In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

UGH.. how do these places survive, MRI update

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by ironpony, Sep 5, 2019.

1. ironpony

ironpony

So I rescheduled my MRI so I thought. Quick update I went last week and it did not workout.
    I get up this morning eat breakfast take the valium head to the hospital. I arrive 15 minutes early as requested. Go to registration they say I am no where on the schedule but I can be on standby or reschedule again for next week.
    So after rearranging my schedule and my wifes it was a total waste of time. I said just forget about it got up and walked out.
    Wife could not believe I did that as I am the most patient man in the world.
    I did receive a call from a hospital rep which I missed because I do not carry my phone around, I will caller back shortly. Then I have to call my Dr and get another prescription.
    Thinking about just forgetting about it as the pain is not bad.
    All I knows that if I ran my business this way I would be bankrupt.

Rant over.

2. papadave

papadave

Sorry to hear about that IP.
    Ineptitude is rampant, or at least fairly common.

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Man, sorry to hear about your frustrations... Hopefully you can get the issue resolved....:confused:

4. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

I hear ya ironpony I have little to no patience in medical facilities and have walked out on more than one occasion. I had a receptionist chase me into the parking lot. I have zero tolerance for incompetence. I know in the end I am only hurting myself if it's something serious but in these instances it was not serious. I've had to wait for an appointment 20, 30, 40 minutes past my appointment time.

My father just went through this as well, he had some type of prostate test where he had to arrive with a full bladder. So he arrived and was waiting....waiting....waiting, now he's in severe pain and sweating, tells the receptionist once, she can't do anything, tells her again, nothing........... then he said screw this goes to the bathroom she's like sir... sir... he said are you outta your mind making me wait like this am in pain with a full bladder and walks out.............Father like son I guess....!

5. billb3

billb3

What's worse ?
    Some one else's purported incompetence or the inability to deal with it ?

Chazsbetterhalf and brenndatomu like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

I completely understand your situation ironpony. Sometimes it really gets difficult to deal with. I've had numerous situations so now have very little tolerance for them. Like the time I had one scheduled and they called me to see if I could come in 3 hours early as they had an opening. I did. Still waited over an hour in the waiting room...

One I just had to remind my doctor about. He wanted to schedule an appointment for my wife with a certain doctor and I flat out said no way. I had an appointment with him and waited 2 hours past the appointment. I was ready to leave so asked the receptionist how much longer. It sounds as though it would at least another hour. I asked for my papers back and left with instructions; "Don't call me. I'll call you. In addition, don't bother billing me else I too would send a bill for the time I wasted."

My family doctor used to be always late until he and I had a discussion about it. I told him that was the utmost in lack or respect for his patients. We try to respect the doctors but when we get no respect in return, what are we to think? I rarely wait for that doctor now.

7. ironpony

ironpony

lets see

Arrange my schedule to be there
    Have wife do same she has to drive because I am on drugs
    get up early
    take valium
    drive 45 minutes to hospital
    check in and be told sorry we do not have you scheduled but you can sit here all day and maybe we can squeeze you in
    drive home 45 minutes
    can not do anything because I am now on valium and being everything I do involves power tools or heavy equipment not recommended

ya my inability.

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Can relate a buddy 53ish stopped by obviously in pain side.. I Checked his BP 145/105 high. Checked his sugar 145 (diabetic.) Drove him to hospital, they ran 6 hours of tests EKG kidney etc. 2 days later he calls me his Physical Therapist fixed it.. Floating rib dislocated.. Popped it in instant relief. Copay $20. Got bill from hospital that didn't see rib in EKG where put electrodes all over chest $1,225. :loco: :crazy::picard:

9. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

Sorry Bro!

10. ironpony

ironpony

Well I just found out today I will be going to the new facility opening on Sept 10th on Sept 10th at 7:30 am.
    I will be the first patient to use the new state of the art MRI machine.
    Maybe as they say everything happens for a reason.

11. Flamestead

Flamestead

My biggest issue with my back was my primary care did the slow-walk. Thursday morning appt for initial diagnosis, then sent off to hospital for x-ray so let’s schedule the follow up for next Tuesday. I had the imaging done and back in their hands by Thursday evening and there was no way I was burning 3 more PTO (vacation, right?) days waiting to get back in (and never mind the pain). I got to know the front office people pretty well with my multiple phone calls. Exact same issue with MRI (going to have to wait up to a week for it to be mailed). No, we got a CD while still at the hospital and drove it back to primary care and then started the phone calls for the next step again (I had a lot of time on my hands and made use of it).

Best of luck, be your own advocate, and challenge their sleepwalking complacency.