In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Refurbishing an Abrasion Blasting Cabinet - any tips?

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by don2222, Sep 5, 2019.

1. don2222

don2222

Hello
    We picked up a Trinco Trinity 24 BP in tough shape. It is working with the foot pedal and light but the light lens has a crack and the motor and hose for the dust reclaimer kit is missing.
    The G34 gun has a 25 CFM nozzle which may be a bit much for my DeWalt compressor but seemed ok in a small test run,
    The first step is to clean and wire wheel the dust reclaimer cans and Blast Cabinet, then prime with white and paint with New Sky Blue. We are in the process of doing that now.
    Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

imwiley1 likes this.
  2. don2222

don2222

Hello
    “This Old Blasting Cabinet” lol
    Next step is installing swivel locking casters so I can roll it outside for painting?
    Search Results For "locking swivel casters"
    Drilled 4 - 1/2” holes and used wheel lug style half inch nuts, flat washers on each side and lock washers. These casters support 100 lbs so perfect for this job
    Anyone else do this?
    See pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    RabbleRouser and imwiley1 like this.
  3. don2222

don2222

Starting the VHT flat white high temperature primer. Even White is better than the scratched and rusty light green look. :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    RabbleRouser and imwiley1 like this.
  4. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Light box lens is cracked soI got a new one.
    Easy to change the bulb to LED if I. An get in 72 watts? Then Should I paint the inside of the light box Silver to reflect the light down on the work better?

Attached Files:

imwiley1 likes this.
  5. don2222

don2222

Painted the inside of the light box silver and got a 75 Watt Bright White LED bulb to replace the 72 watt OEM incandescent bulb,

Attached Files:

imwiley1 likes this.
  6. chris

chris

I am sure you know but all the parts are available from Trinco. You will definitely want a smaller cfm gun- I have a 180 gallon tank with a 25 cfm 2 stage compressor- keeps up with the 25 gun . my 15 cfm unit on a 80 tank could not always waiting on air pressure. Check out IDS Blast for guns and gloves/ sleeves. I would recommend their sleeves with the snap on gloves , the inexpensive one piece gloves do not last- course that depends on your amount of use- mine is is used everyday 48x24 cabinet - Hose you can use shop vac hose just need to make a heavy grommet for the cabinet and collector. did you get the weighted bag for the lower half of the collector assembly? The bag acts as a filter before the suction motor material is deposited in lower can. The pick up hose for the media will blow out eventually, you can get away with some garden hose it dose need to be moderately flexible. Guns last along time but they too will blow out the internal parts are replaceable as long as the main section is not etched out inside.

imwiley1 likes this.
  7. don2222

don2222

Thanks so much for your comments. I did get the parts from Trinco and they gave me alot of good support for what I needed. I have a DeWalt 15 Gallon D55168 comprssor.
    It does have some special for quick recovery times, so it did well with the 25 CFM nozzle but I ordered the 12 CF nozzle so it should be better. See DeWalt specs in pic.
    I will check out IDS Blast for gloves, thanks I did not know there was a weighted bag but I could put a rock in the bottom of the regular bag?

Also how does the top and bottom of your dust collector cans stay together? Mine has some sort of rubber piece with bolts? Do you have a pic?
    See pic of my rubber piece in soggy shape. :-(

Link to DeWalt Compressor with pic on Amazon
    More specs on DeWalt 15 Gallon D55168
    • 5.0 SCFM at 90 PSI allows for quick compressor recovery times
    • 78 dBA (tested per ISO3744) operational noise level for a quieter work environment
    • Ehp Efficient high pressure technology delivers exceptional air-tool runtimes
    • Oil free, maintenance free pump for convenient use; Efficient high pressure motor allows the compressor to be run with an extension cord (12 Ga. or heavier, 50 ft. or less) due to consistent amp draw requirements of the compressor
    • Dimension: 24.5 L x 22 W x 44.75 H inch
    • Item weight: 120 pounds

