In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Seasoned?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MFMc., Sep 27, 2019.

1. Jotuller

Jotuller

I feel like most people consider dead = seasoned, clearly we know this is not true. And call me a snob but the more I burn wood at ~13-15% moisture the more I consider that to be seasoned lol

2. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

When I sell wood I list when it was split and stacked. Let the customer decide if thats long enough to be seasoned or not. But I still dont sell anything thats been split less than 6 months

3. Stoveshamster

Stoveshamster

Seasoned means dry in the wood world. Dry and ready to burn. Not too complicated if you ask me

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

That’s a great % for your stuff in that deep winter. Super dry and perfect for most of us anyways. Often that’s also how dry some just get and stays that way because it’s in the equilibrium of moisture to outside air. Here in WA, if its not been kiln dried, something like 9-18% is likely found, with more deviations on each end if the exposure is more sunny or shaded respectively.

5. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Welcome to FHC!

6. jo191145

jo191145

It’s a popular opinion. The problem is wood can be seasoned and wet at the same time.
    Pull up a floor board from your house, toss it in a puddle for a few days. You’ll have soaking wet kiln dried lumber. ;)

7. Jon_E

Jon_E

Most of the ads I see, seasoned means that they cut the trees down this past spring and it's still sitting in log form in the yard. You want some, they cut, split and load in a truck for delivery. It's seasoned because it's been on the ground for a while.

8. Timberdog

Timberdog

If I wasn’t able to cut my own wood myself and had to buy it from a “dealer” (maybe I got injured or sick) I would just ignore what they tell me and assume it’s green and buy next years wood this year (or in the case of oak, 2 years). Just because I couldn’t cut my own wood doesn’t mean I couldn’t season it myself. Get a year or two a head and keep the pipeline filled is what I aim for.

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

:rofl: :lol::thumbs: Check the moisture content of that too.

10. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

11. woody5506

woody5506

True. For me that would be so much cost up front, I don't even like thinking about it. I have one dealer nearby who does sell decently seasoned wood though. He claims it's one year in log form, then one year split/mounded in a huge covered area on pavement. I've bought wood from him a couple times and it's always been pretty good except for the oak that's mixed in.

12. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Ok seasoned here means been sitting a season, maybe log length or split.
    Dry (read ready to burn) is CSS (cut, split and stacked) in my yard an appropriate amount per species.
    We have a species drying chart in our resources tab.
    Well seasoned is an FHC admin. A great guy and host of NE GTG that includes fireworks, great food, drink and comradery!!