In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

The competition is ramping up

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sandhillbilly, Sep 22, 2019.

  1. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,749
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    So, on Friday I had to go to the local plant that manufactures cattle handling equipment to get a chunk off steel for a project at work. While talking to the foreman, he asked if I was gonna be out of town for a while anytime soon. I replied, “I hadn’t planned on it, why do you ask?” He answered, “ I noticed that you are getting quite a bit of firewood stacked up & thought I would help you get rid of some!” ( he was kidding of corse, he lives a mile up the road & goes by several times a day). Yesterday, a neighbor just up the road followed me out of town, up the highway 30 miles then turned off towards the family ranch. He had the whole family loaded up. Side boards put on the flat bed of his pickup and pulling a flat bed trailer with the side boards on. Pretty sure I know what his plan for the day was. Also last week I was doing an ADC beaver job for a guy about 4 miles out of town. I Spotted a nice standing dead ash with supper easy access, I asked him if I could have it. He said no because the flock of turkey that hang around the house use it for a roost &!he would rather they roost there than in the cottonwoods in his yard and crap all over everything. So I said ok & asked about other trees ,he said that 2 other people cut on him. Good firewood is kinda hard to come by in my area. I’m starting to see that there are more people around who burn wood than I thought. Don’t believe there’s any other serious hoarders though. A few years back I had access to a pretty good spot on the edge of town and got a couple loads. About 2 weeks later I went back and it looked like someone else had been in there cutting, but still got a a pickup & trailer full. The next time I went there it was picked clean. Nowadays When I find a good spot or score I try to keep it a closely held secret, like a favorite sweet fishing spot.
     
  2. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,749
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    Just noticed that put this in the wrong place, was supposed to be in the woodpile. Mods can you move it? I don’t have a clue how to
     
  3. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    I understand how difficult it is in most of your state to get firewood. Good luck.

    Well Seasoned maybe you can move this thread?
     
  4. Sandhillbilly

    Sandhillbilly

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2019
    Messages:
    4,261
    Likes Received:
    30,749
    Location:
    North central Nebraska
    Once you get about 60 miles east it’s pretty good all the way to Iowa, from here west, not so much!
     
  5. Backwoods Savage

    Backwoods Savage Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2013
    Messages:
    48,983
    Likes Received:
    312,192
    Location:
    Central MI
    Yes, we've noticed around Omaha and a little west it is not too bad but still compare to our way, it is very lightly wooded. We really notice if we head west that by the time we get not too far west of Chicago, the trees get fewer and fewer. Same thing in Iowa. Although there are some small woods and rivers are lined, most of it is barren for trees.
     
  6. Eric VW

    Eric VW Moderator

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Messages:
    24,549
    Likes Received:
    141,574
    Location:
    US
    Done :handshake:
     
  7. buZZsaw BRAD

    buZZsaw BRAD

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2019
    Messages:
    34,780
    Likes Received:
    215,147
    Location:
    North Haven, Connecticut
    yup, good idea to keep it on the Q.T. with a lot of hoarders around.
     
  8. Stephiedoll

    Stephiedoll

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    Messages:
    4,084
    Likes Received:
    29,359
    Location:
    Omaha, NE.
    Yep, wood is plentiful around here. Will be getting a mulberry tree in 2-3 weeks. Should work up to close to a full cord.
     
    Midwinter, FatBoy85 and Chvymn99 like this.