In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Torx head set

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

Is that what they're called, the bolts that have kind of the star shaped head? It's on Stihl saws and some others. I think I have come across #27 on Stihl saws and that is served by the scrench I got with the saw. What else could I need? 20, 25? I don't have a set. Should I just buy a few or just get a set, and, if so, can anyone recommend one? I am no heavy user, lol, it doesn't have to be top of the line. Maybe I will got a pawn shop! But, really, advice for online shopping is great!

M2theB, farmer steve, Hammy and 3 others like this.
  2. Chaz

Chaz

Yep Torx bits, and a common set shouldn't be expensive at all, and likely cheaper than purchasing individual ones.

3. Chaz

Chaz

4. Yawner

Yawner

What about those sets of the individual ones with screwdriver-style handles, are those any better? They have long skinny shafts like a screwdriver.

Heck, now that I think about it, I might even have some torx BITS, I have bought quite a few tools from estate sales and I got crap I don't even remember buying, lol. I keep finding stuff. Some of it, I bought in lots to where you buy a group of stuff or a toolbox full of odds/ends.

But, again, if anyone thinks, "You gotta have a 20, 25 and a 27 (or whatever)," let me know. TIA!

farmer steve, Hammy, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  5. Chaz

Chaz

The best benefit of the screwdriver set is that you dont have to worry about the bits coming out of the holder, but run a bit more.

TORX screwdriver set 12pc T6 - T45 with cushioned grip by U.S.PRO AT425

I use the bits myself, but can envision an application wherein the bit holder cant fit the screwhole, where the screwdriver set would.

Personally, i've never shied away from a tool purchase.
    :emptywallet::emptywallet:
    :emb:

farmer steve, Hammy, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  6. Chaz

Chaz

Better deal here..

Torx Screwdriver Set,TECKMAN 10 in 1 Magnetic Torx Security Screwdrivers with T6 T8 T9 T10 T15 T20 T25 T27 T30 T40 Long Bit for Stihl Saws,Dyson Vacuum,Motorcycle,Bicycles,Automobile and Dishwasher

7. Yawner

Yawner

Cool! thanks

8. Chaz

Chaz

You're quite welcome.
    :cheers:

9. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I would have at least the 20,25,27, and 30 size for torx. I would not get the screw driver handle type but the t-handle type. Some of those screws can get pretty tight and the t-handle is the way to go.

M2theB, Ronaldo, eatonpcat and 5 others like this.
  10. OldJack

OldJack

I bought a GEL set, whoever they are, years ago. T10 to T30 are 1/4" drive, T40, T45, T50 are 3/8" drive. Mostly I use a T27 screwdriver that's in my little chainsaw tool kit instead of digging a ratchet out the big toolbox that usually stays in the shop. The screwdriver spins faster too. This has been a good set. The T45, I think, has taken considerable torque opening up a John Deere header auger.

Chaz likes this.
  11. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

I disagree with Mag Craft .. Get magnetic bits they fit in a ratchet with extensions or a screwdriver that hold bits.
    T27 to fix half things in my car..

Chaz likes this.
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

You can get the little bits that fit in a nut driver. Torx drive screws are very popular in the construction industry these days. I use them a lot. When you buy a box of the screws they give you a free bit. Pictured are T-20 and T-25. Ive never bought any of the "screwdriver" size torx.
    My screnches are the flathead versions. I think i once had an "allen" wrench version of the torx. Used it occasionally on the saw.
    IMG_0928.JPG IMG_0927.JPG

Chaz and eatonpcat like this.
  13. ironpony

ironpony

IMO if you are sign to work on small equipment you need screwdriver type set AND a 1/4 drive bit set.
    Many small pieces of equipment a bit holder with bit will NOT fit into the recess the screws in.
    Go to Lowes or HD and buy a screwdriver set and a "case" of assorted 1/4" bits on sale. You will get everything you need fairly cheap.

14. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

I like 'em like this.

[​IMG]

Plenty of leverage and harder to lose. I started buying this style in hex (Allen) when I worked as a machinist in a shop too crowded to move your toolbox. Put two in your pocket and you have them all.

OldJack and Chaz like this.
  15. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

I find that getting a T-handle down the holes in the cylinder is much easier than using 1/4 inch extensions.

You know if you are going to be working on a lot of saws then having an assortment of torx is good to have.

Chaz, Stephiedoll and Ronaldo like this.
  16. dall

dall

exactly t handles are nice and long while giving you enough torque to install or remove the screws
    the ones used with extensions wont fit most holes on a saw
    yes they will take a recoil off but going down through fins of a cylinder is a different story

M2theB, OldJack, Chaz and 4 others like this.