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  8. chris

chris

on my collector there is a steel formed ring that clamps the 2 barrels together( similar to a lid clamp on a 55 gallon or smaller steel drum_ . The bag/filter open end just fits over the lower barrel place upper unit on it clamp together. I will try to remember to take some pics tomorrow as I have to scoot now. some sort of non sharp edged weight- when you turn it off makes bag drop somewhat self cleaning of the fine dust. on mine there is a loop sewn into bottom of bag that a huge steel washer like item is attached with. I tossed my old gun out so I can't get you a picture of the wear area but it is about where the siphon line enters. I run various media -walnut shells ,corn cob, glass bead and other heavy duty abrasives for some items. nice thing about the walnut or corn is very little base surface abrasion but gets the dirt off. used corn cob to clean turbo up off a 7.3 ford diesel.

9. don2222

don2222

The electrical was fine but just shabby shakes so I rewired it right! Not sure why it had an in wall electrical box? I used a surface mount :)

Attached Files:

10. don2222

don2222

Got the first sky blue color coat on finally
    The inside is flat black

Attached Files:

RabbleRouser likes this.
  11. RabbleRouser

RabbleRouser

Nothing better than refurbishing solid older equipment rather than supporting the Made in Cheaper market.

don2222 likes this.
  12. don2222

don2222

Yes, the steel on this Blast Cab is 14 Guage, the steel on the Harbor Freight Blast Cab is 19 Guage! Holy thin man Batman! Yes Boy Ribbin!
    Got the new gloves in and a LED 75 watt bulb to replace the 72 watt incandescent bulb. Put in flat tape rope gasket to replace gaskets. Also put red silicone strips in around glove holes to replace that gasket.

Attached Files:

13. don2222

don2222

Hi Chris
    I just changed the air jet in the gun from 25 CFM down to 12 CFM so my 5.4 CFM compressor will run twice as long.
    What are you running in CFM for your gun air jet and compressor?
    The dirty old one below is the 25 CFM air jet :)

Attached Files:

14. chris

chris

I have both the 25 and a 12 guns, compressor is around 30cfm 2 stage. I took some pictures with the cell phone but ever since I got this box back form repair it will not accept photos from phone.

15. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Which do you use, the 12 CFM or 25 CFM gun?

16. don2222

don2222

Just setup the optional gun holding rod. It is nice to just be able to hold the work with 2 hands.
    Any comments?

Attached Files:

17. chris

chris

I have the 25cfm on right now as I have had a bunch of larger items to clean with the 180 gallon tank and the big compressor I never run out of air. The 80 gallon with a 15 cfm pump was marginal and the 7 cfm on a 60 was hurry up and wait both 7 and 15 units are low rpm type Quincy units . The big one is a Westinghouse that I got for the grand total of $100- 20 minutes on my lathe to make a new part ( oem part was over $100) off to the races. before I got the Westinghouse I would run the other 2 in tandum to get enough volume for use with those roll about pressure pots . I have another unit that is a portable blaster /reclaimer combination. I will get pics for you. the computer company is making a visit about noon today- hopefully the issue will be resolved. I had sent the box out to remove any nasty viruses and such that my own programs were possible not addressing- They installed a bunch of win 7 updates- then the problem began- which has been my experience with Windows updates since forever . I date back to the mid 70s on this stuff but I am not a guru. most of the time I can muddle through. Plugging the phone into the port it should be a plug and play function, but something is scrambled. It is possible, thinking about it now, that the 32/64 bit conversion functions have been altered by the updates

18. don2222

don2222

I am doing mostly small parts and the DeWalt is 5.4 CFM with quick recovery actually worked with the 25 CFM air jet ok. Yesterday I finished the Blast Cabinet Refurbishing and installed the 12 CFM air jet and ordered the last of the parts for the dust collector kit where I already got a new motor and filter bag with the big washer on the filter bag.
    I am thinking of putting wheels on the bottom dust collector drum. Do u think that is a good idea?

19. don2222

don2222

Hello
    Finally got the clamps for the dust collector kit and had to bend the motor mount clamps to mount the motor! Also had to wire in my own 16 gauge 3 prong plug!

Attached Files:

woody5506 likes this.
  20. woody5506

woody5506

What media do you plan to run in this?