In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ash = round

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Yawner, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

When I see pics of ash on forums, it is always so incredibly round! What beautiful logs! I guess it splits easy too. I am not even sure we have ash here even though I think I have seen some maps showing it should be. I only recall my brother, decades ago, talking about a tract of land we used to farm where there was ash because he would cut some occasionally to make stuff out of. I sure wish we had it! We just don't have any tree as ROUND as these ash logs/rounds I see on forums. It seems to be an amazing tree/wood, it's a shame about the EAB. I hope ash survives for the future. And I am going to be on the lookout for some around here, it has me curious.

2. red oak

red oak

Ash is my new favorite wood for all but the coldest weather. Light, splits easy, and puts out enough heat for me most of the time. Sadly most are dying around here so I guess I’ll be burning a lot more.

3. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

We have ash here in SC. It's not all that common of a tree but we have it. It's not near as round when I see it as it seems to grow in hardwood country up north!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. JoeinO

JoeinO

One of Ohio's most common and fastest growing trees according to what I've read. Valuable for making furniture, baseball bats and tool handles.
    It is one of my favorites for sure, splits easy dries fast readily available. Had some twisted stuff that didn't split easy at all by hand. The place I work at the owner pays to have a couple big ones treated every year. Saturating the ground around the tree is how.
    EAB is in every county in the buckeye according to DNR Ohio forestry.

FatBoy85, Chaz, Midwinter and 2 others like this.
  5. Yawner

Yawner

Are you saying they can treat an ash with insecticide? They put it in the ground? If so, cool that they want to save those trees and cool that there is a solution. Prolly expensive!

FatBoy85, Chaz, JoeinO and 3 others like this.
  6. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Usually...but not always. I have had some that you would have sworn was Elm...nasty!

whitey, Ashwatcher, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  7. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Yes. Prohibitively so...most people might do a few favorite yard trees if anything at all, that's about it...

FatBoy85, Ashwatcher, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  8. Yawner

Yawner

Makes me wonder how it works if they treat the ground under the tree. Or I guess it could go into the roots and then the tree.

FatBoy85, Chaz, JoeinO and 4 others like this.
  9. woody5506

woody5506

It's probably my favorite common hardwood to scrounge here in NY. Seems like every week there's some or a lot up for free on CL. The stuff that is nice and round/straight is what splits easily. There's definitely other stuff that is NOT straight and splits horribly. Probably all depends on where it grew.

Chaz, JoeinO, Midwinter and 4 others like this.
  10. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Ashwatcher, Chaz, JoeinO and 5 others like this.
  11. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

They treat it with an injection bi-annually. It doesn’t keep the boars from getting in, it paralyzes them when they get in so they can’t continue to boar and get out causing the death of they tree. The arborists are saying that it costs about the same to treat the trees for the life of the tree as it does to remove them. Some people are treating nice yard trees that the want to keep.

Ashwatcher, Chaz, JoeinO and 6 others like this.
  12. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Ash has always been one of my favorites for sure. Yes, it does split easy and it burns nice. Although oak will hold fire a bit longer than ash, we've used it for overnight fires many, many times.

One year after I got laid up I could not stand not being able to do much of anything. I ended up sitting on an ash round with a sledge and wedge. All I could do was to just lightly tap the wedge with the sledge but I split a lot of wood that winter doing it that way. Yes, it was slow going but it got done!

Ashwatcher, Chaz, JoeinO and 5 others like this.
  13. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I think green (variety, not living) is stringier. I had a 14" round i had to sledge and wedge in half. Dump score last May. IMG_0333.JPG

14. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

A lot of them are nice and round for sure. Ash is the second behind oak in my wood inventory. Splits easy (white ash) and seasons fast. Green ash (variety) can be tough to split though. Barks are very similar on both. Most of what ive scored in recent years has been from EAB sadly. Couple dead ones in my woods i may fell this Winter. Have to wheelbarrow them out though.

15. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

As long as those green little buggers don’t over populate and invade ash to the point that they eradicate the species I will enjoy what it has to offer us hoarders.

16. Need2Saw

Need2Saw

As wood burners, we have been spoiled with all the dead ash in Michigan. I didn’t experience the Dutch elm dilemma but there are a lot 6-8” elm trees around me now. I hope the ash trees bounce back the same.

This picture is from last winters wood harvest.

Attached Files:

17. Gpsfool

Gpsfool

I think the tide has turned here in western NY. Lots of Ash to be had, way more available for free this year vs. years past. Driving around this summer so sad to see all the dead trees - they’re everywhere. Silver lining - I’ve cut, split and stacked almost 3 full cord of Ash since mid August.

18. Ashwatcher

Ashwatcher

I love a beautiful ash...nice work sir!!!! :yes:

19. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Yep I agree. The ash around here is green ash and is stringy when trying to split.

brenndatomu likes this.