In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dump trailer vs small dump truck?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Dewittmichiganwood, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Dewittmichiganwood

Dewittmichiganwood

Been interested in getting a dump trailer but I like the idea of a small dump truck (1 ton).
    With a small dump I can still haul the tractor behind when done for the day.
    But the cost for a trailer that A) doesn't need insurance. B) IN MICHIGAN dont need but a 1 time plate vs every year.
    C) less moving parts on the trailer to go wrong with.
    What would you prefer?

2. huskihl

huskihl

Hard to go wrong with a dump trailer.

3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Agree... wish I could afford oe

4. T.Jeff Veal

T.Jeff Veal

First, what size truck and tractor do you have? We have a F-150 with air bags and 7x12 dump trailer that will haul a 30hp Kubota with FEL. That being said, a 3/4 ton would be better. As you stated, no insurance and moving parts are +'s for the trailer.

Boogeyman, Woodsnwoods, Chaz and 6 others like this.
  5. 94BULLITT

94BULLITT

Dump trailer for reasons that have already been mentioned.

I don't think it is a good idea to put a load on a truck, then hook a loaded trailer to it. The truck would be way over loaded.

6. In the Pines

In the Pines

hard to beat a 4x4 dump truck, I keep wanting to get one but I don't know if I could justify owning it.
    I don't sell firewood yet and that would be about the only way I know it could earn it's keep.

7. farmer steve

farmer steve

If going for a dump trailer go for a deckover type. I have a regular type and when dumping I have to pull ahead to get the whole load off which leaves me with a long pile. A deckover will let you dump the load in one compact pile.

8. Nixon

Nixon

Being as I have a half ton pickup , I went with a 7k Bri-mar dump . It’s 6x10 ,has the barn/spreader doors ,and stow able ramps . Couldn’t be happier with my decision .

Woodsnwoods, RGrant, Chaz and 7 others like this.
  9. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Good friend has 1 ton dump.. Real question is what do you do for work? A 1 ton is not a daily driver. Most Farmers have one here to move feed, dirt etc..

If you get a 1-ton you will have a lot of friends every weekend;)

10. ironpony

ironpony

Dump trailer minimal maintenance. Dump truck too high to load easily. Insurance, maintenance, probably older and needing tweaking when you use it. Wont haul more than a good dump trailer. Might get into a few spots a trailer won't.

11. Certified106

Certified106

Dump trailer, way less maintenance and less costly to own in my opinion.

12. jo191145

jo191145

Dump trailer much lower to load. I like things as low as possible.
    I was never tall but I was once young. Nowadays I have a hard time getting into the bed of my Ram 2500. They make some tall trucks these days. Good for plowing snow though.

I’ve had a few mason dumps. When the last one became unsuitable for the road without a lot of money invested I thought long and hard about replacing it. Went with a pickup and dump trailer.
    May vary by state but my dump needed commercial insurance due to the GVWR.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  13. billb3

billb3

ROI unless you have a back yard full of money trees.

14. Will C

Will C

Dump trailer all the way for all the reasons mentioned. An example-my brother just bought a 7x14 14k dump trailer. I've borrowed it-it is too big for my truck to use max payload, but I can legally haul 6,000lbs of payload behind my Tundra. You can't legally do that with a dump truck unless you go to a F 450 or 550 truck-you can't legally do it a one ton dump ( I know some do but they aren't legal.)

15. ironpony

ironpony

I DO NOT want to start a weight police situation but if you get stopped they will base the "weight" on registered weight not what is in it unless you are overloaded then they will weigh it.

16. Dewittmichiganwood

Dewittmichiganwood

Its main use would be for firewood gathering.
    Odd chores around the property.
    Always hauling materials around on the flat trailer. Pain in the a** unloading. Usually by hand.

My current set up is 3/4 ton dodge with 16ft 7000l.b. trailer and a 30 h.p. kubota with F.E.L.

17. Dewittmichiganwood

Dewittmichiganwood

The same setup in my SIG. Even though that's the 12ft trailer

18. amateur cutter

amateur cutter

Dump trailer all the way. A one ton dump will be far more expensive to maintain & keep up. Plus as stated, the tractor & trailer being pulled will limit the load in the truck considerably. I've got a 6X12 & fully loaded with Oak it's all my F250 wants to pull. Only drawback is it's two trips to get a tractor to the job site if I wanna load with hydraulics. Or two trucks.

19. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Yup
    I drive a tri axle Rolloff daily and some days with pup trailer . The truck cops more than not will pass up a big truck for a pickup trailer combo cuz it's a bigger catch. Once your over 10K or dual wheels it's considered commercial. Insurance companies look at it the same way.
    My take on the trailer/truck idea is go with a <10K trailer . A lot less maintenance/insurance. Trailers also seem to hold value well.

20. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

I don’t have a dump trailer but have been interested. Kinda like a pickup but bigger, you can do a lot of things with it.