In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Why so many NIB Echo

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Yawner, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Yawner

Yawner

I wonder why there are so many Echo saws for sale new in box? Craigslist, FB marketplace. I see them all the time and I don't think I have ever seen a Stihl NIB. I have seen a few Huskies. Poulan, Craftsman, yes. Maybe people start lawn businesses, buy a cheap saw, and never use it? Any ideas, it is constant with the Echo saws. I also wondered if it's thieves, lol.

M2theB, Midwinter, tamarack and 5 others like this.
  2. James Miller

James Miller

Think they have a tendency to walk out the back of your local HD.

3. ironpony

ironpony

Pallet sales have become a big thing, big box stores sell off out of season, returns, old part numbers, etc by the pallet. They load up pallets with the merchandise and a distributor sells them to customers who resell them.
    I have bought a few over the last few years, very hit and miss. You can buy full trailer loads of tools from HD Lowes etc about 7k a load. For me it takes too much time to piece them out for sale. Individual pallets go for 3-400

Oh and my point was Echo is a big box brand. They are all over CL here, I don't do FB so I do not know about that.
    When I search CL I know right away which sellers bought a pallet and are trying to resell the stuff.

4. dougand3

dougand3

Same here. If a saw is NIB on CL or FB, it's an Echo. Rare occasion will be a Husky or Poulan.

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

i would guess theft as well. I was at local HD yesterday and stopped to look at chainsaws of course. 4-5 different Echo models for sale. When i went down the tool aisle there was a camera sensor that beeped and was recording me.
    Ive been at Lowes and witnessed first hand a thief run out the door. One of the pro desk guys told me its fairly common and they are almost powerless against it.
    I wondered if the new Stihl 261 i got dirt cheap on Ebay back in July was stolen or not.
    What are the asking prices for the NIB saws on CL/FB marketplace? Is is close to MSRP or cheaper?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    amateur cutter, Stlshrk and Hammy like this.
  6. Yawner

Yawner

Prices on CL or FB are often cheaper than retail, sometimes pretty good price. The posters above who say pallet sales are why, this makes sense to me because it is SO common. They show a picture of the actual box. Consumers just don't usually keep an item in its original box, they generally think they are going to use whatever they bought even if they don't right then. And a thief is usually not going to have a box, it's too hard to carry, unless they loaded up their truck after hours!

7. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

makes sense. I just checked local CL and no NIB Echo saws or even used for that matter. Im not on FB.

amateur cutter and Hammy like this.
  8. Biddleman

Biddleman

Maybe a localized thing. Just looked at CL, bunch of stihls, homelites, craftsman. No echo nor Husky. Most looked beat. Nicest looking one was a 461 Stihl for $900.00

9. chbryson

chbryson

I know a guy that had his catalytic convertor cut off his car while in the parking lot of Lowes (employee) with a battery powered sawzall that was stolen from the same store minutes earlier. They aren't allowed to chase thieves. They should be able to cut off a finger for each offense.

buZZsaw BRAD, dougand3 and eatonpcat like this.
  10. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Perfect use for the stolen sawzall!!

M2theB, blacktail and Flint Mitch like this.
  11. Flint Mitch

Flint Mitch

I witnessed a guy push a heaping cart full of dewalt tools from my local "depot" one day, and the staff just watched. It really pizzed me off since I was there buying my brand new 20v dewalt drill and sawzall and extra battery with my hard earned money.
    I don't do the craigslist thing for that reason. Not on Facebook so I can't do the marketplace thing anyway!

buZZsaw BRAD likes this.
  12. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

I was in Lowes last Spring and a thief runs out with something and they couldnt chase him. I WAS PIZZED. I ran out but too far away to get plate. Told me it happens on a regular basis.

dougand3 and eatonpcat like this.
  13. dougand3

dougand3

That's quite a shame. Some great entertainment in Panama City, FL is sitting outside the Walmart. Teenagers run out with security on their heels. Teenagers get slammed to the asphalt and dragged back in store. Cops come. This is the Redneck Riviera - guess we hadn't learned about criminals' rights. LOL.

14. Yawner

Yawner

Luvit! Lowes, etc. just letting thieves get away with it just aggravates me! I got burglarized before and the guy pawned it, I found it. They had his driver's license. The po-po did nothing, zero.

buZZsaw BRAD and dougand3 like this.