In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Keeping Track

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Biddleman, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Biddleman

Biddleman

Just curious to see how and what others record when they burn in a season. Im assuming most keep track of the amount of firewood they use in cord number.
    But do some of you keep track of the specific type of firewood burned, when burned, avg. temps, etc... just like to know how detailed some get.

2. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

The only tracking I do, is watching for a wood rack to become empty, so I can refill.

3. papadave

papadave

I got to the point where I knew approx. how many BTUs were being used. Needed to know how much to replace.
    If you burn something else, it's much easier......it's on the bill every month.
    Really don't worry about it too much anymore, since I just know if burning full time I'll be using about 5 full cord (but I always have more than that on hand ready to go). Last year was about 1/2 that, but we used the furnace for the other half. Same plan for this year, dependent on temps, of course.

4. papadave

papadave

The wood available changes almost every year too, so that can change how much wood is used.

5. billb3

billb3

I was weighing wood used and noting type but that lasted about two weeks as the scale was in the unheated garage and it was rather freaking cold out. The list of valid reasons not to bother got quite long. I decided the effort was better spent growing the stacks and staying ahead of the depletion rate. A documented depletion rate might have been interesting but not interesting enough to weather the storms as it were.

6. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I dont. At first i did, but have more than enough on hand. Just make sure theres wood near the house. Ive calculated i burn a log an hour and a cord of my sized splits will last roughly a month with a non stop burn which only happens during the dead of Winter.

7. jo191145

jo191145

Well I would have thought more of you keep closer track. Not me though, I can’t keep track of what I had for lunch yesterday. burn what I burn when I burn it.

8. Stephiedoll

Stephiedoll

Almost impossible to keep track here as wood is all different lengths. Should be sitting on close to 8+ cords at the house and guess I burn about 2 cords a year. Have a few cords of locust cut, split and ready at best friends place on deck. Haven't gathered much the past two years, but sitting pretty.

9. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

I burn about 4-5 cord of shoulder wood & 5-6 of Oak, Hard Maple, Locust etc. per year in the OWB. I know what my racks hold up top & down below so I'm pretty close on those measures. Closest I bother to measure. I've got about 30 cord on hand & about another 200 to haul back.

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We usually know pretty close to how much we burn but have never kept close tabs on it. It is a bit easier for us now though as we usually put around 3 cord in the barn in the fall. I've never kept track of how much of how much of each type of wood we burn as it is just mixed together except for the oak. We burn the oak only during the long cold winter nights in January-February.

11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

First time I burned, I had a long rack of Alder. Topped with some black locust for nighttime. At that time I was using that as a half cord measurement roughly. Then I had moved onto other areas in my stacks. Not an accurate system but because I liked certain woods to burn and knew where they were, I guess I got picky and then other times it didn’t matter too much. When all was said and done, I think it was about a cord and change to a cord and a half burned. Too rough to tell since so much was taken all over my stacks and bins that I had only better reference from the stacks. Still I was pleased to have a wood burner inside and that didn’t keep me from burning outside.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    amateur cutter and ReelFaster like this.
  12. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I just try to keep track like most of us do on the amount used. I do like to have my woods generally separated. All Oak goes in for the overnight burns and before I leave for work for the day an Oak mix. Softer woods get burned early in the morning and just after work to bridge the gaps between the oak burns. I have soft woods brought up on the porch easy access early in the AM when I am still bumping into walls from not having my caffeine fix :coffee:

amateur cutter likes this.
  13. coreboy83

coreboy83

We only burn oak, ash and maple. Oaks being 75% of the mix. We have 3 areas, 3 cords each, one is fresh as fresh can be, the middle spot is 1-2 years old, and the other is going into the attached garage very soon. Its a revolving use of the 3 spots we keep our wood

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  14. Jon_E

Jon_E

I burn whatever I can get my hands on. Probably 30 different species available in my woods and locally. I fill the woodshed, know that it has 5 cords in it, and then panic when it's empty in mid-March. :hair:

FatBoy85 and ReelFaster like this.