In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Amazing Results From Wood Drying in Pile

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by 94BULLITT, Oct 2, 2019.

1. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

I made a video showing how dry the firewood is in my pile. The pile was about 8 cords, and now is down to about 2 cords.

2. Andyshine77

Andyshine77

When I was selling firewood that's how I try the wood, it seemed to work very well.

3. MFMc.

MFMc.

That is surprising, but it would have been more meaningful if he had some stacked wood in the same location to compare.

4. Yawner

Yawner

That is REALLY interesting! Yes, it would be cool to have someone do both methods and compare after some time.

5. bigfrank

bigfrank

I cut oak and eucalyptus this year in April. I split the wood and tested the oak. It was just over 34% when I split it. I stacked about 4 cords in a single rows 16" by 16' long. Stacked East to West as the prevailing winds blow North/South mostly here. Running out of room, I piled up the rest in a pile, which was about 5 cords. I check both stacked wood and wood out of the pile like this guy did in September. Both were at the same moisture content. 9%-10% So I would say this guy is telling the truth. Now I will say that we had lots of 90-100 degrees days during that time, and the wind blows here lots of days. But the fact that both dried the same goes against everything that I have read and been told.

6. billb3

billb3

I do the same with a big pile of oak leaves. Dry inside the pile.

The wood on the bottom in the middle doesn't dry so well in a pile like that. Key words being ' so well '.

Picking from the outer perimeter is pretty much testing the driest splits.

7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

94BULLITT is a straight shooter. If he says that's what he got, believe him.. I would not see that here, hot dry year in VA?? IDK.. My wood that was split and piled last fall and stacked this spring is still not dry enough!! I never saw 100 only few days over 90.. Oh pile was not finished stacked because had 3 feet of snow by thanksgiving

8. Chaz

Chaz

Nice vid 94BULLITT

Some interesting results.
    Will you continue checking towards the middle of the pile as well?

Stacking is the only part of firewood that I find boring & tedious.
    :doh:

But I'm a bit of a slacker.. So there's that.
    :emb:
    :rofl: :lol:

9. billb3

billb3

So,'not just a Stacker Slacker™ but a general overall slacker ?

10. Chaz

Chaz

:rofl: :lol:

Depends on the day, and the chore.

A bit more "overall" than is recommended though.
    :emb:

I enjoy life more than work, but there are jobs that I enjoy much more than others.
    :saw::axe:

:cool::dex:

:stacker:
    :doh:

11. wishlist

wishlist Guest

Interesting results , thanks for sharing .
    The best that I could tell tho is the splits look smallish imo which would certainly dry sooner . Here in mid Michigan green oak is gonna take 2 years , 3 is better no matter how it’s stacked .

12. papadave

papadave

Gotta' think that climate must be a factor. We aren't that fortunate up here.
    I've had piles of different types of wood get moldy, slimy, and just generally nasty when left in that state.
    Once stacked, problemo goes away.

13. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I split about a cord of oak last winter, and left it in a pile until about late August. Granted, my pile was far smaller than his pile in the video, and many of my splits were bigger, but most of the splits were still obviously not ready. However, a surprising number of the smaller splits felt like they were plenty dry. I didnt take readings, just went off feel and put them in the stacks for another 2-3 years.

Splitting smaller and maybe putting some pallets under the splits would probably help even more.

14. B.Brown

B.Brown

Good video, thanks for taking the time to make it, very interesting results

15. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

So, next year if I have a pile then stack some next to the pile, how much should I stack? Would a 1/4 or 1/2 cord be enough? Then how should I stack it?

16. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

That is some really dry wood! That is interesting the stacked and the pile were the same MC.

This Pile had 8+ cords in it. The pile came out to about where the camera is sitting. See all of the chips on the ground. The part of firewood I dislike the most if splitting. My favorite part is the cutting, that is part of the reason I mess with firewood.

Supposedly wood drys from the ends, but I think it small splits help it dry better. I also forgot to mention in the video, that I think the time of year when the trees are cut makes a difference too.

Thanks!

Thanks! We have a mild summer. Maybe a day two over 100, and very few high 90 days.

Thanks!

17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Great findings and theres that science getting involved in this. I had my splits much larger than yours. Mostly because if they are larger, lasting longer? I don’t know the exact science to that but less airspace around will slow the burn but let me get back on track, this was merely showing you can get to burnable %’s from
    APRIL to September with oak. That’s pretty good. Have to think of how hot it could potentially get inside the pile. Lots of factors but looks like you put some optimistic options in for others needing to dry their wood out quickly for the winter. Is everything going to be optimal, short answer no but you had some great results.

Most of my splits are probably about 2-4 times bigger than yours, so something worked for you. Great and thanks for posting. If you decided to why not stack like we do maybe an 1/8th of a cord in different places in your yard. Cribbing, or no. Others could be the just a pile of them like yours maybe smaller? Wondering if size had anything to do with potential splits inside being more dry but that’s the whole point? At least you have more baselines to work towards .

18. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

I dont think more than 1/4 would be necessary for a control. It would be interesting to see.

19. Yawner

Yawner

Wondering if a large pile generates heat like a compost pile does. In the middle, a compost pile can reach 170 degrees. You need water for a compost pile, but the wood has water inside it. It would be interesting to have a thermometer inside the large pile of splits. Hmmm...

20. jo191145

jo191145

The trees that create the shade also shield from rain. Could be a factor.

I had some piles of tulip splits in a field. Tulip is known for getting moldy Ended up throwing half of it away. Black slimy mess.
    I also had some rounds of fresh live red oak that I left in the forest for a season. Stacked on the ground.
    Was worried they’d be mushrooms. I was surprised at how light they were. Felt about half the weight of when I stacked them. Strange things happen.