In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Comp-Tec holster issue

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by Well Seasoned, May 21, 2014.

  1. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    I finally got my OWB/IWB holster. Its kydex and had great reviews, and for the price, I expected a better holster. It's a great set up, trigger is covered, BUT, the mag release button is too close to the kydex (plastic) and I can see it being an issue and possibly unintentionally releasing the mag. I can send it back, but already waited forever for it.

    I think I would rather do one of 2 things.....

    1. Heat it up alittle and push back the kydex just a hair

    OR

    2. Dremel/ file it back just a hair

    Anyone have experience with this? I've never dealt with kydex before.

    See pics.......

    20140521_200916.jpg 20140521_200948.jpg
     
  2. GrJfer

    GrJfer

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,159
    Likes Received:
    14,075
    Location:
    The Woods of Arkansas
    Lefty I see. Kydex is easy to work with. Heat it with a hair dryer a little, then form it the way you like. Use a wash cloth to keep the other areas cool.

    Looking at yours you could probably just dermal the edge a little. Have you contacted comp-tec?
     
  3. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Great advice! Yes, I contacted them, hoping to get a reply today.
     
  4. My IS heats my home

    My IS heats my home

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2013
    Messages:
    7,394
    Likes Received:
    17,655
    Location:
    Albany, NH
    WS, this is a little off topic. Are the belt loops adjustable on this holster? I did a close up of your pic and still couldn't tell.
     
  5. GrJfer

    GrJfer

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,159
    Likes Received:
    14,075
    Location:
    The Woods of Arkansas
    The loop's are adjustable for ride height, and cant.
     
  6. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    I never really worn holsters but dont think having g all that plastic stuffed in your pantswith a monster pistol would be very comfortable.
     
  7. GrJfer

    GrJfer

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2014
    Messages:
    2,159
    Likes Received:
    14,075
    Location:
    The Woods of Arkansas
    A hybrid holster such as the comp-tec or crossbreed are actually very comfortable. Also the Shield is far from a monster pistol.
     
  8. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Like Grjfr said. Well, I won't be returning it, I did file it down, but unfortunately rolled the grizzly today, and yes was carrying. I think the gun/holster saved me from breaking my hip though. I'll post the crash thread.
     
  9. clemsonfor

    clemsonfor

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    15,996
    Likes Received:
    37,478
    Location:
    Greenwood county SC
    Looks huge guess I need a reference in the pic. Also appears to be a double stack and I personally dont like a double stack for a carry pistol...makes it awfully thick.
     
  10. Well Seasoned

    Well Seasoned Administrator

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2013
    Messages:
    18,038
    Likes Received:
    83,789
    Location:
    N.H. WMNF
    Very small sidearm. Single stack. Yes, the pic is deceiving.