In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Leaves are dropping

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Sourwood, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Sourwood

Sourwood

yesterday at sunset, I was laying ‘neath some oaks, looking at the sky. I saw a solitary dark color oak leave drift from the top, and make its way to the ground.

Tonight after mowing a hunting field, I light my pipe and enjoyed the view of the pasture. A poplar had about half its leaves turning and the breeze was shaking a bunch of them loose.

The nights haven’t turned chilly yet, but it appears Fall has begun.

2. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Some of the poplar in the backyard have already dropped most of their leaves...I seen a maple across the street that has some color in the top 1/3 of the tree...unfortunately I can never remember from year to year if all this is "early" or not...

3. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

I'm feeling like it is early although things aren't starting to really change a lot yet here. It's been dry too lately, amazingly & I think that is having an effect.
    Was just saying to my wife, I wish I had started keeping track 17 years ago as to what date we had our first fire of the season and maybe what date it became round the clock for multiple days. Would've been neat to have it on a slate or board mounted to the brick wall aside the stove. When we finally escape New Jersey to New Hampshire, will have to start there.

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

We are at the eve of autumn right now. Soon things will change dramatically for some...

5. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

In Mass things are starting to change a bit. I was in NH last weekend and they are about 1/4 started in the top 3rd of the state.
    Looking forward to the color, it was a wet enough summer here so I think the colors will be brighter than last year

6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Yes, things are changing but at least here it is not early; it happens about this time every year and we have not had anywhere near a frost. I surely wish it would cool off though...

7. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

It’s cooling off here a bit more. It was cloudy but warm and humid last week so it makes work in the stacks less appealing. The cold snap when it drifts to 55 and below makes it so much harder to break a sweat.

8. Sourwood

Sourwood

Wife and I sat in the bottom 40 at sunset, speculating on how soon the leaves will turn. Still pretty green, but in a week or so, the times will be changing