned this winter so should I be that worried??
     
  13. Scotty Overkill

    Scotty Overkill Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2013
    Messages:
    9,777
    Likes Received:
    66,333
    Location:
    Central PA
    Nothing to be alarmed about. Termites have to be in ground contact as they need mud to help line their tunnels. The have to keep out of the air in a humid environment or else they will dry up and die so you don't have termites in your wood. I'm guessing powder post beetles.....they won't eat much and they become btus just like the rest of the wood once they are thrown into the stove!
     
  14. reckless

    reckless

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    428
    Likes Received:
    684
    Just what I was looking for scotty!! Thanks Brother!
     
    BrianK and Scotty Overkill like this.
  15. billb3

    billb3

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2013
    Messages:
    10,513
    Likes Received:
    54,562
    Location:
    SE Mass
    Looks like powderpost beetles to me too.
    Got into some live ones splitting dead standing red oak last Winter.
    White skinny 'worm' about a inch long.

    They might not eat much but I had a few splits that looked like miniature swiss cheese.
     
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  16. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,979
    Likes Received:
    312,157
    Location:
    Central MI
    Absolutely not! Just stack it and then burn it. Just powder post beetles.
     
    Stinny likes this.